Tarp and awning adventures

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Paulinwales
Bongolier

Tarp and awning adventures

Post by Paulinwales » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Here's some ideas I have been playing around with this year. I wanted to add lots of quick easy and cheap+++ to provide effective cover from annoying wind and rain and sun. I also wanted to trap hot air from my wood burner stove I made. These tarps are aroun £10 each and pack t shirt small. The eyelets are better and less sharp and prone to rusting as they are copper i believe or brass don't rust.

Quick fiamma tarp windbreaks - army tarps with velcro cable ties - better than the zip awning 'box' i sold (imo)

then i used the above idea to my traveller 3 awning. The long side across the holes can be fitted to the existing sun canapy pole extension screwsconveniently (screw goes threw eyelotes and screws on (awning 350cm across) to create a sun shelter with 2 poles and 2 paracord tensioners additional tarps can be added to track sun and block it as needed and setup in 5 mins with 1 person

makes the awning 5m x 3.5m ( biggest there is) and a useful communal space. works for wind up to 25mph approx force 5 but not gales.

Then i went one step further and put a silicon hose ( 76mm over 3" pipe) over gas bottle wood burner pipe, and made a cheap silicon flashing to tarp just drill hole in - it fits tightly and steadies chimney tho not recommended in any wind (stillnights only) btw the pipe is still hand hot at hottest burn (450 internal temp - yes i have an oven thermometer fitted ) - but I would not recommended for others due to risks of hot metal and tarps etc. I did alot of measurements and research before fitting and extinguish fire and take assembly down before bed or drinking too much. common sense applies - as with anything...

recently I put a kador strip to tarp to make simpler mounting and quicker and safer.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Tarp and awning adventures

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Love the stove :). A few more things to do with tarps:

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm

Looks a really useful shelter, and your stove looks great. :D
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:01 pm

Cheers guys, my solution to frontier stove. Made for £10 and a few hours work. Thermometer and oversized oven sealed door.
Bbq grill inside also can be removed and will take medium cast iron pot for oven cooking

Just posted to share ideas. Good solution for wild 1 night stays

Ps like the japanese tarps. Some good ideas going. Not sure where you would purchase tho? Would prob have to make/refine existing solutions?
:) Paul
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 am

Having a Fiamma fitted on Friday. Love the idea of the cheap but effective side tarp. Had been planning to try something similar. Good to see yours.
Love that stove!
Mrs Muppet
Bongonaut

Post by Mrs Muppet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:34 am

Drat!
Went over to get Fiamma fitted but the firm had got the wrong bracket.
We have a JAL Skylift roof and it seems that we need, not the new awning fixing, but the original one which sits on the gutter and presumably needs drilling and fixing to the body for extra strength.
Anyone reading this who has fitted a Fiamma with a Mushroom or Skylift roof ..... would love your feedback.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”