Awning suitable for a family of 5, any recommendations pls

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

umbongocat
Supreme Being

Re: Awning suitable for a family of 5, any recommendations p

Post by umbongocat » Fri May 18, 2012 5:50 pm

We're a family of 7 of us ages ranging from 18 to 4 years. Sometimes we camp alone just the two of us, sometimes all 7 of us, sometimes 6 of us and sometimes just 5 of us depending on where and when we're camping.

We've got a 4.2 Quecha for when it's 6/7 of us. It's true it doesn't fit onto the bongo but we've also got a quecha base tent which fits well. We have the 2 because we can use the base tent when it's only us.

We looked at the 4.1 Quecha but felt that the 4.2 gives more space and is just the same as putting up the 4.1. In addition, we can sleep in the middle section if we all want to be in the tent instead of the bongo :)

Good luck with the hunt :)
I love cheese!
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Fri May 18, 2012 6:50 pm

minidaz123 wrote:Quite a handy post :)
We've also been spending far too long looking at a selection of awnings for our family of 4 ( us and 2 boys aged 4 & 9 ).

Quite tempted with the Quechua 4.1 family, as it looks like it has a decent space and nice and easy to pitch. I think the only downside would be that it doesn't attach to the Bongo ( which isn't really an issue ), but i'm sure something could be knocked up to work :)

Hoping to get something sorted in time for the Bash, so still got a bit of time to decide tent or awning.
Here's a picture of the 4.1 - next to our Freda.

Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
bongoing-mad-simon
Bongolier

Post by bongoing-mad-simon » Tue May 22, 2012 6:45 pm

we have a kyham motordome sleeper, awning ,we have had this awning for four years now and we fit three children ages 8,13,and 15, two dogs ( westy, and a jack russel) myself and my wife. we have used it in weather as low as -8C.

piccies

in the snow
at woodlands

hope this helps
Simon

I'm Bongoing mad R U?
Rebiam
Bongolier

Post by Rebiam » Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi - just had a practise put up of my new Khyam Driveaway XC this weekend. Very easy to put up, loads of space and the tent pod has a divider so it can be used as one big room. Just for fun I had 5 adults lying in there and we all had plenty of room.
'98 Green over Silver 4WD AFT

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

Return to “Bongoing with Children”