A Bongo Adventure to Greece

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Re: A Bongo Adventure to Greece

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Ruby just sailed through MOT, no advisories, no rust, she's a game old girl. Probably have spent too much on a '95 ( :shock: ), but she's driving real sweet.

Now, if I can get the AC sorted, she might just make it to Greece.... :D :D

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi
Mine's a '95, and made it!...and I've spent a fair bit on it since!...The '95's are pretty robust...It often happens in early production of anything, that they produce a run of good quality, and once they have the reputation, they cut a few corners!...
Anyway...air con might be just a case of taking it to a good technician for a damn' good service!
Good Luck
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Air con pipes are the problem, they're rotten, and some are long, in two sections, (too long to post assembled off a breaker) v hard to replace as joints all seized up. Prob have to order new ones from Japan (ouch), unless anyone has a better idea??

Ruby has had a lot of mechanical 'tidying up', nothing too major, cooling system replaced, cooling alarms fitted, new brakes, alternator, exhaust etc, but nonetheless we are talking as much again as I paid for her, and I have yet to tackle the thorny question of a respray, so on paper she's cost more than she's worth (though I did see a certain dealer asking 8k for one like her, same year, albeit with a low mileage), but at least I know that everything has been done that needs doing, and she's driving great. Love the Burgundy over silver paint, and as far as I can see, they stopped that finish early on.

So yes, she's an early one, but well solid.

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:31 am

Hi Derek
Do you know , or can you find out what pressure the air-con runs at? You may be able to use armoured rubber piping, or stainless steel braided hose. That way, you could have some stub pipes and fittings made in metal and use flexible runs ...easy to post.
The other alternative, if you could find the right pipes from a supplier or breaker, is to ask for a Bongo Relay :wink:
Yes...if you have a good '95, they're worth spending money on!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:40 am

Will look into having pipes made, good idea. The problem with breaker parts is that some pipes are in sections, due to the twists and turns they go through. Where the pipes join each other is the problem, they're usually seized, inseparable. One breaker sent me a pipe cut off half way down, as he obviously couldn't unscrew it from its neighbour!

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:15 am

Hi Derek
If you go for flexible pipes, get the address of your nearest Goodrich Aeroquip agent and see what sort of thing they can do in braided stainless. All they'll need is the end fitting specs. OR...a good supplier who will make summat up in metal....which you'll then need to bend!
Cheers
Helen
davema
Junior Bongonaut

Post by davema » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:08 pm

hi, as a confirmed "greek-o-file" i may be interested in this trip!!
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:13 am

I would absolutely love a trip such as is being thought of -- have we an idea of the sort of budget that would sufficient to eat, sleep and be merry? I am hoping to be back in work of sorts after 2 years recovering from an attempt by the grim reaper to have me away.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:33 am

