Stewby's 2014 Travels...

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

stewby
Bongolier

Re: Stewby's 2014 Travels...

Post by stewby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:16 am

Wow... I am a bit behind on here.

We did do the Grantown-On-Spey trip. We didn't do the island in the end but we found a train and went on it which was brilliant. The campsite was huge but felt small due to the hedges and stuff. It was lovely.

We ended up finding a steam train in one of the many leaflets we picked up so this became our Saturday Treat.

Our Sunday "treat" was a trip to the Glenlivet Estate + Distillery. The distillery was great to see and OH enjoyed his tasters (he got two as I was driving).

Then we headed off into the wilderness (on foot!!) to find Drumin Castle as it sounded lovely. It turns out that it is not much more than a couple of walls of a ruined castle (really should remember to do more research first). So... this is our castle which was apparently only 5km away (I don't believe that for a second).

We ate in a lovely restaurant in Grantown called The Wee Puffin. Highly recommend it. The food was delicious and the beer was local.
Due to my OCD nature, I do have pics of the food we ate in there if people want them.
:wink:
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:23 am

This one will be brief as I don't think I have that many appropriate pictures. Earlier in October we travelled down south (England) to visit some friends and go to Alton Towers. The campsite was called Lower Micklin Touring Site and it was a beautiful site. 15 pitches (a mix of hard standing and grass) with a very clean toilet block. I think it is going to be our meet-up site of choice aas it was perfect.
:D

Anyways... not many pics so will start off with the usual bongo insitu picture.

Then a couple of pics of Alton Towers itself.

We are heading back there again in April for another meet-up (hoping to get exclusive use) and have another brilliant weekend.
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:28 am

So... future travels.

Well, due to saving for our wedding (yay!!), Europe in the bongo is out of our reach for now. However, we are going to use our wee bongo even more now as we are meeting up with friends twice a year, meeting up with them again for the Download Festival and then having several weekends away.
\:D/

In April, we are meeting our friends then heading along to the North of Wales for abour five days.

In June, we are going to Download and then heading across to do the South of Wales for about five days before heading home.

Oh... quick question. Does anyone have any advice for us not freezing in the colder months?? My dad gave me a really really old greenhouse heater but I was wondering if there is a better option??
We take the inner roof bit down and obviously have those silver blind things then of course there are the two hot water bottles and the sleeping bag but it is a bit chilly out of the sleeping bag. Any hints and suggestions??
:?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:56 am

I would not use that green house heater inside van or awning due to fumes
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:59 am

I have a lovely little gas fire which runs off them gas canisters
Has the safety features on it (don't get the cheap ones less then £20 )
But I still don't use it when asleep and I only use it in awning so plenty of ventilation
But does warm awning up nicely
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:43 am

Webasto / Eberspacher heaters are the business - but not cheap. I have a Webasto Airtop 2000 fitted under the passenger's seat. 2KW heats the van up nicely in no time!

DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:25 am

Great pictures! As for keeping warm on a budget. Get a decent sleeping bag and wear a hat and socks in bed. Make sure you don't get cold sitting about in the evenings, so for the moment I would suggest star jumps before bed time (after the wedding there will of course be other options available to you both :wink: :lol:) Having been married for over 20 years we have reverted to using a small electric fan heater (if we have hook up), because I no longer have the energy for star jumps...... :D
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Aw.... poor mrs dunslair.
:wink:

I think the webasto heater is out of the running at the moment. We may need to stick with the star jumps and socks.
:P

Based on gasy's advice, the greenhouse heater will be removed from the bongo. I certainly don't want to make us ill... or worse.
:shock:

Currently working on our April plan. Got a few castles on the list but not quite 24... sorry muz. We are going to try and take it easy.

It sounds awful but am considering taking the ferry over to Dublin for the day. Seems quite expensive just for the two of us, no bongo but will have a nosey and see what the options are nearer the time. I have never been to Ireland before.
[-o<
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:55 pm

So.... billy the bongo is all put away for the winter.
:(

Missing him like mad already so now planning our April week. We are heading down to meet friends near Alton Towers.

* Initially we were heading to Wales for a week.
* Then, we added in a day trip to Dublin.
* Then, the brain wave of going to Ireland for the whole week.

... Today the brain has looked at prices for ferries. Big mistake... it is only £40 more expensive to get to Europe and that includes meals!!!!!!!!
#-o

New April plan is taking the bongo to Holland. I have been before with my parents, loved it but paid no attention to the driving side of things. This is our first trip abroad with the bongo and, although I am really excited... I am a bit nervous.

Fingers crossed it all goes well. My current knowledge is that we need to drive on the opposite side of the road and that it is nice and flat there for hiring bikes.
Oh... and it is £410 to go on the ferry there and back.
:shock:

We have a thread on the "going abroad" forum to get more advice and hints, just thought I would update stewby's travels on the situation. Away to go google campsites in Holland.

Wish us luck.
:)
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Found this website today which appears like it is going to be very helpful.

http://www.campercontact.com/

Includes pretty much the whole of Europe I think.

It's going to take a long time to get through it all so better get started.
:P

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”