Fuel gauge always showing full ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

soggy57
Junior Bongonaut

Fuel gauge always showing full ?

Post by soggy57 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello Folks, my fuel gauge has a life of its own so have done the earth mod using a wire to the seat slider bolt.The gauge now rises to the full position but the tank is def not full.Any opinions fully appreciated!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel gauge always showing full ?

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25 pm

This should help you test what's happening, about 4 posts down - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=33920.

Wondering if you earthed the wrong wire? Or did you just earth the tank? More info here - http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... fuel+gauge
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 am

It does sound like both wires earthed.

Try undoing your fix at the sender end and touching that end of the wire to the sender screws or any other bit of clean metal on the fuel tank. Hopefully that will give you the correct reading and you can then permanently attach the wire there.

Obvious safety warning - don't hold the exposed bit of wire while the ignition is on! :shock:
95 N Reg 4WD Manual AFT Bongo

Image Image
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 am

Obvious safety warning - don't hold the exposed bit of wire while the ignition is on! :shock:
Why not? it's only 12v - no way you'll even feel that, never mind get any sort of shock.

Don't lick it, fair enough, you'd feel that!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:25 am

Unplug the white connector to the sender & see if the fuel gauge drops to zero? If it don't could be the actual gauge??

I think i got that right..?!! Does sound like a short at that point in the system, causing a constant full reading...? (Like the recommended gauge test..)
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
soggy57
Junior Bongonaut

Post by soggy57 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 am

Right I've filled the tank so I know where I stand.I pulled the white plug out and put the wire back into the left hand side and re-attached.After half an hour the fuel gauge then only read half even though I know its full.I've now taken the new wire completely out of the white connector and attached it to one of the 8 screws on top of the sender unit[this is still connected to the chair runner bolt and plugged back in the white plug.The gauge has again risen to the full mark. I'm hoping it starts to drop as I drive about this week!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Why not do the testing as described in the link I posted? Then you'll know.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:54 pm

dave_aber wrote:
Why not? it's only 12v - no way you'll even feel that, never mind get any sort of shock.

Several people die each year from licking PP3 9V batteries to check whether they still have any juice! 12V can give you a nasty shock and can potentially stop your heart.
tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Poohbear wrote:
dave_aber wrote:

Several people die each year from licking PP3 9V batteries to check whether they still have any juice! 12V can give you a nasty shock and can potentially stop your heart.
Not much voltage, but a starter batter can deliver a fair old current. You should be ok, but better not to risk it.

Image Image
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Poohbear wrote:
dave_aber wrote:

I don't know about that?!! But i normally carry a spare in my pocket for my radio mike, just in case... While gigging i Switzerland earlier this year i felt my leg burning & realized the battery had shorted to a forgotten Swiss frank! :shock:

I've never licked a PP3, but i have inhaled a smoke machine....
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:07 pm

I can see why yer cautious Pooh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhF2v35qU2c
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:20 pm

jaylee wrote:I can see why yer cautious Pooh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhF2v35qU2c
:lol: :lol: Good one!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Poohbear wrote:Several people die each year from licking PP3 9V batteries to check whether they still have any juice! 12V can give you a nasty shock and can potentially stop your heart.
Pardon ? Where on earth did you read that!!!! That I am afraid is utter nonsense!

The heart needs about 15mA of current thru it to cause fibrillation, even 50 volts is insufficient to cause this when connected between the hands. Other than making a connection under the skin itself, into the dermis layer and applying around 80 volts again between hands/arms there is no way you will get the resistance down sufficiently to cause other than a mild to strong tingle in the nerves of the arms.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Regardless of which, it's always safest to keep well away from live power supplies (and charged capacitors and hot resistors etc).

My last comment on safety as it won't help fix the fuel guage! :mrgreen:

Image Image
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:29 pm

unless you are some sort of lizard with 2 tongues anchored deep into your chest cavity, the path of least resistance from the + to the - of a PP3 will be a long way from your heart!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Techie Stuff”