Headlights

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Headlights

Post by Bogmonster40 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Drove home from West Wales last night and pulled over twice thinking that my lights were not working they were that dull. Decided to give them a good clean today but they still do not seem that bright 8)
So going to bite the bullett and get two new headlights - If I could ask my "Learned co/owners" on here 2 questions.

1 - what will the approx cost be for two new headlight units
2 - is it a straight forward job to do. I am presuming that there are connections behind the lights which just un-clip and then i clip the new lights in ? or am I dillusional :lol:
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Headlights

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:29 pm

There are a couple of recent posts of fitting UK Astra lights in ...

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ts&start=0

This is a guy who needed a LHD conversion ...
maxi_77 wrote:Here are some pictures of the new headlamps

Bare light unit

Box with part number

Installed

Couple of shots of the installation.

It took the garage about 4 hours to complete the installation but as the going rate here is just over 20 euros an hour that was not to bad. The units cost 48 euros for the pair from the local car parts supplier and here anyway are stock items. Also the lenses are clipped on and the local place can get LHD replacement lenses and claim we should be able to get RHD lenses in the UK.

Another interesting small point is that here the fog lanp switch should have a yellow lamp not red as we use in the UK, but the MOT place has given me a whole year to fix that.
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Do you mean headlamp units or just the bulbs? Unless the lenses are badly scratched or tarnished (which can often be polished out) then it would seem logical and cheaper to start with new bulbs. The one that come up now and again at Lidl are made by Osram and are noticeably better than average ones from Halfords. Also check for dodgy earth connection as that can result in poor output.

In terms of changing headlamp units, remove from grille, undo a few 10mm bolts and pull the unit out. I seem to recall there is a screw that fixes the indicator to the top of the lamp which will need to be undone either before or after the headlamp. Cost of second hand ones: from £20 upto about £150 for brand new.
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:30 pm

I'd start with new bulbs as Simon Jones suggested and have the lenses polished first.
I had one of my lenses polished by 'Chips Away' for £20 :D , Job Done :wink:
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Post by nicstrike » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:39 pm

easy diy job. best done off the vehicle on the bench , or lap. set to with wet and dry (1000 then 1500 then 2000 grade) , cutting compound then polish. you need to make sure that you get rid of all the old anti uv film as it's this that tints off to that horrible yellowy green colour. after a good buffing you will end up with lights that are clearer than a clear thing! about an hours work a side.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 am

+50% bulbs and toothpaste on the lenses.....usually does the trick.... Crest is best for this although have used Euthymol...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Post by rhino-wayne » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:15 am

Replaced my headlight bulbs last week with ultra bright white light bulbs :shock: , made a big difference!
better get out the toothpaste now :mrgreen: worth trying all improvements :wink:
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:52 am

Try the product called T CUT (original, not the coloured stuff), bit of elbow grease and patience that seems to work on cleaning the headlight, be careful if you use a buffer the lights are plastic and will melt.
Lost without my Bongo.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:39 am

Hi,

This might give you an Idea of what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:36 pm

great stuff - thanks guys......although if anyone else told me to put toothpaste on my lights i would think they were taking the urine........buuut i'll give it a go.
especially if a new set of headlights costs £150 !!!! WTF........
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:31 pm

I've just put some Osram nightbreaker + bulbs in and it's made a hell of a difference.
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:12 pm

philpdr wrote:I've just put some Osram nightbreaker + bulbs in and it's made a hell of a difference.
What did they cost phil - did u get them in a motor factors place or halfrauds ????
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:16 am

Bought them off ebay £10.95 +£2.49 p&p,arrived in 2 days.Sellers name is motac autocentre.Money well spent!!

Return to “Techie Stuff”