Recommendations for 12v tyre inflator that actually works

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Recommendations for 12v tyre inflator that actually works

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Can anyone recommend a easy to use robust 12v ciggie lighter tyre inflator that works and STAYS working? I have just spent an hour doing six tyres with my last Halfrauds one. Bongo plus caravan.

The read out is wobbly, it has a stupid screw fitting for the tyre valve which has to be held on to stop it letting air out part way through. The previous one had a decent clip fitting but the auto stop packed up and it kept cutting out at the wrong reading. Its such a useful bit of kit when it works. Fitting the Bongo in at the local garage machine is a squeeze even without the caravan.

Someone must make a decent version. As I do not usually carry a spare due to LPG this is an essential bit of kit. Totally frustrated.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: Recommendations for 12v tyre inflator that actually work

Post by winchman » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:22 pm

Mine was about £30 from Cost co still works and had a lot of use
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:40 am

Hi Mary...
These are good:
http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/compressors.html
Pricey but nicey....you get what you pay for...and Matt Savage is a good company to deal with
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 am

Those look good Helen, but a bit larger than I was looking for. I just need something to tuck away on board. The Halfords one would be perfect if it worked properly. Just faulty design and the read out keeps going random.

Does Costco still require expensive membership? I used to use one in London decades ago and you had to prove you were self employed or a suitable business and pay a fairly hefty membership fee. If it has a brand name I can search for it.

Keep the recommendations coming. There must be someone who does a plug in and work version. The original I had lasted for some time, just the last two.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:43 am

A mate of mine blew atyre up for me using a small compressor supplied with his Audi A3, It was very good, compact and blew the tyre up very very quickly. I was well impressed but wouldn't like to know the cost from Audi, probably more than the cost of a Bongo.
Do what you like.Like what you do.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”