Crash, bang, wallop and a 5 month wait

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Snoozie
Bongolier

Crash, bang, wallop and a 5 month wait

Post by Snoozie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Billabongo is finally being repaired after an old guy broadsided me in early February, pulling out (foot slipped on clutch perhaps) as I was driving past where he was stationary in a parking bay.

I was first most concerned about his dog that leapt out of his car and was running around in the road on a bend and I was also worried about the old guy too. He was as old as god and he spoke in a rasping whisper, which threw me a bit. Being in shock I didn’t think to get his details straightaway. #-o His car only had a scratched bumper and dislodged number plate, but when I went up to examine mine closely it looked bad, especially the bottom of the pillar between the doors. I looked up to talk to the guy but he was disappearing round the corner and I only got half his number plate. I was gutted, felt very stupid, and spent weeks looking for his car locally, to no avail.

Anyway, the main point of this post is to say don’t give up on insurance when they want to write it off although I expect you are all more savvy than me and know this. I have never had an accident with another vehicle (3 cars smashed when they were parked up, but none when I was driving). I had no idea what to expect from the insurance but fortunately when telling a friend about the accident they told me that you don’t have to accept what the insurer says straightaway.

I did battle on the phone with the insurance assessor who didn’t come to look at it, and who was quite rude. Damage estimate £2800 – needing new passenger and side doors and pillar in between. The assessor’s valuation of my Bongo was laughable - less than 1/6th of the value that both I and the guy at the body shop said. I’m not convinced that the insurance assessor even knew what a Bongo was and I suggested that if a decent one with low mileage and sound bodywork was so easy to get for about a grand perhaps he could tell me where from - I'd buy 6 and make some dosh! I stuck to my guns (politely) and even amazed myself at my assertiveness. Eventually he said that he couldn't continue having a prolonged argument with me and agreed to the repair. I found out later that the body shop guy (good on him) had also told the assessor on the phone that the vehicle was worth a lot more and was worth repairing before the assessor phoned me. I suppose the assessor hoped I would just give in to it being written off.

It’s been a long wait. The side door arrived from Japan within 2-3 weeks, but the passenger door took 4 months to get here after several 'due' dates came and went. It should be finished by next Friday so all has ended happily, apart from the large excess I have to pay. I also learned the hard way that although it is nice to be concerned about people, if they are not injured get their details ASAP. There would have been no argument about who's fault it was from the location of the damage.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: Crash, bang, wallop and a 5 month wait

Post by roosmith » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:56 pm

I've had a couple of knocks within the last year (not in the Bongo thankfully, just the work car :) ) and on both occasions it wasn't my fault and the other person agreed while at the side of the road. Of course as soon as the insurance people got involved the story changed and all of a sudden it was my fault. In one of them someone drove at right angles into the side of me, as they pulled out of a junction and I was on the main road. This would ended up being put down as 50/50 fault!!!! Still have no idea how that can be justified but that was as good as my insurance company could do apparently!

So I would add to your advice - most of us carry smartphones with us nowadays, not only take pictures etc but leave the video recording (even if it is just in your hand) so hopefully you get at least audio record of how the conversation went.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Yes, good point. At the time I didn't have a phone with a camera in, but a friend was sending me their old one which arrived shortly after - Sod's Law! If I am ever unfortunate enough for someone to drive into the side of me again I will take plenty of pics and turn the video on.

I rather suspect that if I had got the old guys details he might have not have been allowed to drive any more. Thank goodness there wasn't a cyclist between him and my vehicle.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Were the police not able to trace him from the partial match on the number plate? Years ago, someone did a hit & run but because I got his reg number, the police paid him a visit. Despite his vehicle having corresponding dent & my paint on it, he flatly denied it was him & claimed someone must have taken his car without his knowledge. In the end, went to court & it cost him a lot more in fines, expenses & points than it cost me to get a new wing.

I've got a couple of dash cams now which may come in handy if something like that happens again.
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:23 pm

I would have thought that the police could have found him, Simon, and I had a description of his car, but they were not interested as no-one was hurt. Good to hear that your incident turned out well for you.

