Contemplating buying another Bongo - Should I?

jamiemacp

Contemplating buying another Bongo - Should I?

Post by jamiemacp » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Folks,
I have been browsing and occasionally posting on this forum for a few years and have previoulsy owned two bongos here in Aberdeen.
I sold my last one approx a year ago, but having got a new dog at Christmas and our two kids getting bigger by the day, I have been considering buying another primarily for the space and the 4x4, however I need to be sure its what we need etc. Having had them before I know what they are all about but wondered what other owners have done to or put into their cars to try and modernise or make more comfortable to own and use?
I do not mean anything bling etc, but decent interior upgrades, entertainment, mods etc etc.
Are you all happy with your bongos still or do you wish you had bought something else instead and if so then what?
Any encouragment/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jamie
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Re: Contemplating buying another Bongo - Should I?

Post by M 80NGO » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 pm

With an interior space the size of the Bongo's the worlds your oyster really, how deep is ya wallet ? some peeps have flip down tv / DVD's in the rear, some have decent sounds and others just leave em as mazda intended its all down to personal taste :wink:

Personally our Bongo is another member of the family and i can't think of another vehicle that can deliver what the bongo delivers for the same £££££, Old vw's are slow, thirsty and need constant attention and newer ones are just too much money and dated where as i believe that the bongo offers good all round service.

We use our bongo for work every day aswell as camping, towing the caravan, lugging kayaks about, taking the kids and there friends to various skate parks and if you have a half decent mechanical knowledge then you can maintain it for a fraction of the cost of a more complicated vehicle.

Ours is a 2.5 TD but i personally think that maybe a V6 with lpg conversion could well be the way to go :wink:
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 am

Jamie

The fact that you are even thinking about going back to another Bongo tells you a whole lot about the vans :wink: For my money (and our use) mazda got it right with the basic concept, it may be that flip down screens etc are your bag, but we are happy with the view out of the window and a decent head unit of radio, ipod & cd, plus of course the camping and 'day van' options.

My guess is that you are already converted.... its just a question of time before you have another Bongo in your life. :D
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Post by Grahame at work » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:42 pm

hi Jamie,

Happy New Year to you & family

It will be nice to see you with another Bongo again - although the Aberdeen population is always growing its good to wave to another one you know.

I would have thought that as long as its a free top your kids would be delighted no matter what you add. All my grandchildren just enjoy traveling in ours :D - but I have to admit that I have been considering putting in an over-ride on the dash to stop them 'playing' with the blinds all the time. :twisted:
We have got a portable DVD having decided that I didn't want to go down the 'fixed' position route but so far no other added stuff.

By the way I'm very happy with the V6 I've got - even considering the slightly higher fuel costs compared to the old diesel.

Many regards Grahame & valerie
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
jamiemacp

Post by jamiemacp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi folks,
Thanks for the replies. I think you are all right in what you say and having had two already, I know what they are all about, I was more thinking about what it is that keeps your interest in the car to want to keep it? I have agreed a price on the one I want (4x4 2000 facelift freetop) but before I hand over the money, I want to know that I am going to keep this one for a significant amount of time.
Actually reading back, I should just shut-up and go and get the car and live with the consequences!!!! :D
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:25 pm

We were all excited about buying one last summer and had a ball. Our old dog died in December and when we thought we'd not have another dog for ages, we went and bought a puppy which we take home at the end of the month. I get a buzz every time I go in the bongo but we just won't use the van anymore so will be selling up in the spring. Despite not being an owner for long, it's the buzz of it that will make selling hard to do. So I guess to answer your question, for us if we had not bought a new dog, we would have kept it just cos we could!
jamiemacp

Post by jamiemacp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 pm

Well, the deed is done and deposit has been paid on a 2000 facelift 4X4 autotop with 67k miles and in immaculate condition! lets see if I can keep it for longer than a year? :-)
Excited again now that decision has been made but going to have to wait for a couple of weeks yet before we get it. Photos to follow.
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Post by Grahame at work » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Congratulations Jamie,
=D> =D>

I’ll look out for you next month. May you have many happy Bongoing hours. 8) 8)

Regards Grahame & Valerie
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
doctorclifford

Post by doctorclifford » Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 am

Jamie,
Where did you order yours from?
Just thinking about best place to buy, here in Scotland.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 pm

100% happy with mine, used as a second days out car, two adults and two kids 12 and 15 but both 5ft 10"!, often take the elderly inlaws with us too, we find it ideal, fitted a rear kitchen and better stereo.
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Fri May 04, 2012 11:21 pm

doctorclifford wrote:Jamie,
Where did you order yours from?
Just thinking about best place to buy, here in Scotland.
we got ours from campers Scotland in tillicoutry, very happy wit it. Bill at campercraft also very helpful.
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
doctorclifford

Post by doctorclifford » Sat May 05, 2012 8:09 am

ok thanks - lots of votes for Campercraft.
might tootle over there today! not far.

i think the rear kitchen idea is one we'll go for.
do you get a full bed with the rear kitchen?
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Sat May 05, 2012 8:53 am

doctorclifford wrote:ok thanks - lots of votes for Campercraft.

sure, but if you have the funds getting the seat reupholstered so its flat is by far the best option 8)
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 am

mentaliss wrote:

sure, but if you have the funds getting the seat reupholstered so its flat is by far the best option 8)

Who/where would do that sort of work? Could be interested..

Derek
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Sat May 05, 2012 9:22 am

Dr Fingers wrote:
mentaliss wrote:

Who/where would do that sort of work? Could be interested..

Derek

KEVIN BAGGS at poole...Google it for details, have a look 'at my conversion'..in topic..'converting bongos to campervans'

Return to “Scotland”