A Bongo Adventure to Greece

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: A Bongo Adventure to Greece

Post by helen&tony » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi Derek
On the Bongo trip to Bulgaria, there was a pretty good package of spares...We'll deal with that when the time comes. Don't worry, everything will be covered.
I'm poring over a different package for assistance, too, as I reckon that most countries will have a good affiliation to UK rescue services....BUT....Romania and Bulgaria are a bit dodgy.
I'll speak to someone on rescue in Bulgaria, and my local guy may be able to work a deal with the guys who I use here...including rescue.......I trust them on anything Bongo apart from cooling, and I'm going to show them how to cope with that....Greece is pretty good, and spares can be arranged, and I'll try to drum up some instructions for removing propshafts (if there isn't a fact sheet already covering that ) ...I'll take Photos, and do a step-by-step instruction on how to remove the shafts for towing....I've been looking for solid tow-bars today on the internet...NOT dear!...
Shortest route is, as I said, the way the couriers come....Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria. Then it's on to Greece...Personally, I'd cross to France, and cut into Germany. It really depends on how quick you want to travel....It can be done England to Bulgaria in 2 days, but I would prefer to do a "Country a day"....I think the folk who came here were happy with the campsites last time, but I can find different ones if you prefer...Some great scenery on the way, and Greece is a corker...The campsite is nice in Greece, but when we were there , the bogs and showers were a bit seemy, but that kind of thing doesn't bother me....I'm more used to wild camping...and DIY lavvies....But the rest of the campsite when we were there was very KOOL...I hope to get permission to Barbie....Greek salads, fresh produce, and some burnt grub, with local brain damage to wash it down is what it's all about...PLUS...a lot of real history trips to take in....and the Aegean ...doesn't get better!...and it's WARM...does yer bones good!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Helen,

Do you know where the nearest airport is to the final destination campsite? My daughter might fly out and meet me as well as Umbongochris if we do it and dates fit in :)
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 am

Hi
Cat...
From first glance, it looks like Larissa , which is around 70 miles, by my calculations...not too bad, eh?
You could drive half way and meet up...then it's a doddle, and a chance to stock up on grub.....or theycould grab a cab....the campsite is off the main coast road.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:08 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Cat...
From first glance, it looks like Larissa , which is around 70 miles, by my calculations...not too bad, eh?
You could drive half way and meet up...then it's a doddle, and a chance to stock up on grub.....or theycould grab a cab....the campsite is off the main coast road.
Cheers
Helen
Thanks Helen. I'll take a look, maybe I could meet them before arriving at the campsite. Cab would cost a bomb wouldn't it?

Will have a look into Larissa airport etc and see what things would cost :)

Cheers

Cat
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Cat
Not sure on cab fees, but they are cheap here...We often park in the centre and cab it round town....but they do fleece you if you don't know the lingo...I expect it's the same in most countries!
O.K. ....If you take an easy 4 days, maybe 5 to Bulgaria, and we join up and travel south, we could stop a night around Epanomi, and catch the Thessaloniki airport...which isn't far from Epanomi, and I know the campsite there....It's in the middle of nowhere, and would make a lovely stopover....the campsite is LITERALLY on the beach....Stylida is 300 K south.....and although it's off the main coast road, it's quiet if we book some plots by the sea!.
Cheers
Helen
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Helen

If we covered a country a day as suggested, what would be the average driving hours per day?
Also was wondering how long people would be staying in Greece itself, and would the return journey be the same as the journey South or be more direct?

