Location for Scottish Bongo Bash 2015?

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

mchacksu
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Location for Scottish Bongo Bash 2015?

Post by mchacksu » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 pm

How about cobeland campsite near Aberfoyle. Its close to the village for pubs/food loads of walks and cycle paths in the area and only 40 mins by bus to stirling.
Might be worth a look they seem group friendly.
Ehu available if early in the year.
Don't follow me I scare myself !!
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 am

mchacksu wrote:How about cobeland campsite near Aberfoyle.
We stayed there for a night back in July,there's a notice in reception advising
if you haven't stayed before they recommend you only book for 1 night at first
as you may find the midges unbearable!

We stayed a night at Silversands in Lossie during the same tour,looked like they
were doing some work to it as looking at their site plan we were on new hard
standing pitches next to the tourers and the hire fleet was actually tents.
Great site though as long as you don't mind the noise of the RAF jets taking off and landing
during the day.
Ian wrote:
Here's a review of this site:

It is worth giving the midges a paragraph of their own, for at Caolasnacon they are absolutely ferocious. For at least two hours at sun up and sun down, it is nigh on impossible to sit out, so keep this in mind when planning your day. We quickly learned when to cook and eat outside the tent to avoid the worst of them, and even at that, we have come home covered in bites. The Caolnasnacon midges don't quite top the nearby Red Squirrel Campsite's infamous midges for viciousness, but they're a close contender for the Midgie Cup all the same. If you have any faith in midge repellent, take it and make it the first thing you pull out of your car boot when you arrive.
Inspired by this review we went and stayed 1 night at Red Squirrel and 1 night at Caolasnacon to see who would win the Midge Cup!
result was inconclusive as there wasn't many at the Squirrel and none at Caolasnacon due to the breeze,although the lady in the farmhouse
did say they were bad in the morning before the wind picked up :lol:
all the same but different
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm

I was brought up in Gartmore, a couple of miles from Cobleland - I can confirm that the midgies there can be "an issue". The campsite itself is in a hollow with a river running through it. Tends to be not windy, and as it's close to water you can see the issue. I'm scratching my head even thinking about it!

I'm currently in Elgin, close to Silver Sands and Findhorn, so I'm going to head out today or tomorrow on the bike to visit both and see what they are like (being local, I've never stayed at either). There's plenty do do & see in the Moray area though. More on that to follow.

DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:50 pm

Right. Mission partially accomplished. 50 miles pedalled, and I've got a sore bum.

So, Silver Sands looks like a strong possibility. They have no problem booking 30 EHU pitches together, and the adjacent space has some non-EHU pitches, so people wanting to show off solar panels can be catered for too. They like dogs, and children. Preferably small ones as the bread up here is small. They are not fussy about the definition of a campervan / motorhome / MPV & Awning / tent. However, as they (like everywhere) are busy in July / Aug, we would need to book early. They didn't say how early, but I guess common sense says Spring time?

Site facilities include Pool, Sauna, Gym (all new), kids play area, Arcade, games room, Live entertainment, family entertainment, kids entertainment, chippy, restaurant, bar, shop and beach. (Muz, did you see that - Chippy!). No fires on the ground or disposable barbies unless they are in a stand, but there is a huge beach running along the back of the site with multiple access points. No restrictions on fires there (tide permitting!)

I visited Findhorn Bay, but they were out. I got the impression that the touring pitches were a 1st come 1st served arrangement, but I'll phone them to check. Also they had far fewer spaces than Silver Sands.

I have 3 others locally to check out (maybe in the van though unless my legs recover quickly). Hopeman, Burghead and Brodie.

Thinking about the area as I pedalled around, I reckon it would be a good venue for a bash, with plenty to do whilst in the area.

Distilleries - Far to many to mention, and if you are into that sort of thing, you probably know already. Gordon McPhails in Elgin is worth a visit if you want to buy a dram, or beer / wine / etc.
Beaches - Lossiemouth, Hopeman, Cummingston, Burghead, Roseisle, Findhorn, Nairn - all cracking beaches.
Cycling - Road; Lots of wee country roads with minimal traffic to pedal around. Mountain; No shortage either. Moray Monster Trails at Fochabers, and the new Glenlivet trails opened last year. In addition there are 'unofficial' trails in Lossie, Forres, Elgin and various locations around for most abilities. I'd be happy to show the best locations to folks.
Pubs - A few good ones in Lossie, Couple in Elgin (Thunderton House re-opening soon, as is the Cooperage, so 2 unknown quantities at this stage), a few in Forres too.
Eating Out - Good chippys all around the area. Couple of very good restaurants in Elgin, Lossie and Forres, some decent (cheaper, less "wow") in Lossie and Elgin. Decent curry houses in Elgin. Not sure about Forres, probably just as good.
Plane Spotting - As was mentioned earlier, Silver Sands is right next to R.A.F. Lossiemouth, so if you like fast jets ideal for you. If you don't like them perhaps not so (they don't tend to fly at weekends unless there's an exercise on). The Tornadoes there have just been replaced by Typhoons - Significantly louder.
Shopping / Supermarkets - Tesco in Elgin & Forres, Asda in Elgin, Sainsburys in Nairn, Aldi & Lidl in Elgin, Co-Op (IIRC) in Lossie. i.e. Plenty. Actual "shopping" not too much, go to Inverness!
Cinema - One in Elgin (wee and old), more modern VUE in Inverness (45 miles)
Leisure Centre - Moray Leisure Centre in Elgin has a pool, gym and Ice rink.
Karting - There is an excellent outdoor kart track by Lhanbryde (Run by a mate of mine, I'm sure we can do a deal). They also do Segways and laser clays. Adjacent to them is "The Playbarn", soft play area for younger kids with a cafe/ restaurant.
Old Stuff - Elgin has a brilliant, ruined, cathedral. Various other artefacts around the area. Duffus Castle, Spynie Palace, etc.
Golf - [edit] Nearly forgot! Golf courses all over the area. No idea about them as it isn't my thing. Lossie Golf Course is about 5 mins walk from Silver Sands.

