Sunflower oil. a no-no

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Sunflower oil. a no-no

Post by Dr Fingers » Sat May 19, 2012 11:26 am

As above: just tried Tesco special offer Sunflower, immediate blocked fuel filter (I'm guessing, from symptoms). Or could this just be a coincidence? I put 20 litres in, on top of 2/3 full diesel, so roughly 30% mix. Ruby has been quite happy on rapeseed, but really doesn't like sunflower :(

Derek
Dabs
Supreme Being

Re: Sunflower oil. a no-no

Post by Dabs » Sat May 19, 2012 2:48 pm

I think sunflower oil is thicker than rapeseed and some brands contain emulsifiers that probably aint good for engines! At best your engine once your filter is cleaned will probably run on it but will be a bit rough!
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sat May 19, 2012 7:30 pm

After 'jumping' Ruby up and down the drive, blockage seems to have cleared. However, once she was feeling better, trotted off and whacked some diesel in on top of the sunflower.

Seems to be running ok, but will change fuel filter (and air filter) later this week.

In the meantime, I have 60 litres of Sunflower going spare. Have perfected the art of Greek deep-fried Calamares, so looks like that's going to be on the menu here for quite a while..in fact, if we ever get to a meet, I might just have a giant calamares cook up.... :D :D :D :D

Derek
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sat May 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Prob not the filter if now ok,just always best to mix out of the tank before you throw in.not as bad when warmer...it will be fine just maybe use a Lower mix..don't throw it away it looks like you just added too much that's all
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 am

chipvan wrote:Prob not the filter if now ok,just always best to mix out of the tank before you throw in.not as bad when warmer...it will be fine just maybe use a Lower mix..don't throw it away it looks like you just added too much that's all
Thanks. She is running fine again, but I think it's worth a filter change anyway. I have no idea when it was last done, so it won't hurt. I was thinking of adding an in-line filter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150479838563? ... 1952.l2649

Any reason why I shouldn't? Seems to me it would be much easier to replace one of these than the main one.

Derek
rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Post by rhino-wayne » Sun May 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:After 'jumping' Ruby up and down the drive, blockage seems to have cleared. However, once she was feeling better, trotted off and whacked some diesel in on top of the sunflower.
Was the engine cold :?:
I have used sunflower oil in the past, no problems, but usually added after the engine is hot/ at operating temperature & then topped up/mixed up in the tank with diesel .
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon May 21, 2012 7:58 am

'Twas cold, I must admit.

Lesson learned :wink:

Derek
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 am

Dr Fingers wrote:
chipvan wrote:Prob not the filter if now ok,just always best to mix out of the tank before you throw in.not as bad when warmer...it will be fine just maybe use a Lower mix..don't throw it away it looks like you just added too much that's all
Thanks. She is running fine again, but I think it's worth a filter change anyway. I have no idea when it was last done, so it won't hurt. I was thinking of adding an in-line filter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150479838563? ... 1952.l2649

Any reason why I shouldn't? Seems to me it would be much easier to replace one of these than the main one.

Derek

yes i use them and you can see whats in there..put before main filter

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”