Cheers
Barry
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi Barry
Well, I'll look back over the Bulgaria Trip thread....you can see it yourself on the Forum....nobody was too shattered on the drive, and that was pretty easy....Depending on the roads, I reckon that you can drive 600 Km (about 360 miles ) in an 8 hour day if you take a half hour lunch, and a couple of 15 minute breaks, if you can average 50 MPH....that's a hard average, but it depends on the roads...Don't forget, that driving will take you across a corner of some countries, and it'll maybe miss stopping in a country as the 600 Km will be 2 or more countries worth :lol:
Many trucks do UK to Bulgaria in 2 days...one day across Europe, and a day to cross Romania....(the roads are pretty crabby)....but I know quite a few Bongos that cross it O.K. I've driven into Romania, and Bucuresti a few times...Bucuresti is a nightmare....AVOID IT..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I drove on the elevated tramway following a local reg-ed Range Rover one time to avoid traffic..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....I think chariot racing in a Roman arena full of lions is probably safer :lol: :lol: :lol: Let's see how many intrepid travellers we can garner before we talk how long to stay, then we can thrash it all out by putting ideas "into the pot".....and we can talk routes.
Cheers
Helen
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your reply,think i will go and have a look at the Bulgaria thread you mentioned.

Cheers
Barry
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Thanks Helen for the reply :)

Have you got specific dates in mind yet or is it still a bit early?
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:04 am

Hi
Dates are immaterial to me...it's what others want...As I said earlier , I was going in Spring, and maybe in Autumn to another part of Greece, but Summer doesn't matter, I'm easy on dates. Can we throw some ideas into the ring as regards times / dates, then I can make inquiries and show some interest at the campsites...I haven't any idea how the tourism is in Greece at the moment, but I suspect a fair few Bulgarians get there...When we were last there, I was chatting to the owner of one Campsite, and she said the Balkan Wars took a lot of their trade, as people used to drive down through Yugoslavia from Germany / Holland and suchlike, and they lost that trade...maybe it's picked up over the last few years, but somehow, after such events, people stay wary for nearly 20 years in tourism, and a bad reputation takes about that long to fade....shame, really, as Greece is great!....Anyway, you're safe enough driving through Romania and Bulgaria, but I still say it's best travelling through valid EU territory.
Cheers
Helen
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:24 am

Hi Helen

My choice would be May/June time, when it maybe wouldn't be as busy, roads,ferries etc.
Only my opinion thou, never driven abroad before,but would love to give this ago.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 am

Hi Barry
Purely a personal opinion, but I quite enjoy driving in Europe (with exceptions).....quite often , it's more courteous in France...Switzerland is good, I haven't done Austria or Germany (choice)...but most places, I've driven are OK if you are on the main roads, and rather relaxing....Greece and Bulgaria are a bit frightful if you stray off the main routes, as with Romania...but there's some lovely country to drive through. I think Cat and Derek favour school hols, so it's likely June/ July if that's any good.?
Weather-wise, Greece will be warm...The weather here switches into spring like clockwork, and it just starts getting warmer...May is rather nice, but you can get rain until June...July through to September...hot and dry...in fact , there is drizzle here this morning, and it's one of maybe 10 days rain since last July...I've worn a jumper 2 -3 days since April....
Maybe I'll start a list of days, and keep bumping the list up so we can see who wants what?
Cheers
Helen
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm still part-time teaching (just), so couldn't go before June..

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Derek
Ian has mentioned that if the Russian delegation show an interest, it may be when their kids have summer hols...July / August from memory???...I think Bulgaria was at the end of July....so I guess it will be around that sort of time if it's any good?????...Weather ....I'll hazard a guess....GREAT...hot and sunny....upper 30s / 40 and great evenings...just like you'd want it!....
Although the campsite is near the coast road, it has some great spots near the sea, well away from the road, and if we get in early, I'll attempt to book by the sea...If we do the Stylida site, there's a corker of a view across the bay, and fishing boats bobbing at night with the lamps on, and illuminations across the water from a neighbouring village...GREAT....feet in the sand at night...the odd glass or two....BOOTIFUL!
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Hi
Here you go...a better , more up-to-date picture of the site:
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe ... on-106246/
Click on photos for a better idea....We were on a grassy bit when we stayed...
From memory, where we parked, there wasn't sand, but you walked to the sea, stepped off a kerb into about 6" of sea, and it's great....and we enjoyed it in February!!!!
It also looks from the photos that they've done a bit of work on it!
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”