Extending manual heater comtrols for side conversion

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

mattbrum
Bongonaut

Extending manual heater comtrols for side conversion

Post by mattbrum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:34 am

Hi,

I'm sure someone has come across this before, how have people, extended the cables to allow control of the rear heating system?

Is it possible to relocate the panel without messing about too much, if so where do you fix it to. Any help most appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Extending manual heater comtrols for side conversion

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 am

Digital or manual controls at the front? If its digital, then the rear controls are electrical and you can simply cut the existing wiring and solder in new wires (about 12 cores). If you've got rotary controls front and rear then it's a mechanic system using a Bowden cable which is like a bicycle brake cable but with a solid core. That would be much harder to extend.

It also depends what sort of conversion you are planning as it may be possible to fit it into a cupboard as there is some slack in the cabling (for the electrical version at least).
mattbrum
Bongonaut

Post by mattbrum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:05 am

Manual controls front and back.

Seats and panels coming off tomorrow, just nice to have an idea!

Its a fairly std side layout.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 am

There's a diagram here although you can't see how long the cables are: http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
mattbrum
Bongonaut

Post by mattbrum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Morning all,

So, when everything is out, all was revealed.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, the cables are long enough (I think!) to either be mounted in the front of the side conversion low down, or worst case probably on the side face of the cabinet behind the drivers seat.

Not pulled the loom back yet to see how much extra cable there is but worst case is a little soldering to extend the fan control wires.

I'll add some pictures on later for reference when someone else comes across it.

Regards,

Matt
LS&A
Bongonaut

Post by LS&A » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Matt,

How did you get on...any pictures yet? I'd be interested to see if I could copy you as apparently my rear control is behind the fridge?

Regards,
Phil
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:19 pm

I mounted mine (manual - cable type) on the side of my fridge with simple steel "L" brackets you can buy at any DIY store. It's on the side that is inside a cupboard, at the rear - where my water tanks are. So it is invisible and only accessible by opening a cupboard and moving the water tanks out of the way. No great hardship.

The position was dictated by how tight i could get away with pulling the whole assembly.

It works out well. In the Autumn/Winter I open the cupboard, set it to medium hot, fan on full power, and all air to the top vents (otherwise it blows into the cupboard!) and then leave it alone. I can switch it on and off from the drivers seat with the "rear heating" override switch.

In the Spring I just move the temp slider to cold, and then, again, I have control from the front of the cab, including AC of course.

So I only have to access the panel twice a year really.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
mattbrum
Bongonaut

Post by mattbrum » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Hello all,

The heater controls are located behind the drivers seat, they are still accessible but a bit tucked out the way.

Now I know they work the panel can be rebated and mounted from behind the unit.
View looking from behind the drivers seat with A pillar to the LHS.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... 65aec8.jpg

The photo below shows how much room you have with the panels out.
http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... 65529b.jpg

I think with some serious dedication you might be able to mount it to the front of the units. Given that its not the most attractive thing, I've got no issue with it hidden a little bit.

The gents (and lady) at VW Camper Dream Interiors did a great job, photo below.
http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh6 ... d45711.jpg

Sorry about all the links, haven't the time to be resizing photos!!!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”