Full dash pimp

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

spawnedc
Junior Bongonaut

Full dash pimp

Post by spawnedc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Hi guys,

I bought a 1995 2.5l 4x4 Bongo (automatic) a couple of months ago and loving it! I already built a very basic kitchen unit with a small sink and a few cupboards, not perfect, but does the job for now. Still needs a little bit polishing though :) Here's a photo album for you (photos are a little bit old, I'll post new ones soon): https://plus.google.com/photos/11143046 ... 1162570401

I've been working on a full dashboard mod, something like this: http://www.mp3car.com/worklogs/132678-m ... build.html. Maybe not that detailed, since my hardware setup will take much less space. If I can take it a little bit further, I *might* add a motorised screen :) I also will need to fit a leisure battery at some point.

Computer hardware/software is almost done. Here's my list of hardware:
- Raspberry Pi Model B+
- 7 inch lcd screen with touch
- USB GPS receiver
- DC 12V to 5V USB Step-down Power Module
- 20x4 LCD display module
- Si4703 FM RDS Tuner
- DEOK TA2024B Digital Audio Amplifier

For software, I'm using XBMC on top of Raspbian. Mostly following this guy's path: http://www.engineering-diy.blogspot.ro/. I'm planning to mount the screen to the centre console, with 2 rotary encoders at the sides. I'll use 20x4 lcd display for the voltages, temperature etc. The step-down module will be connected to the battery, still need to find a way to detect the ignition state to keep the power on until Raspberry Pi turns itself off.

My question is, would it be possible to move the blowers to the sides and the A/C controllers to the bottom centre? And how easy would it be to detach the whole dashboard?

I'm open to any suggestions/critics :)
jimmo62
Bongolier

Re: Full dash pimp

Post by jimmo62 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:01 am

Sounds great. Just a few thoughts....

Would be much simpler to mount it in the cubby hole to avoid major dashboard surgery.

You could add temp sensors. also you can get current sensors for the Arduino which would also work on the Pi - and use these to keep track of AH used from the leisure battery when you fit it - should give a more accurate idea of LB level than just voltage.

You can also get a cheap IR remote control which might give you an easier to use interface (e.g. numeric input) as an second option as well as the rotary encoders.

How will you load GPS map updates - via USB or could you drop in a wifi module so you can connect up to home wifi (and/or open wifi access points - then you could access internet....).

I've been playing with bluetooth and Arduino - which gives the option of controlling the whole thing from a mobile phone as a remote controller which gives you a really nice user interface. If you use wifi instead of bluetooth you could use web pages to control things rather than having to write a bluetooth based app so that would be simpler so maybe another reason to go wifi?
spawnedc
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Full dash pimp

Post by spawnedc » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Hi Jimmo,

Sorry for the (very) late response, but I was quite busy lately.

I have to agree that it will be a little bit overkill, and I can definitely use the cubby hole. The main thing is, there will be navigation as well, so I don't really want to take my eyes off the road. Cubby hole is far too below the eye sight. I might do a minor surgery and keep all the blowers, and mount the screen on top of the dashboard.

Re: current sensors, yeah, I didn't give it a good thought yet but voltage also gives you a good idea of the battery level, right? I'm quite new, so please feel free to explain like you would do to a 7 years old :)

My Bongo doesn't have electric hookup either, so I'm planning to fit that along with a charger for the LB.

Re: IR for input, I have something like this already: Wireless Keyboard Touchpad Mouse Combo

Re: Map updates, I have a wireless module, called wi-pi. So I'll be using my home network to do any updates. I'm also planning to make it easily detachable so I can take it back to home for modifications/updates.

I was planning to use bluetooth for playing audio from phones but never thought to use it for full control. XBMC provides you a web interface that you can control the whole app. I'm not sure if you can control FM radio or navigation, but I think you can upload/download files. You can also control RPi via ssh. Wifi makes more sense I guess.

All those things are long term plans, obviously. I just hope that I'll find the time I need earlier :)

Merry Christmas and happy new year!

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”