I figured that he was too old to have driven here from a great distance plus he smashed into me in a small back road / cut through that I would think only locals would know about. The town I live in is not very big. Unfortunately the road he turned into at the T junction has no CCTV. He could have turned left and then into the main street which does, so I told the police the time he drove off - I thought it might be easy to just check a window of 5-10minutes and to spot a car with a number plate hanging off! But the policeman was going off duty - the station is only open for 2 hours in the afternoon!

I beat myself up about my stupidity for ages going over it in my mind. I realised afterwards that if I had run after him and if he had had to wait at the junction around the corner for traffic to go by, I might have seen his entire number plate. But my bag and money were in my unlocked van, plus my dog who had been lying right by the side door, and I just didn't think fast enough to run after him. I think the shock froze my brain! #-o

He had a dog that is not very common around here and I tried all the vets and petshops in a 10 mile radius in case someone recognised the dog and the man with no voice, plus mobility shops for the elderly, post offices and a day care centre, and other shop owners, but no joy.

My Bongo was driveable afterwards and passed its MOT but I'm glad it's being fixed not least to get rid of the constant reminder about how stupid I was not to get his details straightaway. I am a dog lover though and was most concerned about getting his dog off the road.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:21 pm

This is a bit rough for you but I think it just has to go Down to Experience.

Likely the old fool will do it again soon and hopefully be stopped from driving, and at least Bongy is coming home.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:31 pm

I've got a dash cam as well
Think you need one these days

My mate had a car run into the back of him at a roundabout
They both got out other bloke said sorry mate my fault
Shall we go round roundabout and park in that lay bye to swop details
As my mate drove off round the round about to the right to clear the road
The other bloke waved and went left
He never did catch him
£900 repair bill
Always take pics

We have dash cams and throw away cameras is work van
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:15 pm

I had a car written off by a fire engine storming through a red light in a 30 mph zone on a 999 call.
Witnesses said the fire engine was driving way too fast and an ex fireman told me they're supposed to treat red lights as they would 'give way' signs.
At the scene, the police asked if I wanted charges pressed against the driver. I said no unless he'd been drinking.

After much haggling and the fire service wanting to take the case to court, a helpful bloke from my insurance company told me that a court would never find against an emergency vehicle on a 999 call, no matter what the circumstances.
The case was settled 60/40 in the fire brigades favour.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Tony x wrote:I had a car written off by a fire engine storming through a red light in a 30 mph zone on a 999 call.
Witnesses said the fire engine was driving way too fast and an ex fireman told me they're supposed to treat red lights as they would 'give way' signs.
At the scene, the police asked if I wanted charges pressed against the driver. I said no unless he'd been drinking.

After much haggling and the fire service wanting to take the case to court, a helpful bloke from my insurance company told me that a court would never find against an emergency vehicle on a 999 call, no matter what the circumstances.
The case was settled 60/40 in the fire brigades favour.

Big mistake, they are professional drivers and must stick to the Law, I know it might sound harsh but think about it.... A red light means stop or proceed with caution in the case of Emergency Services. God forbid but it could have been a mother/father with a bairn in a pram.

[-o< [-o<
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 pm

I agree Rita, I should have pressed charges but, post crash, I wasn't thinking so clearly.
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:08 am

What a barsteward, gasy - 900 squids - your poor mate, trusting the guy.

It's good to be aware of these stories and different circumstances where people have been conned. I would probably have trusted someone who said that they were going to pull over to park - but I won't now after reading that! In future I'll take pics or at least note down the registration first thing if my phone battery is flat.

Yes, Bob - I can put it behind me and I'm happy that my bongo is being repaired. I might post some pics when he is back and looking good again.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
Snoozie
Bongolier

Post by Snoozie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:34 am

That's bad luck Tony, at least you were not hurt(?) I hope even though your car was written off. It’s hard to know what to do in an unusual experience, and when you’re in shock. Plus there's pressure to let them get on to the emergency rather than exchanging all details with the driver. I think if I was in that situation I would hope that it could be sorted later but it seems that getting the driver's information is important. I hope that fire engine driver was more careful in future.

