MOT Failure on Emissions

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

ianpaull
Junior Bongonaut

MOT Failure on Emissions

Post by ianpaull » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi all, having a few issues getting the Bongo through its MOT on the emissions front. I think its failing on the hydrocarbons. reading should be 5.0 and is +3 over or something like that. Anyway, anyone had a similar issue and gotten around it? MOT centre suggesting we give it a hard run before a retest. They've pumped some fuel system cleaner in there (apparently the redex i have been using is 20 times less effective) Not sure of the name of this stuff but its stopped it smoking and reduced the turbo lag almost instantly so must be good! Any thoughts, comments appreciated as ever. Thanks :?
Ian Paull
1997 Ford Freda 2.5L turbo diesel 4wd SGL5F
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: MOT Failure on Emissions

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 pm

With diesels it's customry to give it an 'Italian tune up' prior to the test. You need to get the revs up near the redline for a good few miles to clean out all the crud and get it as hot as possible. I'm taking my V6 in for MOT tomorrow and will give it a blast down the motorway on the way to the test station.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 pm

a basic service can help, air filter and an oil change if it burns a bit. has the egr been blanked off, you could alter the crank case breather pipe so it vents to atmosphere instead of going back into the air filter pipe (like on the old mini's), mines like that.

the italian tune up really works, cleaning the oil out of the air inlet manifold and inter cooler pipework.
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:25 pm

I agree with the italian tune up
had A4 fail and said i'll be back in 1/2 hr
but removing inlets to egr and basting with squirty carbretor cleaner will help
this last time reoved entire egr pipe work and cleaned first
i did once see squirty egr cleaner some where
always warm up a diesel thouroughly before an MOT

ps not had any problems with Bongo on 70/30 Diesel rapeseed at MOT time
ianpaull
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ianpaull » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am

thanks for your comments, will give it a try :D
Ian Paull
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 am

Putting a % of veg oil in is also supposed to reduce emissions (rapeseed for preference).
ianpaull
Junior Bongonaut

Post by ianpaull » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Well, thanks for your comments all. MOT is now sorted. They've used a can of BG (https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline ... -product-1) and given it a good thrashing which has improved things good enough to give it a pass.
Ian Paull
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Well done on the pass. :)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Result ! Probably best to only thrash it when it is close to normal operating temperature so the oil reduces wear. i.e. don't thrash it from a start on a cold winters day.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:53 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Result ! Probably best to only thrash it when it is close to normal operating temperature so the oil reduces wear. i.e. don't thrash it from a start on a cold winters day.

Why would you want to do this to an old Donkey....... [-X [-X [-X
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:36 pm

Interestingly I ran a can of BG244 (Diesel version) through my last tank. Personally I did not notice massive difference as I already use a less potent but regular diesel additive which does a good job. The BG is a high concentration for fast cleaning of deposits off of injectors, valves and the cylinder head surfaces. I think a can of BG244 is good every 2 years or so. (Maybe once a year of you had emissions issues like your good self)

I like the idea that everything is clean and using fuel optimally, performance, economy and environmentally so. It has had a good clean out now in the 6 months I have owned it so will just use the standard additive which I feel makes a difference I can feel, engine noise, power, smoothness, sure starting. It makes the diesel feel just slightly more modern than it is to me, if I had to quantify by about 10pct. That's worth the £0.95 investment per tank in Millers. It is similar to using Supreme Diesel but less costly (around 80 pct less costly)

At today's prices :

Supreme is £1.29 and normal diesel £1.19 that is £6.50 more to fill up a 65L Bongo tank with supreme diesel and a single shot of Millers Diesel Power Eco Max is £0.95 a tank, that is not a small difference.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:19 pm

When I said "It makes the diesel feel just slightly more modern than it is to me, if I had to quantify by about 10pct. " I meant the diesel engine, not the actual diesel. :lol:

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”