Camping Card International

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

miraz
Bongonaut

Camping Card International

Post by miraz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:51 pm

What is a CCI?? We've camped round France, Spain, Italy, UK and never heard of the CCI but I've just read about it on the RAC website! Is it worth getting?

Cheers :D
1995 2.5tdi 2wd Herts
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Re: Camping Card International

Post by seventiesboy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:05 pm

From what I understand the CCI card is a type of identity card or passport that can be left at campsite reception when booking in. I am not sure whether there are any discounts that go with it.
There is also the ACSI card that does give discount at affilianted sites that are in their guidebook.
You pay for both so I guess you take your choice.
Hope this helps.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
Rhinoman
Bongolier

Post by Rhinoman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:27 am

Last time I went camping abroad (Scandinavia) the camp sites would only accept Camping Club members. They would accept a UK card but as I didn't have one I joined the Danish Camping Club at the first site.
1995 Ford Freda, 2.5TD, auto, AFT, side conversion.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:19 pm

I had an international camping carnet back in the 80s but never got asked to produce it. Surely a Bongo Fury Card can get you in anywhere? :)
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:04 am

There are sites that require some identification either for their records or as security should you leave without paying. On some occasions they are required to do that. Some even ask you to leave your passport. The CCI card is useful there.
I have on occasion handed over an outdated card, they never notice. It is also useful so they can copy your details instead of trying to understand your pronunciation. So perhaps the Bongofury card would do just as well in those circs. I've never tried that.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi
Technically, the CCI can be left at the desk of the site instead of your passport, as you are committing an offence giving your passport to anyone. Many hotels keep them at the desk , as with campsites, so the local police can see them when they call to see which foreigners are in residence. This is merely a convenience offered to guests, otherwise you would have to go to the police station, to inform them that you are staying. This happens less and less in Europe, but, nonetheless is law.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:13 pm

I can't lay my hands on my CCI at the moment, but I know it has my passport number on it. I'm not sure about other details. As has been said before it is acceptable instead of a passport with some campsites. It also provides the holder with third party liability insurance.

I think there are some campsites who provided a discount to card holders, but it is not a discount card as such, it is proof of identity.

It is usually the smaller, private or municipal campsites that require the card in France, although from memory it is a legal requirement by Italian campsites to leave a card or your passport at reception. I don't personally know about other countries. I remember that a hotel I stayed in once was also happy to have it instead of my passport which was just as well as I needed my passport to cash my travellers cheques at the bank (many years ago!!)

I always carry one, but it's a while since I have had to use mine as for the last three years we have pre-booked sites in France and Spain. I suspect that by pre-booking and pre-paying a deposit by credit card they have been reasonably satisfied with the name and address details provided at the time.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi
The onus is on you to inform the police , and the campsite or hotel ask for your passport, as it is an obligation to show the police in certain countries. If you don't wish to hand over your passport, then you don't have to, as long as you can prove that you notified the police yourself in ANY country which requires it. Should you or the hotel lose your passport , you're in lumber. Technically, if you give your passport, you should have a receipt...even then, it will mean that you will have to get to the Embassy to sort it out....Your passport should be carried at all times in a country which has a legal requirement to carry an ID card. ID cards for foreigners over here do not have a photo in some districts , and so a passport must be carried IN ADDITION..., BUT...that only applies in some districts, as others WILL issue a photocard for resident foreigners, so it's advisable to find out whether an ID card is mandatory in that country, so the whole issue of passports is complex, but suffice it to say, it's safest to keep it with you, as a stolen passport is a valuable commodity....
A good solution is to carry a notarised copy of your passport.
Nowadays, they'll photocopy your passport and e-mail it to the police at a hotel or campsite, so you shouldn't have long to wait for its return. It is often as much to do with tax evasion, and to ensure that all guests are registered. England is almost alone in the EU with regards to being able to stroll into a hotel and stay, as there is no system of ID cards...I fully support ID cards
Get a camping card! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Going Abroad”