£38 paint kit, is there enough for this ?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: £38 paint kit, is there enough for this ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:51 pm

So I am planning to re-lacquer the bonnet as I am not very pleased with the cheap lacquer job. I have de greased once today and will do that again tomorrow to e sure. Then I am going to re-key with super fine wire wool and use the 2K lacquer tomorrow. I now have a spray gun handle which should help as well.

The paint match and quality looks good but I am not convinced of the quality of the cheap lacquer that I originally bought. (I suspect even the Hycote lacquer would have been better quality but I have a small can of 2K which cost £20.00 and where better to use than the bonnet)

No surprises here really.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:53 pm

Been spraying it today as I had time to sort this.... enough for 2-3 decent coats I think.....hope it plays well with the re-keyed acrylic lacquer underneath. Still looks somewhat patchy to me ( think this comes from spraying outside which is not ideal), I am not a professional sprayer. Results should good/durable enough for a 20 year old bonnet. This 2K lacquer has good UV protection and is supposed to be rock hard so should preserve the base coats better which is all I am after really. Better off on my bonnet than in the can.

More details on how the 2K activator cans work here:

http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk/pro ... 3965-p.asp

Seems you need to spray it and use it all within 48 hours.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:27 am

If it all goes Tits Up you could always fit one of these.

https://van-x.co.uk/mazda-bongo-black-l ... t-bra.html

:lol:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:06 am

That's true, I don't like them myself and worry about them trapping screen wash in between it and the bonnet (screen spray was the cause of my burnt original lacquer) but it looks ok this morning. Only issue is I did not use blend in spray in case it caused a problem with the activation of the 2K properties of the lacquer. I will do some polishing up to blend in and remove slight over spray etc. on it after a few days drying. I think it will be very well protected now as I have a good thick layer on.

I am going to borrow my dads electric polishing machine to make a better and lighter job of it. My hand hurt for 2 days afterwards after a good scrub up last time. Not used to this type of work lol.

It is as good as it needs to be and looks better than it did before.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Did some more spray painting this weekend. Successful in the end and a nice finish, top of rear tailgate had scorching and white lacquer peel. New things I learnt.

Whilst a fine dry day is good (early mornings and later evenings), middle of the day on a sunny day is not. Surface temperature gets very high 50C+ ? and the spray paint/lacquer does not settle well. It will not gloss over and has a rather sandpaper like texture with little gloss. Dries fast mind you. Spraying outdoors will always be a compromise. I left it till evening to make some changes, lightly abraded the surface again and sprayed and lacquer to a nice smooth fairly shiny seemless finish in the cooler temperature.

Make sure your vehicle is the right orientation away from the direct sun. The difference between the shaded part of a car body and that in the sun is huge. 35C or so I estimate.

Wherever you think the spray paint won't go where you mask, it will (even a light breeze tends to carry it). And you will be left with masking lines. I had to sort those out as well. Enjoyed the process ultimately but as always a few hiccups along the way. Certainly looks much better than scorched/pealed white lacquer. I think there must be 6 coats of lacquer on there (never used the 2 Pack this time)

I do not think I would buy 2 Pack lacquer again. Once it hardens it is like a layer of superglue over the paint (it uses the same chemicals as superglue). Great for scratch protection and anti UV qualities. A nightmare to re-work if something did not go quite right. It really is tough as nails. I used Hycote Body Shop lacquer and it seems pretty good.

Happy with the results.

Return to “Bongo Chat”