Hi
Davema..
A bit like me...I have long had an interest!
Hijimhere...
Cost?....well, lets deal with the running costs...A quick squint in the back of the old Europe atlas shows London to Athens as 2355 Km...approx. 1413 miles...therefore a round trip = 2826 miles approx.
Fuel is cheaper in Europe, and I guess that running long distances at a time rather than stop / start will give most any Bongo about 32 MPG, so nearer the time, I'll get some fuel price ideas and post them on here. Campsite fees...well...pretty much depends on the campsites en route...I located the stopover campsites for those who came to Bulgaria a few years back, and they all seemed O.K. price-wise...I don't know about the suggested stay at Stylida in Greece, as we've not been for a while....Again, I don't think they're massively dear...The cost of food?....well, I'm always on the lookout for a new house move, and I compare food prices using supermarkets with known chains across Europe....surprise surprise, they're pretty much a universal figure....People say food's cheap where we live in Bulgaria....absolute doo-dah...it is if you compare certain things....Each country's tourist boards do that...pick the cheap items and compare with not- alike produce elsewhere...BUT, suffice it to say, local food in Greece is pretty good....and as it's hot, you'll be eating plenty of salads...
Booze is cheap...wine's not a bad price...Beer?....it's all lager in southern Europe....all I can say is that it's wet :(
I would guess that the only real expense compared with the UK is that it's the fuel getting here!...but...hey, it's worth it. The history and feel of the place is incomparable!
As regards routes here, we haven't spoken about that...you'll see 2 routes...France, Switzerland, Italy (you can miss Switzerland) , and a ferry across to Greece...2 ferry routes according to taste...Bari (Italy) to either Igoumenitsa and drive south, but Igoumenitsa is a mountainous route, or ferry to Patras and go North....I like the latter . The other route is France, Germany (or direct to Germany), Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, and Greece...That's the way the couriers all come to send things here.
So...dividing mileage here (above) , by 31 MPG...a well tuned Bongo will definitely average that....( look at threads on gas mileage in Europe)...so that's around 90 gallons ish, plus campsites...Compare it with a package holiday (I don't "do" such punishment)...I reckon a few weeks in a Bongo won't be much different in cost to a few weeks in an international Brick Prison with chlorinated swimming hole and flights in an International high-flying cattle truck included...I guess you know what I'd like
Cheers
Helen
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Think i would prefer to travel in convoy too, not that clever when it comes to mechanics.
Any more thoughts of when this may happen?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi
Our original plan when it was just Tony, myself, and the Woofers, was springtime, but then I thought .... :idea: Why not make a Bongo trip for everyone!...and as the meet with the Russian Bongo Crew didn't happen this year, perhaps they might like to pop along too!... they love a campsite by the sea, and they don't mind a bit of travel....So....I suspect the trip dates will revolve around school holidays in the summer!....I think we'll grab a few names as we go, see what dates people want, then we'll get a convoy route mutually agreed, and I'll try booking ahead for campsites on the way!....Hopefully, there won't be too much for people to do except drive and ENJOY 8) 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Helen
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Looking forward to seeing what dates come up. I finish school on the 3rd July and can make it anytime after than. Also prefer to be in a convoy as I'll be on my own to start of with until the other half of the umbongo clan can come and meet me :)
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi
This is a link to the Campsite in Greece:
http://www.campings-camping.com/camping ... a4696.html
As you can see, the website is like a lot of websites this way...rubbish...
If you like the look of it, it would seem it's still operating...as for the sea...it's right on it, and I will get more info if you like the look of it...The sea view is gorgeous, and it's very sheltered...As I said, we went in February....T-shirt weather!!!!!
Shall I get some idea of price....????...seems that we have 6 people mulling over whether to come (including ourselves)....I might "Bang the Gong" on some of the other Forum areas to point people in this direction????
Do we have preferences as to route?....see my previous posts...2 ways suggested. Regarding times....well, that seems like school hols....can I have some dates?
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Again
I've had a thought...I may try to get a friend of ours to come...currently VW -ers, but , funnily enough , we had lost contact, and they found us through Bongo Fury....Hows that!!!!!...anyway, they did show interest...and I might ask my sister....haven't seen her for years...they will undoubtedly hire summat...and she likes Greece....and yes...We could have a CONVOY : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnJEeHND_lQ.... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Had to be done....
Cheers
Helen
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:07 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
This is a link to the Campsite in Greece:
http://www.campings-camping.com/camping ... a4696.html
As you can see, the website is like a lot of websites this way...rubbish...
If you like the look of it, it would seem it's still operating...as for the sea...it's right on it, and I will get more info if you like the look of it...The sea view is gorgeous, and it's very sheltered...As I said, we went in February....T-shirt weather!!!!!
Shall I get some idea of price....????...seems that we have 6 people mulling over whether to come (including ourselves)....I might "Bang the Gong" on some of the other Forum areas to point people in this direction????
Do we have preferences as to route?....see my previous posts...2 ways suggested. Regarding times....well, that seems like school hols....can I have some dates?
Cheers
Helen
July prob best for most, but it will be hot!! (Still working on the a/c). Route wise, I guess whatever is shortest? Me and Sarah v much interested, as long as in convoy with folks who can wield a spanner if needed. Thought perhaps it would be good if each van brought a key but difficult to source replacement part? I have a spare alternator to offer...

Derek

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”