Hand brake adjustment

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Hand brake adjustment

Post by rhino-wayne » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi all,

just about to try & fix Bongo's "parking Brake lever has no reserve travel" MOT fail. Could only find a couple of locked threads from 2007 on the forum.

Any hints, tips, photos etc would be much appreciated ..
Check & adjust only via the parking brake drum on rear wheels? or is there some adjustment to the cable/lever area?

thx =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Hand brake adjustment

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:47 pm

rhino-wayne wrote:Hi all,

just about to try & fix Bongo's "parking Brake lever has no reserve travel" MOT fail. Could only find a couple of locked threads from 2007 on the forum.

Check & adjust only via the parking brake drum on rear wheels? or is there some adjustment to the cable/lever area?

thx =D>
3 adjustments, do them in this order

1) drum 'star' adjusters, so drum linings are not quite binding
2) 2 x cable adjustments underneath car where handbrake cable splits into cables for each wheel (slacken off handbrake cable and handbrake end first so you have plenty of reserve there for when you might need to make quick subsequent tightenings for MOT etc
3) adjuster by handbrake lever

hope this makes sense. It's all easy stuff
rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Post by rhino-wayne » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:54 pm

thanks for the super quick reply...........hope it all make sense when I crawling around on my damp muddy driveway under the Bongo :lol: :lol:
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:02 pm

The Wiki page on rear disk replacement mentions adjusting the handbrake at the drum, albeit briefly.

There is also a handbrake page, which at the moment only has a link to the Fury factsheet (members only) for the handbrake.

Feel free to join the wiki and add your own info to the handbrake page,,,,,
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Post by rhino-wayne » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Duuuuuuuuuhh #-o how did I miss that fact sheet :!: :!:

Bongo up on stands, wheels off, fact sheet in hand, sun is still shining 8)

Part 2 here we go..............
rhino-wayne
Bongolier

Post by rhino-wayne » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:18 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:

thx =D>

2) 2 x cable adjustments underneath car where handbrake cable splits into cables for each wheel (slacken off handbrake cable and handbrake end first so you have plenty of reserve there for when you might need to make quick subsequent tightenings for MOT etc

Ok so as you say all things were "easy Stuff".........
:roll:
following the fact sheet advice of "locate" the star adjuster by turning the wheel.....i did just that.........I probably turned the wheel 350 degrees ! :oops: #-o before finding the said adjuster :lol:

I "located" mine at the bottom, thru' that hole with rubber bung removed

While I was there took a photo of point 2 (where the 2 cables join):

Anyway, that's to all who helped............Passed the MOT =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:07 am

Excellent news. Yes typing on my smartfone was too hard to want to type detail about the star adjusters, but you got there :-)
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Dunno how (when I got my Bongo) the handbrake on the offside passed the MOT..... as when I checked it the shoes were not even touching the drum on that side..... some tw*t had wound the star adjuster the wrong way..... after a dismantle and release happily it worked fine since that day 4 years ago...... :D needless to say I copper greased the assembly and adjusted to my preference of 3-5 clicks on the handbrake..... yeah yeah Mazda say 9-13 but I prefer it my way....
Glad to hear that you got sorted.... easy really isn't it....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:25 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:47 pm

thx =D>

Where would I find number 2? My hand break works, but I need to lift it quite high, number 3 is adjusted as far as it will go......

Thanks everyone that can help........ those split diagrams don't help me and really confuse me.
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:10 pm

If your going to be doing a lot of your own maintenance work then its probably best to get the service manuals for your engine from the shop, there are 5 pages dedicated to the handbrake system alone with plenty of pictures and descriptions!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:36 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:10 pm If your going to be doing a lot of your own maintenance work then its probably best to get the service manuals for your engine from the shop, there are 5 pages dedicated to the handbrake system alone with plenty of pictures and descriptions!
But Never anything online? Lol anyway where is this cable splitter that is show in the above images? I can't seem to find anything under my bongo, the only cable that sticks out from underneath is the Clutch cable...... I have MOT Tuesday or Wednesday!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:38 pm

There still in copyright so no nothing online.
Clutch ? Do you have a diesel with manual gearbox then ? Otherwise there all Automatics.
The splitter
IMG_20240331_163433.jpg
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:47 am

So basically I need to look on or towards the rear axel. Yes mine is an automatic, but when I look underneath, there is a long thick cable that runs to just past the.middle section with a rubber boot gaiter on connected to a small pulley lever. I can't attach.pics here I don't think, if I find a way il attatch one here......

Ah found it. There's a cable under my van that looks like this and the small lever switch seems to be attached to a tank of some sort. It's rainy hard Rn but when it cools down a bit il try and get a fresh pic of it. My9t has been changed till Thursday afternoon at 1300 so now have extra time to order a few bits on next day delivery if I need them.....
Attachments
0c739f2cf6b3bd6e9052baa2ddb73530.jpeg
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:20 pm

There is a cable to the gearbox which ensures that the Parking lock functions and the selector isn't moved incorrectly.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:04 pm

Ok thanks. Thisay be a silly question but is the Handbreak connected to the front or the rear wheels? There really isn't anything online to help me, and I don't honestly understand those split diagrams. They don't help me at all. I like to see the image with simple arrows or coloured lines!

Return to “Techie Stuff”