Breathalyser now required in France?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

gasace
Bongolier

Breathalyser now required in France?

Post by gasace » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm

I have just heard from a friend that this year it will be a requirement to have a breath testing kit in any vehicle driven in France. Does anybody know if it is true? it sounds ridiculous but knowing how good the French are at finding new ways to fine people (especially the English) :shock: it is possible
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: Breathalyser now required in France?

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 pm

I believe it is indeed true, but not yet law :wink: I reckon most English campers would fail a French breathalyser anyway. The limits are lower than in this country and loads of cheap beer and wine gets consumed the night before :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:27 am

Hi
Trouble is, John, that there are so many half-way decent wines in France, that one must sample in one's travels...a bottle per person with a meal is more or less de-rigueur, isn't it?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 am

I've just spoken to Brittany Ferries who've never heard of this.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41 am

There is a reference to it here in the Connexion paper http://www.connexionfrance.com/news_art ... hp?id=3266
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Supposed to be law in the Spring, whenever that is.

On sale in some French supermarkets and no doubt will be in ferry terminals.
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 pm

So even if you are teetotal you still need to carry a breathalyser to prove to yourself how pissed you’re not?
If someone is really stupid enough to drink and contemplate driving do they really think that a self-administered breath test will stop them getting behind the wheel?
If the breathalyser was built into the car and connected to the cars engine management system that could prevent the car from starting if over a certain limit, that might work.

Personally, I would prefer a zero tolerance approach both here and there.
Simples, if you have drunk alcohol it’s illegal to drive, no excuses. Why make exceptions?
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:57 pm

You don't get many teetotalers in France :lol: The breathalysers don't cost much, so better safe than sorry 8) There are lots of laws we may not agree with, but we're still obliged to obey them.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:31 pm

Yeah i agree, buy the breathalyser to comply with their law.

But my point was, if your going to drive dont drink anything. There really is no excuse. Cant get any safer than that.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

borntobag wrote:But my point was, if your going to drive dont drink anything. There really is no excuse. Cant get any safer than that.
Well that would certainly cut journey times - there'd barely be anybody on the roads and loads of Bongos abandoned at campsites :lol: :lol:
John
borntobag

Post by borntobag » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:14 am

dont see whats so funny...surley that would mean all the ignorant arrogant self centred w***kers who drink and drive wouldnt be on the road.
I pressume by your frivolity and flipancy towards the subject you fall into that category, I however speak from a different perspective as someone who has lost a loved one directly as a result of an ars***e who got tanked up one evening and thought he was still ok to drive to work the next morning.

Its not difficult...just be responsible....If you are going to drink dont drive! you dont need a friggin breathalyser!
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:54 am

borntobag wrote:Yeah i agree, buy the breathalyser to comply with their law.

But my point was, if your going to drive dont drink anything. There really is no excuse. Cant get any safer than that.

Daft point - for how long after ? Taking into account a good night sleep , differences in gender, metabolism, weight etc should u wait an hr, a day, a week ? By having a reliable POlice endorsed machine I think this would dramatically reduce morning after drink driving but of course this would reduce revenue so they won't !!! Made the same points on Hants police FB page but surprise surprise they couldn't / wouldn't respond !!!
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:27 pm

I was taught that each unit of alcohol is at its highest level at one hour after consumption. It then takes a further hour for the unit to be metabolised by the liver. So say you have three units at 7pm they might be out of your system by 11pm.

I think having a breathalyser is not a bad idea, if nothing else for peace of mind.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:37 pm

One problem is that most people think in terms of the number of pint, cans or bottles that they have drunk. Few if any seem to know exactly what a unit is and how it is connected to their consumption. It looks like this information should be stamped on the cans etc in large letters.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 am

A few more bits of information here again http://www.connexionfrance.com/Breath-t ... ticle.html
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Going Abroad”