Glow plug relay

trxbloke
Junior Bongonaut

Glow plug relay

Post by trxbloke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Our Bongo is a rough starter, chuggy, black smoke etc. ok when warm tho'.

A bit better since the diesel pump seals were sorted at a service. They didn't change the glow plugs though, but said if I do, I would need to change the relay also, or I would kill the new plugs.

What is the Bongo Fury combined wisdom on this. To me it feels like its firing on 2 cylinders for a while.

Also when the others kick in, the revs rise to 2250 rpm for 30 secs or so. This seems a bit high for a starting idle. How should I reduce this a bit?

Happy Bonging.

Bryan
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Glow plug relay

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 pm

just change the plugs, not the relay.
be aware there are long and short plugs that are fitted to bongo's. 83mm and just over 100mm, the difference is above the thread so with experience you can tell at a glance (or picture). if you fit the wrong ones they can short out on the connecting bar between them.
ngk plugs seem the best. but im tying some bosch ones for the first time this week.

re the revs.
the glowplugs only work when its reving below 950 revs, after this they switch off till the revs drop again. then turn off once the coolant temp is around 50 deg c.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 pm

There is no specific reason why you would need to change the relay at all. If your concerned, measure the voltage drop across the relay whilst its operated, it should be very low less than 0.2volts across the contacts themselves, anything greater and it probably would be worth changing the relay but certainly its not something you do as a matter of course.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
trxbloke
Junior Bongonaut

Post by trxbloke » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:58 am

I think I'll order up a set of NGK's and fit accordingly.

Thanks

Return to “Scotland”