15" steel wheel wanted

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

15" steel wheel wanted

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:18 pm

My bongo is being converted to LPG and also a towbar is being fitted, As I cannot carry the spacesaver under the van I might as well carry a fullsize wheel on trips would feel much happier with one. If anyone can help please give me a shout. Thought I would try the forum before trying e.bay etc.

Jim
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Re: 15" steel wheel wanted

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Jim the Box wrote:My bongo is being converted to LPG and also a towbar is being fitted, As I cannot carry the spacesaver under the van I might as well carry a fullsize wheel on trips would feel much happier with one. If anyone can help please give me a shout. Thought I would try the forum before trying e.bay etc.

Jim
Managed to source a wheel & tyre on e-bay, bit expensive but no-one on the forum with a surplus steel and needs must, have a wheel now just need need my bongo from jal http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ilies&f=24#
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi Jim, lucky you. It seems that people 'Down South' can give them away but not offer
them to people who advertise in 'Stuff Wanted/ Free Stuff/Swap'.
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =5&t=56728
I am sure that members who have changed over to alloys will have 'Steel Wheels' going spare.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 pm

peterrc wrote:Hi Jim, lucky you. It seems that people 'Down South' can give them away but not offer
them to people who advertise in 'Stuff Wanted/ Free Stuff/Swap'.
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =5&t=56728
I am sure that members who have changed over to alloys will have 'Steel Wheels' going spare.
Just purchased from e-bay hrs before a thread from a blackpool based forum member offered tyres for free
no luck, would have much rather given a forum member a few quid plus postage than buy from the unknown on e-bay.
Thanks for the thread (with no response I was feeling lonely)

jim
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:53 pm

Did you ask Phil at JAL about a wheel?
I'm sure he could have sorted one for you
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 pm

briwy wrote:Did you ask Phil at JAL about a wheel?
I'm sure he could have sorted one for you
Did ask but he said it came with spacesaver, he didn't offer to source me one so I assumed he didn't have any
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm

How old is the Bongo you are buying Jim? Most Bongos are so old that their spacesaver tyres are well past their use by date. It looks like spare wheels are not covered by dangerous goods acts then. I remember reading that someone using once had an accident using one of these wheels, a blow out I think was what happened. It looks like the distance and speed limits recommended for skinny spares give the sellers a get out.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 pm

I don't believe it is a legal requirement to carry a spare wheel & therefore probably no obligation for seller to provide one. Whether its better to have no wheel at all or one which is 10+ years old & perished, I can't really say. Either way, Jim has done the sensible thing to source a full size replacement.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:44 pm

MountainGoat wrote:How old is the Bongo you are buying Jim? Most Bongos are so old that their spacesaver tyres are well past their use by date. It looks like spare wheels are not covered by dangerous goods acts then. I remember reading that someone using once had an accident using one of these wheels, a blow out I think was what happened. It looks like the distance and speed limits recommended for skinny spares give the sellers a get out.

Tony
Hi Tony
The van is 16 yrs old, its in good nick, as are the Jap tyres on it, however decided to get 4 new tyres and bin the space saver(for the reasons you have stated above) as I have read several threads about vehicles standing for months in Japan, tyres being oval, the odd blow out etc. Driving up from Jal to East Lothian and to Inverness the following weekend will put about 600 miles on the van in a week, don't want to risk wrecking the van with a puncture or blow out for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

Jim
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:58 am

Simon Jones wrote:I don't believe it is a legal requirement to carry a spare wheel & therefore probably no obligation for seller to provide one. Whether its better to have no wheel at all or one which is 10+ years old & perished, I can't really say. Either way, Jim has done the sensible thing to source a full size replacement.
I think that your breakdown cover would question why you had no spare wheel, space saver or other. if you called them out for a puncture.
Hence the reason I put an advert in 'parts wanted' but no luck so far.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:04 pm

It does seem to depend on who you use. Several people with LPG conversions have said their breakdown providers are happy to offer cover when not carrying a spare. The AA won't pay for any additional charges incurred:

"General exclusions
1. AA Membership does not provide for:
d. Failure to carry a serviceable spare
Any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or tyre, except where this is not provided as manufacturers’ standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;"

From http://www.theaa.com/resources/Document ... urrent.pdf

Most Bongo breakers will be able to supply a suitable replacement and they frequently come up on eBay. I've bought several recently, and the most I've paid was £30 and that came with a brand new tyre. The other problem can be arranging a courier, but if you can get the seller to wrap it up in something like a strong bin bag, then Parcel Monkey can deliver it for about £10.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Simon Jones wrote:It does seem to depend on who you use. Several people with LPG conversions have said their breakdown providers are happy to offer cover when not carrying a spare. The AA won't pay for any additional charges incurred:

"General exclusions
1. AA Membership does not provide for:
d. Failure to carry a serviceable spare
Any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or tyre, except where this is not provided as manufacturers’ standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;"

From http://www.theaa.com/resources/Document ... urrent.pdf

Most Bongo breakers will be able to supply a suitable replacement and they frequently come up on eBay. I've bought several recently, and the most I've paid was £30 and that came with a brand new tyre. The other problem can be arranging a courier, but if you can get the seller to wrap it up in something like a strong bin bag, then Parcel Monkey can deliver it for about £10.
I'm with the AA Simon, and after reading your thread regarding general exclusions / charges etc I think its important I carry the spare, apart from the extra costs incurred, rather than wait for the AA I would prefer to change the wheel myself and just carry on my way. Then I can get it repaired at my leisure rather than
travel at limited speed and distance on a spacesaver tyre. Thanks for your info and advice you have reassured me I have done the correct thing.

Jim
iBongo

Post by iBongo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I have 4 of them (15 inch wheels). Who's doing your LPG conversion? Longniddry by any chance? I have a V6 LPG conversion...
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:44 pm

iBongo wrote:I have 4 of them (15 inch wheels). Who's doing your LPG conversion? Longniddry by any chance? I have a V6 LPG conversion...
No its down at Jap auto locators getting a full camper conversion with lpg conversion at the same time.

Jim
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:36 pm

JAL can supply all sorts of Bongo spare, so I'm sure they can sort one out :)

Return to “Scotland”