Slovenia?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

feeblecat
Bongolier

Slovenia?

Post by feeblecat » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:23 am

Got a wee notion for Slovenia. Anyone been? Comments? Also, dog-friendly? Thanks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Slovenia?

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:27 am

feeblecat wrote:Got a wee notion for Slovenia. Anyone been? Comments? Also, dog-friendly? Thanks
A few have, and all sing its praise. Have a search and all will be revealed. :-)
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks, just read the links, looks a truly lovely place. We fell in love with that general area this year (austria, czech republic, bavaria) and fancy heading there again taking in Slovenia and Austria. When we went this year we stopped a few times on the way down from Dunkerque each stop for a few days. If I wanted to head straight for Slovenia with only overnights but without hammering the drive, realistically would we be looking at 2 or 3 overnights can anyone advise. Thanks in advance
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Lovely site - and not too regimented! :)

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe ... ca-105160/
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:38 pm

We're planning on a trip down there at the beginning of August through Germany and Austria and then back to French Alpes via Italy. Looks absolutely fab :)
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:05 am

Hi
PM member "Spikethorne"...they live there...nice folk
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:37 pm

feeblecat wrote:Got a wee notion for Slovenia.
The wanderlust has struck with us too having read lots of threads here and also watched (whisper and duck head below parapet) a youtube blog from campervan culture.com of their trip in a Westy to Pag Island, Croatia and back last summer.

Slovenia and Croatia do look brilliant don't they?

Basic question on gas bottles though. What types/makes/connectors etc? Any tips welcome.

Feebleact, keep us updated on your plans please.

Ideas, ideas, ideas.......................need something to keep me going when at work :roll:
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Safer taking Camping Gaz with you.

Croatia has stunning islands but not a lot of shade in high summer. Plenty of campsites and wild camping in places as long as it isn't too blatent.

Julien Alps in Slovenia are stunning, cool in the evening and not too many rules - go for it - We're going back sometime :D
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks folks. Yes, really fancy Slovenia. Would like to go back to Austria so would fit Slovenia in as well. Couldnt see past France till this year and really taken with the different places we went to. We are quite up for trying different places-the only thing going against us is the time available. Hubby went travelling in the 80's to Iran, Iraq, pakistan, india and has passed on his inner adventurer to me. So much to see, so little time lol. I so wish I could get more than 3 weeks at a time and retirement is a good way off!
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:05 am

dandywarol-just googled the Julien Alps, looks just like my kind of place. Looking at the maps it looks like I could enjoy some time between there and the beach resorts to the west-would I be right in thinking the distance would not be too great? Also, can anyone tell me if dogs are allowed on the beaches and how busy they would be from around 20th August? Thanks
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:05 am

dandywarol-just googled the Julien Alps, looks just like my kind of place. Looking at the maps it looks like I could enjoy some time between there and the beach resorts to the west-would I be right in thinking the distance would not be too great? Also, can anyone tell me if dogs are allowed on the beaches and how busy they would be from around 20th August? Thanks
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Don't know about dogs FC - not a doggie person...................

It would be a bit of a trek from the Alps to the beach - maybe best to do 2 centres

Alan
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
BongoBonkers
Bongolier

Post by BongoBonkers » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:52 pm

I went to Slovenia a few years ago and can thoroughly recommend it. We climbed the Triglav with an overnight in a hut on the hill. Arriving in darkness and getting to the hut by moonlight was quite an experience that I'll never forget. Apparently the huts can be busy in summer so you may have to book. Fantastic experience for anyone of average fitness used to a bit of hill-walking. There are posts and wires to guide you on any more serious sections.

Other than that we stayed in Ljubljana for a night (stag-do) which was a lovely city. It has a great feel to it, particularly around this kind-of old prison-type building which is now given over to a really vibrant scene with loads and loads of young people and cafes, bars, art things, etc...It was a very good place with some great rave-like nightlife. This was about five years ago so may be different now....

We attempted to visit the beach but Slovenia has a very small coastline and we actually missed it somehow and ended up on an Italian beach. This was nothing special and perhaps the area's weakpoint (although I could be wrong as we were badly hung over by now...).

I would deffo recommend a trip to Slovenia although not for beaches based on my experience. The locals were friendly and you could get by with a bit of english and international sign language. Cheap enough and beautiful mountain scenery in the right parts. Also, found it really interesting learning about their past with communism, etc and the balkan troubles - as a thirty something we've had it easy in UK that's for sure.

If it's of any use in your research my approximate best destinations ever so far are:

Sardinia - particularly North West, North and North East. The best beaches and mountains too.
Costa Brava - Palamos to El Port de la Selva. Beaches with a bit of crag.
Chamonix valley - hanging around the mountains.

Good luck!
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Sounds fantastic, now for some serious planning for end July, early August 2012....................

dandywarhol wrote:Safer taking Camping Gaz with you.
Thanks for the tip
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
Chucky

Post by Chucky » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Sorry - have been really slack but we did a 4 month trip the summer just gone (2011) in the bongo and it was one of our favourite spots. (Am about to do a write up on here with photo's)

Green mountain ranges, white water rafting, mountain biking, gliding the new adventure capital of Europe. Spent a bit of time in Bovec for this kind of stuff but also in Llubjana, Lake Bled etc. Beautiful rugged country side but great surfaced roads and a lot follow valleys between the mountains. We even took the Bongo on a car train to avoid 1 decent range but also cheaper than driving the range. From memory it was 18 euros for a two hour train trip that save over 150kms which is cheaper than what we were getting in milage! And add in the novelty factor you can't beat it!

If you want any details just PM me and I'll go into more details!

Return to “Going Abroad”