Breathalyser now required in France?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Breathalyser now required in France?

Post by mikexgough » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Kits on sale in Halfrauds at the usual stupid prices....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Ok! so buy one, at least if you did have a drink you can test yourself and act accordingly.
Native Warrior
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Native Warrior » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 am

We'll be in France when the new law comes in. Apparently you can buy the breathalysers for one Euro in petrol stations. No doubt there will be a massive hike in the price in July :evil:
1997 silver over grey AFT, Suzuki Ignis 4grip, Kawasaki ZZR1400, Honda CBF125
stefan442
Bongolier

Post by stefan442 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:12 am

haven't noticed any for sale here yet, I'll have a proper look today when I stop :)
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:10 pm

I believe you can buy them at the ferry terminals or some one mentioned Halfords. You can also buy them online Amazon
monein64
Junior Bongonaut

Post by monein64 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi all,

Firstly the serious answer - as of the 1st of July it will be the law to carry a breathalyser in your car, if a disposable one you can pick up from French supermarkets for 1 euro, purchase a couple as if you used it not applicable, not sure if just another not thought out compulsory law.

Why - my opinion if you live in rural France and it is village festival time taxi's are an arm and a leg if you can get one and people will jump in their car to drive the 5 Km + home hence the local police are constantly stopping cars, people tend to jump in their cars early the next day hence making people think before pulling away.

Now the fun of not driving - village festivals start in late July running into early September, weekends spent drinking the local wine and Ricard (Pernod, desired taste in quantity) followed by passing out in your tent or motor home, tents populate the village on pavements to the local graveyard. If you are in France at this time you must visit and enjoy the wine and live music. Feel the throb of your head the next day

Sat in the garden with family the other month testing how many glasses of wine before the breathalyser proved what we already obtained, little bit of entertainment though.
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:22 pm

gasace wrote:I have just heard from a friend that this year it will be a requirement to have a breath testing kit in any vehicle driven in France. Does anybody know if it is true? it sounds ridiculous but knowing how good the French are at finding new ways to fine people (especially the English) :shock: it is possible
The caravan club advised in its member mag' that the breathalyser change would come into effect 26th June, however it has been reported that there will be a 'slap on the hand' for several months against prosecutions ........but as I said in my March post, What's the problem??? I have bought my breather' kits some months ago...would you not want to know if your under the influence of alcohol... don't forget a bottle of wine consumed at night could leave alcohol traces in your blood especially when you set off from the camp-site early morning 8)
FunkyD

Post by FunkyD » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 am

Wow, that wasn't really advertised... we are off in a few weeks to France and I never even saw this.

Thanks for the heads up.

On the subject of Zero tolerance the problem is that people use the current UK limit of 35 and work that back to 1.5 (ish) pints. As stated above this does not apply to all and everyone metabolises differently. If I have one pint of decent lager then I certainly feel the buzz, but would be legal to drive (i've tested it by asking a traffic unit who i knew). I still walked as i needed the exercise!!

The problem with an absolute zero is that 24 hours after having 2 pints some people would still show some levels of alcohol (albeit probably less than 5).. Zero means zero. You'd be perfectly fine, prob no worse than with a slight sniffle. Do we think that you should be prevented from driving if you had a cold? Think of the lost work days. It would cripple the economy.
A few beer and a lost day of work...self inflicted. Fine. Lost pay.
A cold...no control, yet cant get to work.... hmm
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:10 am

Brittany Ferries have told me (Today) that it must be done, as you may get a gendarme in a local village testing you out, and they may do a public "going to court ceremony" to remind people that it's not just for fun.

As for alcohol. After watching so many families lives destroyed by it (I worked in Casualty) it should be completely illegal to drink/drive at any limit.

It's costing the NHS millions, upon millions, it's costing our car insurance millions, upon millions, and as for our families and friends who have to pick up the very broken pieces..................

I now don't drink if I know I'm going to drive the following day - I don't want to hurt someone else by accident
FunkyD

Post by FunkyD » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:56 am

I appreciate this is going slightly of topic but I think the limit should be dropped to the lower levels as planned in Scotland, and penalties raised. A longer ban for 1st offence and a prison sentence for second offence.
Anyway, since I got the Bongo I've always got the train (inc journey back the next day) if I'm going out on the beer with mates in my old home town. Its actually a lot cheaper than driving the V6 50 miles each way!

Back on Topic :
I see a company has jumped on the marketing idea here. http://www.frenchbreathalyzer.com/ but it gives a bit of useful info.
I can find references to the 1st of November being the enforcable dates (law from 1st July) but nothing FORMALLY giving that leeway...For the sake of £2 just get one. They must be replaced every 2 years.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:22 am

Don't forget...... anyone off to France as of 1st July.... this weekend... NEEDS to have the Breathalyser kit on board.... the time of grace is over....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 am

What a totally pointless edict unless it carries with it an obligation to use it before setting off on every journey and proving that you have done so.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:00 am

Don't know whether it's true but I've heard it's relaxed for foreigners until November, but Frenchies have to comply from 1st July.

http://www.frenchbreathalyzer.com/

:wink:
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:34 pm

All ferry companies are giving out leaflets along with boarding passes to advise you of all the legal requirements for driving in France including the breathalyser. They also sell on board full kits or separate parts of kits. Full kit includes triangles, hi vis jackets, first aid kits and headlight deflectors.
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 pm

gasace wrote:I have just heard from a friend that this year it will be a requirement to have a breath testing kit in any vehicle driven in France. Does anybody know if it is true? it sounds ridiculous but knowing how good the French are at finding new ways to fine people (especially the English) :shock: it is possible
Yep! were off to south Brittany Saturday...Newhaven to Dieppe, bought our 'smelly breath' kits months ago.... Oh! just to dampen the spirits a bit, this law (if were still in the dreaded EU) is being proposed by the unelected Brussels bureaucrats for ALL member countries 8)

Return to “Going Abroad”