LV Won't insure me ...

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Steptoe
Bongonaut

LV Won't insure me ...

Post by Steptoe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:12 pm

... at least not if I intend to sleep in my 8-seater Bongo.

They would only allow it if professionally converted and registered as a Motor Caravan. That's not going to happen. Got them to agree to no cancellation fee anyway.

Phoned around Adrian Flux, 2Gether (very helpful indeed) and Lifesure. All quotes were given from Highway (owned by LV would you believe) and varied a fair bit, but finally got what I wanted, which covers use as a 'day van' irrespective of the V5 classification, and also allows me to use my bolt-in occasional kitchen unit.

At 48 with 10+ year's no-claims, I was hoping for a smaller quote, but managed to get £256 with protected no-claims by excluding legal cover (I already have that from my CSMA membership). First 2 companies had 'inclusive' legal cover, but they charged more for the privilege. How can it be 'free' then? Apparently, companies load up the premiums on imports if you've not owned them long, so I'm hoping for a discount next year!

Also odd that I couldn't get business cover with this, although the other brokers offered it with the same insurance company.
winchman
Supreme Being

Re: LV Won't insure me ...

Post by winchman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:24 pm

This year I have taken 2 policies away from LV.
I had a bad service moment and told them this is what I would do and I am, Flux have beaten both LV quotes by a couple of hundred even one for our 17 year old, just shows its best to shop around
ICBongo
Bongonaut

Post by ICBongo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Mine is insured with LV - got it no problem. Unconverted 8 seater.

I'm on a shared car policy because the Bongo is my 2nd car and as such you can't have NCB applied to both.

Wonder why they weren't co-operating with you? I can't remember if I told them we were camping in it mind :?
ICB

A Telford website developer with a Bongo
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 pm

ICBongo wrote:Mine is insured with LV - got it no problem. Unconverted 8 seater.

I'm on a shared car policy because the Bongo is my 2nd car and as such you can't have NCB applied to both.

Wonder why they weren't co-operating with you? I can't remember if I told them we were camping in it mind :?

They were happy to transfer my existing car policy to the new one when changing vehicle (and charging me for the change), but didn't like it when I suggested I may want to sleep in it. I'd suggest you check this out with them before you find out the hard way.
ICBongo
Bongonaut

Post by ICBongo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:58 pm

I've just checked with LV, here is a transcript:

Please wait for a representative to respond.
Hi Ian, you're through to Clarise, how can I help you today?

Ian: Hi, I have a car policy with you and I amended it not long ago to include a 2nd car
Ian: the 2nd car is a Mazda Bongo - it's an 8 seater MPV / Camper van
Ian: it's not a converted camper, but we do go camping in it
Ian: I've just read on the owners forum that LV turned down a Bongo owner for car insurance because they intended sleeping in it
Ian: I'm just wondering now if I am actually covered or not

Clarise: I'm not sure if that's right but I'll certainly double check - are you the policyholder?

Ian: I am
Ian: I have my certificate here
Ian: but my docs are er.... downstairs I thinkl

Clarise: That's ok, I have the details here. Bear with me a moment and I'll check this.

Ian: many thanks

Clarise: :)
Clarise: Thanks for waiting. I'm sure you can appreciate that I can't discuss the other policyholders circumstances surrounding why we would have declined cover but I've had your particular scenario checked and we would cover you providing the vehicle is still standard as it comes, and like you've already confirmed, it's not been converted into a camper van.
Clarise: If you'd like to have a copy of this conversation - please click the middle button at the top of the chat box (that looks like an envelope) before the chat ends, the transcript will be emailed to you for your records once we?ve disconnected.

Ian: OK - that's fine. Just needed to double check I was covered. It's effectively factory standard (except someone took the stickers off)

Clarise: Then that's fine Ian :) Thank you for checking this though. Have a lovely evening.
Clarise: Thanks for chatting with me today. Please click here to give me feedback about your chat experience.

Ian: Thanks, bye for now

So it appears I'm covered, not sure why you had such a rough time
ICB

A Telford website developer with a Bongo
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:24 pm

That's interesting, thanks for posting the transcript - wish I had the same, although it would have taken up a fair bit of space.

However, in practice it probably wouldn't have made too much difference once I started asking about using it with the kitchen unit fitted. This would then become a 'modification' to standard.

Anyway, I'm now with a company who understands what the vehicle is, and what it's going to be used for (referred to as a 'day van', not a camper). They are fully aware of the bolt-in units, and also are prepared to insure as an 8-seater, not a 7 as stated on the V5 (I have sent that away for correction). As the man said - they only made 8-seaters, not 7, so as far as they are concerned, this is what it is.

Although I ended up paying a little more, at least I'm happy that I am covered however I choose to use it.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:36 am

Why would sleeping in it make any difference? You could sleep in any car. Does that mean that whilst having a kip at the services on a long journey you're not insured? Sounds like more insurance company B.S. to me :)
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Post by Steptoe » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:43 am

Agreed, that is precisely what I told them. I used to occasionally sleep on an airbed in the back of my previous estate car, at a festival or similar. They told me I would not be insured for that, and wouldn't hear otherwise. Gave up trying to explain in the end. It was easier to change company to one which had an idea what they were talking about.

Return to “Insurance”