A Bongo Adventure to Greece

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: A Bongo Adventure to Greece

Post by helen&tony » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi
Funnily enough, we were looking at moving...France or Southern Spain, but we seem to be staying put at the moment....On the Igoumenitsa route, it's a bit hilly, I'm told...is it too bad?...we like Patras-Bari...but we may give Igoumenitsa-Venice a bash...we know someone who likes that route...We do "Dogs in Cabin" , as well..very cosy...We have recently found a company who have started "dogs in cabin" from Genoa to Barcelona...might give that a whirl!...Greece to Italy, cross Italy, and ferry to Spain....sample some decent grub!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
thetravelbug
Junior Bongonaut

Post by thetravelbug » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:16 pm

The road from Igoumenitsa through Greece is great. Its a brand new motorway. It does go quite high (and there are signs to beware of the bears!!!) but steady climb and not winding. There are currently only a couple of the toll booths operational and was only a couple of Euros anyway. We usually go right along the top of Greece, by the coast to Alexandropolis and then up via Svilengrad as that is only a couple of hours to Stara Zagora. We have done the route up north of Thessalonki up and into Bulgaria near Sandanski as well. Yet to find a good campsite en-route from Igoumentisa to Bulgaria, we found a decent hotel that was only 40 Euros and allowed us to have dogs inside and has a little garden with each room, near Kavala.

Never done the route to Venice, we always went from Ancona. We might try it in the future as would then only be around 4 hours drive through northern Italy to our place in Austria as its on the Italian/Slovenian border.

Would love to go to Barcelona one day.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:06 am

Hi
We found a few good campsites in Greece, and an absolutely fantastic place below Thessaloniki...We were towing a caravan , and it was in mid-February, so it was actually closed...BUT...it was ON the beach...and we had to drive quite a way along the beach to get to it...Unfortunately, I believe it has been modernised and updated, so I don't think I'll be going back. Have you got the name of the Kavala place?...it would be handy, as we may go to Greece next year...I have a desire to go back to Thermopylae for a good shuftie ...
The reason for asking about the Igoumenitsa route is that the Bulgarian truckers who shipped our furniture here said that the road was not advisable in winter, as it also gets closed when it's snow covered, as the trucks can't make the grade on ice...but I think the motorway has been completed since then.
We had been looking at moving....so...Italy, Spain and France were on the "menu", so I'm always on the lookout for a trip....I like it round Ancona and we might do that with a Greek trip thrown in!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
stpn666
Bongonaut

Post by stpn666 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:34 pm

This sounds interesting as a new bongo person I know nothing about mechanics and only recently tried the bongo out on a camp site I would be interested depending on costs ect as I am retired. The convoy option sounds the best to me as I would most likely get lost.
Cheers
Steve Powys
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:18 am

Hi
The Bongo trip to Greece was for this year, but with financial constraints, and previous engagements that couldn't be changed, a lot had to drop out. The other purpose was to meet with the Russian Bongo Club....but we know what happened there!
If people are interested, I can always try again for next year...we may venture to Greece...or elsewhere...maybe Dracula Country?...
Cheers
Helen
Woody4567
Bongonaut

Post by Woody4567 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:48 am

Hiya, please keep,us in the loop. Sounds interesting. Any idea how long the trip would be at this stage? Thanks. Patti
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Was wondering myself if this trip would go ahead next year, or something similar?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Hi
As I said, the trip was going to be this year...but it didn't happen for reasons stated...HOWEVER, I suppose if enough folk wanted to go, I can organise something...It's only a 2-day trip for me to get where we were planning, as I wanted to see Thermopylae. On our way here I didn't have time to stop as we passed! I know a couple of reasonable campsites in Greece, but I'd probably have to get booked early next year...I'll make enquiries as to what notice is needed.
I'll put some thought together and post again
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”