May have found the perfect combination....

mountainmummy
Bongolier

May have found the perfect combination....

Post by mountainmummy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 pm

....for camping.

Just spent two nights in Killin.

We were meant to be going to Glencoe but Donald got stuck on the Crianlarich side of Lochearnhead after the road was shut for six hours following an accident at Glen Ogle.

So picture this, Donald happy from a days hillwalking is sitting in the car thinking oh b****r how long will it take me to get home now. I am sitting at home with a half packed van and two over excited kids. Between me and Donald (and more importantly between me and Glencoe) is the closed road :?: :?: :evil:

We considered postponing the trip but the sun was hot and tempting (how often does that happen in Scotland?). So I threw the rest of the stuff into the van, drove to Killin via Crieff and Aberfeldy and met Donald and the car at Killin. As it had taken me 2 1/2 hours to get that far didn't fancy going any further so we decided to try the Ben Cruachan Farm campsite.

The campsite was great and they didn't charge us for the extra car; the kids loved it as there were plenty of other small people for them to play with and we had a nice grassy pitch near the playpark (if you're not keen on small people there are plenty of pitches well away from the playpark too :wink:) .

We then discovered how luxurious it is to have two vehicles to play with. We were able to park the van, put the roof up, the seats and bedding down and pile the stuff we usually park in the tent into the car boot. We used the car to drive down to the village and when it was time to leave this morning it was just a case of taking the roof down then setting off in convoy. No wet tent to pack down and no wet tent to dry when we got home :D :D Happy days!!!

The only downsides were the strange looks we got from the other campers and the fight about who got to drive the Freda home. I lost so got the car and the kids :(

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
ELZE
Supreme Being

Re: May have found the perfect combination....

Post by ELZE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Victory snatched from the jaws of defeat! Please you had a nice time..
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
clutha
Bongolier

Re: May have found the perfect combination....

Post by clutha » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:31 pm

Great you got up there in this terrific weather we've had.

I went up a few weeks ago to watch these nutters.

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/gordyb ... in%20Trial
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk

Return to “Scotland”