CV Joint

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

LeCCy

CV Joint

Post by LeCCy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:14 pm

My bongo has developed a loud knocking sound when turning on near full lock. Unfortunatly this started when I was up in Iceland and it has gotten progressively worse in the last week on the journey home to the UK.

The link below is to an image of the joint. The boot was like that once I looked, it it doesnt seem split but just seems to have lost the two clips which retain it ( like on the passenger side which seems ok.) Could it just be that if the boot has come off some dirt has gotten into the joint which could be causing the problem? Is it likely that this could just be cleaned?

I am numpty at mechanics so:-

1. Can I assume that just buying more clips and resiting the boot wont solve the problem and a new joint is needed?

2. I have done maybe 700miles since the knocking started - can I continue to drive with this until its fixed without causing any further problems?

3. I see Ebay have service exchange joints at 100 notes, cant see any in the members shop - does any one know of a better (ie cheaper!) supplier

4. How many hours work should it take a competent garage to change?

Fully appreciate any advice from any of our more technically competent members.

http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleri ... 500&page=1
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:38 pm

You will need a new joint if it's been knocking for that distance LeCCy. Assuming the joint isn'r seized into the hub then it shouldn't be a big job to change, I'm guessing an hour and a half / 2 hours total
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
LeCCy

Post by LeCCy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:49 am

Jiust wanted to close this post down.

Bought the joint from Bongo Bits, had it fitted today and all good.

Joint was fitted by SR in Meden Vale, Notts ( on members factsheet) and once again a great service - quoted ?35 and only charged that even though in the event it was seized and took twice as long as quoted to get off!

Good garage

Russ

Return to “Techie Stuff”