French speed cameras

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

briwy
Supreme Being

French speed cameras

Post by briwy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:20 pm

As from 5/1/2012 it is now illegal to have any form of speed camera warning.

This includes GPS powered ones which were previously OK.

Make sure you turn the warnings off on your device if going there.
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Re: French speed cameras

Post by technophobe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:54 pm

Does this mean the last years Michelin Map is illegal?
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:23 pm

technophobe wrote:Does this mean the last years Michelin Map is illegal?
Taken from a google translation...

Article R413-15
Amended by Decree No. 2012-3 of January 3, 2012 - art. 22 22

I. I. - The possession or carrying a machine, device or product of nature or presented as being capable of detecting the presence or disrupt the operation of apparatus, instruments or systems for the recognition of violations of the law or regulation road traffic or allow to avoid the recognition of these offenses is punishable by a fine for contraventions of the fifth class.

Having to use a machine, device or product of the same nature is the same penalties.

II. II. - When the machine, device or product is placed, adapted or applied to a vehicle, this vehicle can also be entered.

III. III. - Any person guilty of an offense under this section is liable also the following additional penalties:

1° The additional penalty of suspension for a period of three years at most, driver's license, the suspension may be limited to driving outside professional activity;

2° confiscation of the vehicle when the device was used or intended to commit the offense is placed, adapted or applied to a vehicle.

Any conviction automatically leads to the confiscation of the device that was used or intended to commit the offense.

IV. IV. - This ticket gives rise automatically to the reduction of six points in the driver's license.

V. V. - The provisions of this Article shall also apply to products or devices to warn or inform the location of equipment, instruments or systems used for finding violations of the law or regulation of traffic.

This text makes it no clearer. Playing devil's advocate, I'd say that a map is a 'product' and if it can 'inform [of] the location of equipment', then you'd better burn it now. :wink:
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Tomtom advise to update the camera database which will remove French locations.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:15 pm

technophobe wrote:Does this mean the last years Michelin Map is illegal?
I don't think so, lots of the cameras aren't shown on the Michelin map anyway as they are out of date when printed. Not that many fixed cameras there and if you miss them you have to be blind as they are huge things generally with whopping big warning signs
The gendarmes are now setting up more and more sneakily hidden cameras on little tripods that can't be seen easily. There is then a copper on a motorbike down the road for chasing and stopping. And they come out to play in the middle of the night, totally unreasonable. :wink:
technophobe
Tribal Elder

Post by technophobe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:07 pm

V. V. - The provisions of this Article shall also apply to products or devices to warn or inform the location of equipment, instruments or systems used for finding violations of the law or regulation of traffic.

This text makes it no clearer. Playing devil's advocate, I'd say that a map is a 'product' and if it can 'inform [of] the location of equipment', then you'd better burn it now. :wink:

I wander if 2012 Michelin will also show them :P If so do we have a case against Michelin? But usually we don't go fast enough :D
Richard & Jo

1995 SGL5 Black over silver clear windows

Return to “Going Abroad”