Hi Viz Jackets... update

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Hi Viz Jackets... update

Post by mikexgough » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 pm

From 1 July 2014 in Germany, it is mandatory to have a safety vest in the vehicle -
If drivers have not got a hi viz vest in the vehicle, they should acquire an appropriate vest (European standard EN 471) and also carry a warning triangle by that date.

Now in 2013 you are required to wear for anyone who leaves the vehicle, in Belgium , Italy , Luxembourg , Slovenia , Spain and Hungary .

As we know there is currently mandatory in France , Croatia , Norway , Austria , Portugal and Slovakia to carry/wear Hi Viz when leaving a broken down vehicle on the carriageways .
The penalties for infringement of the rules are depending on the country between 14 euros and 600 euros.

For those of us who will be travelling through France to wider parts of Europe we will carry vests, but just wanted to enlighten you all of current and future regs
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
ELZE
Supreme Being

Re: Hi Viz Jackets... update

Post by ELZE » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 am

Legal requirement or not, I am unsure why anyone anywhere would not carry them in their vehicles. Hire car compamies are going to have to address this so make sure you they are in the cars when you hire them!

On another point they have done a lot for biker safety as they can be seen for miles!

Be safe! Be seen!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:34 pm

ELZE wrote:On another point they have done a lot for biker safety as they can be seen for miles!

Oh dear dear dear, you are suffering under a misapprehension. I'm guessing that you're not a biker.

If you search the internet you will find considerable irrefutable proof that hi-vis actually does nothing for biker safety or biker visibility. The fact of the matter is that the old adage "Sorry mate I didn't see you" actually means "sorry mate, I didn't even look for you". The main reason drivers don't see bikes is because they haven't looked for a bike and it doesn't matter how much hi-vis you wear they won't see you if they haven't looked. I once heard a story from a Motorcycle Paramedic who was once on duty on his hi-vis fluorescent yellow bike wearing hi-vis jacket and hi-vis trousers and someone pulled out in front of him and knocked him off. When he picked himself up off the floor, the driver said "Sorry mate ....." and the paramedic said "Don't you f*****g dare say you didn't see me!"

I challenge all drivers to on here to think about what they are actually looking for when they look left and right at junctions. The majority of people will only look for something that is going to hurt them. As motorcycles and bicycles present the least risk to the driver, they become insignificant.

Back to the thread subject, wearing a hi-vis jacket on the motorway or any roadside is essential so I carry them in the Bongo and my bike at all times.
MarcT77
Bongolier

Post by MarcT77 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Absolutely agree poohbear,I have ridden bikes for over 35 years and would'nt ever consider wearing Hi-viz or ride with DRL
on.
I've seen too many of my friends consider themselves invulnerable cos they have lights on
or sam brown belts (remember them?) and then blame others if they get knocked off or worse and
had many heated discussions with them about their own responsibility
to protect themselves and ride accordingly.
Don't get me wrong as a biker and driver I have driven /ridden like a 2hat on occasion,I'm no bimbler,
but there is a time and place for it and with many hundreds of thousands
of miles under my 2 and 4 wheels I have yet to be any where close to 'not being
seen' since my 1st wobble out on the road.
That 1st year I quickly learned my destiny is in my hands and not the driver
of the vehicle turning out in front of me... road craft is much more important than any
colour of jacket or whether you have lights on.
As for hi-viz on a motorway,why would you need to wear one,if you are out of harms way
behind a barrier...fuggin stupid
And this is from someone who is forced to wear one for my daily work along with safety shoes and hearing protection...
Of those,the only one I endorse is the hearing protection,because noise will make you go deaf,you MIGHT
drop something on your toes (if you are a clumsy eejit) and you MIGHT get run over by a fork lift (if you
walk into one without looking) Just my twopenneth.... :roll:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:47 am

Hi
I stopped riding bikes 25 years ago....I got away with it for 25 years, so I thought that as the roads weren't empty enough any more to enjoy a bit of fun, it was time to stop...plus the luck wasn't likely to continue in terms of not being hit.
I agree with it being the rider's responsibility to avoid being hit, and quibbling with a car driver that he or she was in the wrong after you've been knocked off and lost the use of your legs, or worse doesn't even cut it....most idiot drivers pull out in front of flippin' cars, so not being seen is not even an issue ....the fact is that car drivers are pretty selfish, and won't let a bike or car get in the way of what they've decided to do.....don't forget that EVERY car driver, and, for that matter, bike rider is the best in the world...especially bike riders who have never driven a car, and drive in car drivers' blind spots.
Whatever anyone says, there are too many vehicles on the road, and age is the only qualifying criterion for the application for driving....it should be the same as a flippin' firearms licence...they're both as lethal.......beware the "sniper" who waits on a corner to pull out in front of you!!!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 pm

I remember Sam browne belts used to wear one over ny Bellstaff with my Everoak helmet on my ex police commando the only attention I used to attract was from plod. Followed a guy for 2 miles (hounslow london) I went to overtake he turned right into a back alley, I'm on floor he said sorry officer i hope you haven't been following me long.
I remember an article in Bike mag donkeys ago where psycologists had analysed the visual impact of various motorcyclists on car drivers, the Black clad rider on a black bike (a Vincent) was the most observed ( not a common sight) the least was modern riders/machine with clothing and paint work described as modern camoflage with broken up shapes and conflicting colours.
I wear safety shoes at all times not very elegant but the only time i didn't have them on (not supplied) I ended up with 4 lb of tool steel on my toe (numerous fractures) due to some one elses negligence. when back to work to a new pair of shoes.
I once stopped at traffic lights and a Volvo parked on my foot, i had to wait until rear wheel went over as well, he was most confused. I like steelies.
I am extremely glad that 2 of my sons have ridden pushbikes on road post 19 (and now have to to find room for a YBR125) before they learn to drive.
Arrogance on the road is the big problem
But a new safety feature added to new cars would reduce the number of accidents i think quite dramatically
(i take no credit for this it came from an AMadl mag circa 1990)
Remove drivers airbag (didn't exist in 1990) replace with

sharp 6 inch long stainless steel spike

Return to “Going Abroad”