I couldn't find much on the internet about accidents with emergency vehicles, apart from this:

http://www.trafficaccidentadvice.co.uk/ ... hicle.html

Bits from it:

Emergency vehicles actually have no special rights when it comes to liability if they’re involved in an accident with another vehicle. If an emergency services vehicle hits your car and is at fault, then the same laws as all other road users govern them.

Most people assume that because an emergency vehicle is perhaps heading to an emergency situation that the thought of claiming against them is morally wrong - this isn’t the case. Even when speeding to help another individual, it is the duty of an emergency services vehicle to show due care and responsibility to all other road users. You can definitely still claim personal injury compensation against an emergency services vehicle such as a police car, ambulance or fire engine.

If you do have to make a claim against an emergency services driver, get the same details from them as you would from other drivers in an accident situation. Primarily you would need the drivers name, address and telephone number. Also, if you can, get the names and addresses of any witnesses as your insurance company or claim company may need this at some point.

You have to ideally be able to prove that the other individual was responsible for the accident and this can be difficult. Get as many notes as you can down about it – from the exact location to the weather conditions at the time. If you’re able, get their insurance details also. Most drivers who handle emergency service vehicles on a daily basis will be aware of their company insurance and getting this at the scene of the accident can save time later.

Hopefully it will never happen to any of us, but I'm glad I read it so I would know what to do if it did.
Keep Calm and Bongo On!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 am

Last year .. a Jaguar in front of me stopped .. I stopped .. the girl behind me in a Suzuki did'nt and she got hooked onto my tow bar ..

When she got out she was distaught, crying and apologising .. with the back of my Bongo convered in road spray I could'nt see any damage Bongo and with the girls distress I 'let her off' .. even saying ' be more carefull and have a nice day '..

An hour later I was telling my daughter about it, when she then pointed out the cracked .. 'spidering' to the corner of my bumber and the (slight) damage to the corner of my tail gate .. chrome exhaust trim .. bent LPG filler bracket ......

She remarked .. "Do you reckon if you had rear ended the Jaguar .. he would have been so forgiving" ..??

Some time later I casualy asked a local garage how much to repair / spray the bumber etc: as a 'cash job' ... around £400+ ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:40 pm

roosmith wrote:I've had a couple of knocks within the last year (not in the Bongo thankfully, just the work car :) ) and on both occasions it wasn't my fault and the other person agreed while at the side of the road. Of course as soon as the insurance people got involved the story changed and all of a sudden it was my fault. In one of them someone drove at right angles into the side of me, as they pulled out of a junction and I was on the main road. This would ended up being put down as 50/50 fault!!!! Still have no idea how that can be justified but that was as good as my insurance company could do apparently!

So I would add to your advice - most of us carry smartphones with us nowadays, not only take pictures etc but leave the video recording (even if it is just in your hand) so hopefully you get at least audio record of how the conversation went.

Good point on the smart phones, I would even take the picture of the driver now!

Who knows which way insurance company will swing!

Over ten years ago now but I was slammed into from behind by a foreigner driving a hire car whilst sitting on a congested slip road waiting to leave the motorway. I had a Highways Agency guy as a witness who happened to be just along the road. Anyway after all said and done my insurer wrote of my car and told me that as the other driver had a very agressive solicitor said that to settle this they were going agree to a knock for knock but pay all my expenses and give a full book price for my motor. I went ballistic but had no choice as they werer paying all my bils. Of course my NCB was still in tact as it should be. This is because they reckoned that to defend it would take a long time and cost them more money so it was cheaper to admit part liability and go with it and pay out less.

That insurer who cannot be named were not on comparison websites are on line -direct

Isurance is a lottery in my opinion and they are a law unto themselves. For them it's all ab out money nothing else!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas

Return to “Insurance”