Fiamma Awnings

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

BBChunks
Bongonaut

Fiamma Awnings

Post by BBChunks » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Guys,

Hoping you can help?

I have a tin top and have been looking to convert to a pop top. Its incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to find anywhere that can do the work with a high end product (as suggested in forum posts and emails to various companies).

With that in mind and on the basis that I've been looking at the Fiamma F35 as well (as a sunshade), will it suffice as somewhere for the missus and I to sleep (kids in the van)? I understand I'll have to get all of the sides, floor etc which will work out expensive (although still cheaper than a pop-top), it gives me the added benefit of a sun shade. I'm just not sure if its good enough as a sleeping area?

Whats your thoughts, experience, recommendations? :)
Thanks
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: Fiamma Awnings

Post by winchman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:36 pm

I feel you would be better with a drive away awning or a tent.
I had a Fiamma but to be honest never fitted it as I managed for two years with out.
Just have a think about space whilst travelling as these items are often bulky, I have a full length galv roof rack on mine so its ideal as I can carry two roof boxes and a Canoe.
If I need a sunshade then I just have two poles and a ground sheet that fasten to the roof rack.
I bought a VW T3 roof rack for about £10-15 from Ebay, if you shorten it by about 3ft and bend the legs out it fits perfectly
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:02 pm

I've just had a Fiamma 45s fitted as I've opened up to rain for long enough! Driveways are fine but fiddly to re-attach after a day out. My current set up is a tailgate awning but not attached! I cook out of the back or in the tent. Also have Quechua bases which are brilliant. Has to be an easy set up for me and I think I've nearly cracked it!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Corrugated awning looks very useful and very robust. :lol:
BBChunks
Bongonaut

Post by BBChunks » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Jillygumbo,

Can I ask, why did you go with a F45 over a F35?

Thanks
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 pm

BBChunks wrote:Hi Jillygumbo,

Can I ask, why did you go with a F45 over a F35?

Thanks
Not sure which one the F35 is. I know there's one you have to pull out (no good for solo camper lil old me) rather than wind out (mine) and there's one that goes into a zipper bag (tends to hang over sliding door and get in the way).
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
BBChunks
Bongonaut

Post by BBChunks » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Looks like its the manual one, not sure of the other differences.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi I fitted a Fiamma Caravanstore 255 and don't know why more people don't as It was only £130, you can fit a room onto it and remove it when not in use. I use mine all the time. 5 mins to put up too.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 30#p568345
Do what you like.Like what you do.
BBChunks
Bongonaut

Post by BBChunks » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Thanks Stuc

Will try and find somewhere local to see which is best fit for what I'm after.
digitalgypsy
Bongolier

Post by digitalgypsy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 am

Hello chaps, thought I would join the thread here...

I actually scoured the forum a few weeks ago hoping to find which model Fiamma would be best for me. Originally thought the F45 is the only option then see a lot of Bongo owners opt for the F35 as it's lighter. And now I see the 255 (Caravanstore?) is also an option! So now it's a toss-up between the F35 and 255, does anyone which would be the easiest for solo operation?

Thanks for any help,
Steve
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Oop!!
Last edited by B*Witched Blingo on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"
B*Witched Blingo
Supreme Being

Post by B*Witched Blingo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:37 pm

BBChunks wrote:Guys,

Hoping you can help?

I have a tin top and have been looking to convert to a pop top. Its incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to find anywhere that can do the work with a high end product (as suggested in forum posts and emails to various companies).

With that in mind and on the basis that I've been looking at the Fiamma F35 as well (as a sunshade), will it suffice as somewhere for the missus and I to sleep (kids in the van)? I understand I'll have to get all of the sides, floor etc which will work out expensive (although still cheaper than a pop-top), it gives me the added benefit of a sun shade. I'm just not sure if its good enough as a sleeping area?

Whats your thoughts, experience, recommendations? :)
Thanks
Have you considered a flat pack conversion that you could fit yourself. I have a contact that offered this. Anything from a full side conversion to a single small unit.
You Tube Films Click Here
"Get your wellies out. No likey floaty Bongo's"

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”