I should get a job with the moray tourist board!
Image...Image
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:48 am

Plenty of information Dave, sounds ideal, so much to do, think we will have to book for the week, we were regulars to this site 20 or so years ago and it was good then, sounds as though it even improved its facilities greatly since I was there. Only think against it is it maybe just too far north for some.

Jim..
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:49 am

Dave,

Did you check if they did Bingo? :lol:

Which site did you visit at Findhorn. If it was the Findhorn Foundation site then they don't take bookings.

Paul
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

Hi Paul,

I visited both. The foundation was the one who were out, and I suspected don't take bookings as you have confirmed. I also visited Findhorn Sands - they stopped taking tourers 4 years ago.

I didn't date ask about bingo. For the die-hards there is a bingo place in Elgin just down the street from me (no, I don't!)

DA
Image...Image
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:14 am

Jim the Box wrote:Plenty of information Dave, sounds ideal, so much to do, think we will have to book for the week, we were regulars to this site 20 or so years ago and it was good then, sounds as though it even improved its facilities greatly since I was there. Only think against it is it maybe just too far north for some.

Jim..
Well, if we try and book it from the Thursday through to Monday it will make the travelling worthwhile, especially for those coming up from Englandshire. How would 23rd to 27th July fit in with things?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:31 am

That will be the first weekend of school holidays for most kids in England so may make it more accessible for some.

By then we may all need to have renewed our passports though :wink:
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Muz I'm sure that you will be able to find a Scottish friend who will furnish you with the reference that you will need to obtain a visa to visit Bonny Scotland in the future. Mind you all the wild camping that you do might be held against you. Us stingy Scotsmen will be just after your money once we are independent. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:41 pm

And Lossie has a very good small brewery by the name of Windswept who produce some great beer.
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Oh, shame on me! How could I forget.

Windswept in Lossie, and David Macdonald's Spey Valley Brewery also local (Mulbem near Keith). http://www.speyvalleybrewery.co.uk/

In the interest of balance, there's also http://www.speysidecraftbrewery.com/, which some people seem to like (I'm not a fan)
Image...Image
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Chaps! We have now booked Silver Sands (subject to the usual negotiations). The event will be held from Wed 29 July to Mon 3 Aug. Minimum booking 2 nights. We have 30 electric grass-pitches available.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:24 pm

Dave. What is the best way to get there from the south. Go all the way to Inverness on the A9 then travel along the A96 coast road or to cut across from Aviemore on the A95.

Tony

http://silver-sands.co.uk/
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:58 am

There are a couple of options.

You can go all the way to Inverness, and then turn right. It's a nice city to visit en-route, but it's not the most direct route.

So, by next summer, the average speed cameras on the A9 will be live, so it will be interesting to see how they affect journey times. From Perth to Elgin, it's 20 miles further if you go via the A90 and Aberdeen. As long as you don't hit Aberdeen at rush hour, that's a viable option.

Regardless of the journey times due to cameras, the A9 on a nice day is stunning, so I expect is still going to be the best option (and has the Ballinuig Motor Grill for a food stop!)

Leaving the A9 at Aviemore (handy spot for a coffee break), there are a 3 further options.

The signposted route (to Elgin) is via Grantown-on-spey, then up through speyside via Aberlour, Rothes, to Elgin following the A95, then on to Lossie.

You can also go to Grantown and go "straight on", leaving the A95 to go over the east side of the Dava Moor on the A939 & A940 to Forres, then along the A96 to Forres.

My personal favourite though (and quickest) is to take the A95 out of Aviemore, but head for Carrbridge on the B9153. At Carrbridge, take the A938 to the Western side of the Dava Moor, turning onto the B9007 via Ferness. This joins the A940 near Forres, then you use the A96 to Elgin and the A941 to Lossie.

Going over either side of the Dava moor, half-way over you pass lochindorb, where there is an unclassified road linking both routes around the southern shore of the loch. Ideal spot for a picnic stop. In the middle of the loch, there is an island with a ruined castle - the former home of Alexander Stewart "The Wolf of Badenoch", a nice chap who burned down Elgin cathedral in 1390. One positive aspect of this was that he gave the name "Wolf" to one of Windswept Brewery's beers, a 6% dark and strong ale.

Hopefully it'll be a nice day for a drive from whatever direction folks are arriving.

DA
Image...Image

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”