SOS! Bongo mechanic in Dumfries area

sharon
Bongonaut

SOS! Bongo mechanic in Dumfries area

Post by sharon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:25 pm

I only seem to check in when theres a problem with the old boy, and there sure is a problem.

My usual garage can't help and their go to diesel guy doesn't know where to begin.

It seems I have a problem with: the injectors / fuel pump / fuel sender unit. This is as specific as I've got, and its totally vague! Nothings really been tested, and thats my usual mechanics stumped, so I guess I need to find someone used to working on bongos and ideally in bonny Galloway. Any tips? I'm currently not even sure how to establish whats wrong with it, apparently I can get the injectors tested at Border Cars in Dumfries, but then what!?

The symptoms are, when starting it takes an age for the revs to come up, and it isn't smooth when driving either, like its being starved of fuel. Not bad when its been running for a while. Fuel cleaner has been applied and the filters changed. No improvement.

I'd consider a Glasgow mechanic, although not 100% confident about driving it that far. And am terrified about what this might be about to cost :(

edit: i'd consider a confident mechanic anywhere!!!
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: SOS! Bongo mechanic in Dumfries area

Post by Driver+Passengers » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm not a qualified mechanic but it might be useful to break it down a bit, to aid diagnosis.

Had you had any work done on it before the the starting/starving symptoms appeared, or did they appear out of the blue?

You say the filters were changed... assuming air and fuel. Are you aware of the "banjo filter"?

Some fuel caps which are meant to breath can get blocked and there's a breather hose to the neck of the filler too. Try running with the fuel cap removed, any better?

The driver's side engine bay can get quite oily on some vans so it might be hard to tell, but can you run your hand around and under the fuel pump to look for any signs of fuel leaking?

A faulty fuel sender unit usually just makes the dash show empty all the time, and is a quick enough fix to restore a good ground to the sender. Is your dash gauge behaving?

If it's struggling to start and/or rough, it could be that one or more of the glowplugs has failed. If it's still misbehaving when up to temperature (after 10 minutes or so of driving) then it might be something else.

Something else to check, perhaps further down the line, would be the cold start and idle solenoids and screw adjustment.

I was in Galloway last weekend, but unfortunately can't recommend you anyone down there.

First, try removing the fuel cap and see if that makes any difference.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
sharon
Bongonaut

Post by sharon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 pm

Interesting.

Oh, yes, the gauge is reading empty permanently. I need my dad to get back from his holidays :lol: then I may try fixing the fuel sender earths. The fuel gauge was an intermittent problem, and now permanent.

It starts perfectly, it just then doesn't rev up. As in no power for ages, 30 secs, a minute maybe before it'll try. It is then not smooth while driving, improves a bout after a while, but that's maybe a while like 15 / 20 mins, and even then its not totally smooth.

The garage changed the air and fuel filters yes, I'm not sure they'd try anything else. If its a common thing in other vehicles, maybe? They aren't necessarily talented mechanics I use.... their previous comment on the fuel gauge reading empty was i needed a new sender unit.

I'll try it without the fuel cap on.

Thank you!
sharon
Bongonaut

Post by sharon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Well, typically it wasn't quite as deathly as previously on starting on my "controlled test" sequence, so not maybe a perfect experiment.

Test 1. Fuel cap on. Sluggish, but not a huge wait. Not smooth revving though. sluggish then shot up.
Test 2. Fuel cap off. Quicker. Normal I'd say.

I repeated a few times, both seemed much the same on further tests. (once its been started with cap off would that negate further cap on tests?)

So that all sounds like your banjo filter / blocked fuel cap suggestion. Which means? New ones of those? Ive no idea what a banjo filter is, something I could hand over to a mechanic and ask to put in? could I do it?

I've not taken it for a drive yet, will do that later.

Hmmmmm won't scrap him yet ;)
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Wash the tank cap in warm soapy water and make sure it's rinsed and dried thoroughly afterwards.

Search on here for "fuel tank breather" and see the Fuel Strainer factsheet for more info on the "banjo filter".
Image Image
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Try a PM to Steviebongo in Glasgow. He is a Bongo owning Ford mechanic working in the biggest Ford franchise in Glasgow. He should know of the garages where Bongo owners go in Glasgow. Then there is Mulshy from Glasgow who was at the last Red Squirrel meet. Not a mechanic but he has had his Bongo for sometime now so must get it serviced somewhere.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:46 pm

sharon wrote:
It starts perfectly, it just then doesn't rev up. As in no power for ages, 30 secs, a minute maybe before it'll try. It is then not smooth while driving, improves a bout after a while, but that's maybe a while like 15 / 20 mins, and even then its not totally smooth.
sounds like several glowplugs have failed (normal for this time of year). any GOOD garage should sort this out.
glow plugs work until the bongo has reached about 50 deg c which can take 10-20 mins dependant on heaters on etc. BUT if the motor is revved above about 950 revs the glowplugs turn off until the revs drop below 950, repeat repeat until it reaches 50 deg c. in the meantime the thing chugs and pops and chucks out white smoke.

note there are 2 lengths of glow plugs 83mm and just over 100mm for the bongo, make sure they ft the correct ones.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm

If that is the only thing going on, it would suggest that if you get her nice and warm while you're near to where you are to build up confidence, you should get back up the road fine. [-o< [-o<
Image Image
sharon
Bongonaut

Post by sharon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Lol. My check list is getting longer. But this is all sooooo much better than the blank eyed helplessness of my local mechanic.

I'm at the fuelcap has been washed stage now, and bongo did behave a whole lot better on a test drive. Normal even. But that is just one day.... so monitoring!

I forgot to mention something else, which I suppose I thought is unrelated. Black smoke. Like from Lost. Lots of black smoke when starting and accelerating. I assumed standard diesel engine wear (he is getting old, a 96 bongo)? Related?
kentait
Bongonaut

Post by kentait » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 pm

i got my bongo(diesel) in february this year. i take my bongo to the same garage as the 2 previous owners, he seems to know what he's about.
kays garage, unit 13 anniesland ind. estate, anniesland, glasgow G13 1EU. tel. 0141 954 6001
tonyj
Bongonaut

Post by tonyj » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm

bridge end garage in dumfries did all my bongo work. excellent place.
sharon
Bongonaut

Post by sharon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm

tonyj wrote:bridge end garage in dumfries did all my bongo work. excellent place.
Oh, local! Nice. Have you given them any challenging problems to solve?

I'll be trying to have a look at some of the DIY suggestions tomorrow, the bongo banjo at least.

See the glowplugs, can they be tested? Or is it just something you replace? I mean tested by someone with skills, not me! :)
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... wplugs.pdf

Yes, glow plugs can be tested and should glow.
Image Image
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 pm

i cannot read the link you post matt but yes you can test them, you measure the resistance through them, this can be done whilst fitted.
any good garage will know how to.
tonyj
Bongonaut

Post by tonyj » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm

any update on this issue???

Return to “Scotland”