Continental Vanco Contact 2 Tyres

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

RFR747

Continental Vanco Contact 2 Tyres

Post by RFR747 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 pm

Has anyone fitted these tyres? I had a pair of 215 65 R15 fitted on the rear and now need to replace them after only 9500 miles!! They are fitted to a 4WD AFT (un- converted) with a pair of 195 70 R15 Continental Vanco 2's on the front fitted at the same time that still have lots of life in them yet. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Re: Continental Vanco Contact 2 Tyres

Post by mister munkey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Just replaced my rears after about 25,000 miles.

What pressures are you running at?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
Eat Aunt
Bongolier

Post by Eat Aunt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:00 am

Hi

I've used those tyres for the last 3 to 4 years

Excellent in my opinion.

I use the same size for all 4 corners, so when the rears wear out, I put the fronts on the rear, and fit new Conti's to the front.

Very happy with wear rate and grip

Ian

Black Std 2WD AFT

Reg: N...CBL (= Naughty Chimp But Lovely!)

Now 2001 V6 Tintop
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:23 am

I was using the 195/70 & 215/65 Vanco 2 setup for a couple of years, I was only getting about 15,000 to 17,000 miles out of a set of rears, but the grip in snow & ice was phenomenal.

I switched to Goodyear GT2 on the rear and got much better life out of them but nowhere near the grip. You pays your money etc :wink:
BongoBonkers
Bongolier

Post by BongoBonkers » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:28 am

I used Vanco exclusively for several years on our work vans. They were great in terms of load rating and grip although the wear rate was only average. As they became more expensive I was tempted to look at other things and tried a Nexxen R AT tyre. We have now used them for several years and are really happy with them (particularly in snow and ice). I used to be a tyre snob but I am of the opinion that even a 'bad' modern tyre is still pretty good and most of these tyres are manufactured in the same facility and branded accordingly.....

After the success with the R AT's on the vans we then fitted 4 CP464's on the Bongo. These too have been excellent and are hardly worn after about 20,000m and 3 years now.... They are also great in low grip conditions. We got caught by unexpected snow on a high mountain pass in France (I absolutely sha* my pants!) but they didn't slide one inch on the twisty decent....The only possible issue is perhaps the load rating could be a little higher for the rears. Although the numbers are OK and I'm sure they aren't dangerous they do have a slightly bulging sidewall appearance. We run at 42 psi too, find this helps on the Bongatron - she's a big old beast!

So in summary, my experience is don't get hung up on a Conti's too much - you really will be paying for the name sometimes but at the end of the day you pays yer money, etc. Good luck
Major Grump

Post by Major Grump » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:22 pm

RFR747 wrote:Has anyone fitted these tyres? I had a pair of 215 65 R15 fitted on the rear and now need to replace them after only 9500 miles!! They are fitted to a 4WD AFT (un- converted) with a pair of 195 70 R15 Continental Vanco 2's on the front fitted at the same time that still have lots of life in them yet. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
These are what I bought after a lot of reading and speaking to a friend that drives a tuned diesel Mercedes van. Haven't done many miles but they seem to hold the road and give a good ride. £362 I think for 4 from Event Tyres.

Return to “Techie Stuff”