Misfire when cold

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

vance5868

Misfire when cold

Post by vance5868 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:34 pm

When cold my bongo (diesel) misfires and cough,s on tickover , but clears when warm . Could it be a problem with the injecters ? Thanks
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Depends when you had it serviced last, it could just be simply dirty plugs, seems a common complaint, rough start then smooth when warm, is there smoke when you start from cold, another sign of dirty plugs. I am sure someone will, hopefully also suggest other possibilities but look for the simple things first. Happy motoring.
shakey

Post by shakey » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:17 pm

Vance, I'm not being sarcastic, but are you waiting until the glowplug light on the dashboard goes out before starting the engine? Shakey
vance5868

Post by vance5868 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:37 pm

shakey wrote:Vance, I'm not being sarcastic, but are you waiting until the glowplug light on the dashboard goes out before starting the engine? Shakey
Yes mate , i understand what your saying but lasts for a mile or so when i get to junctions. Its not a constant missfire but a random one one every second or so ?
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:41 pm

Well I would definitely start with the plugs, mine was similar and new plugs solved it, got to be worth a go. Happy motoring.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:12 pm

Glow plugs don't 'glow' for a mile! If you don't fire up within about 30 seconds of the light going out they will be cold again!

Return to “Techie Stuff”