Carbon Wrap

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

stuc
Supreme Being

Re: Carbon Wrap

Post by stuc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Aye but it's still chrome underneath for when I get sick and want to change it back. That's why I didn't want to paint it.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:15 am

Stu
My bumper is pretty pitted with stone chips one guy wanted £500 to respray it so thought abou carbon wrap but needs an expert don,t think it's a job for a novice like me.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:37 am

It does not cover chips etc they will show
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:30 pm

Been quoted a basic £1245 plus vat for a full wrap, not incl roof. As I have had quotes of £2k and upwards for a respray, is it worth considering a wrap on a 20 year old vehicle?

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi Derek
If you get it wrapped, don't go anywhere warm with it...a year or two and it'll peel....there are hundreds of wrapped vehicles over here, and they are pretty good at it , with some incredible work on them.....BUT...look at them a year or two down the line . Mind you, it does go into the mid 40's here, and it really knackers the wrap.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Helen..

not much chance of the mid 40's round here :D ..

I know a great body shop in Murcia, Spain, probably half the cost of UK, so toying with running Bongy down there, as we have old mates that we can stay with :wink:

Derek
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Having a complete wrap is all well & good, but what happens when you get a trolley scrape down the side which exposes the paintwork? Not something you can really use touch up paint or T-cut on. Perhaps a patch cut from some nice wood effect Fablon? :).

The other thing is you'd really want the body work to be rust free before you start so it does bubble up underneath.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Good points. Must say I prefer a paint job, it's just that it's SO expensive! :shock: :shock:

Derek
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 am

Hi Derek
I could get you a good paint job here for a fraction of UK prices...but the fuel bill's a killer...mind you, if you're up for a trip to Greece..stop over here while the Bongo's done!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 am

Great offer Helen, but I think we're staying UK bound for the foreseeable future!

Derek
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 am

Simon Jones wrote:Having a complete wrap is all well & good, but what happens when you get a trolley scrape down the side which exposes the paintwork? Not something you can really use touch up paint or T-cut on. Perhaps a patch cut from some nice wood effect Fablon? :).

The other thing is you'd really want the body work to be rust free before you start so it does bubble up underneath.
2nd wot he sez.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:10 am

Jim the Box wrote:Stu
My bumper is pretty pitted with stone chips one guy wanted £500 to respray it so thought abou carbon wrap but needs an expert don,t think it's a job for a novice like me.
I got a great condition 2nd hand compressor and spray gun on ebay. Then i got some spray paint mixed up at a paint shop and enjoyed doing the whole job for under £100. It wasn't difficult and it was very rewarding. Why not try that?
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:10 pm

I'm going to roller paint mine :shock: cost about £100 in rustoleum paint
http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... start=2655

Dr Fingers wrote:Good points. Must say I prefer a paint job, it's just that it's SO expensive! :shock: :shock:

Derek
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Jim the Box wrote:Stu
Hi Jim, my bonnet was quite badly chipped, but I just flatted them slightly with P1500 and wrapped over them and none are visible through the wrap.
I would maybe attempt a bumper but I think it would be hard. You've gotta be brave and heat it and really stretch it. You also need good quality wrap with the little lines on the back which helps get the air out.
As you are aware I am a painter and I would prefer to paint it but the wrap will do in the meantime.
Hopefully at some time soon I am gonna paint the whole van white again to freshen it up. I have the paint already just not the time. It doesn't look bad at the minute but when I clean it I notice all the tiny dents, stonechips and rusty bits. There is also some poor previous paintwork on the nearside which are noticeable in the sun.
You could get the price down by taking the bumper off( quite easy) and taking the bits off it and giving it to the bodyshop. If you were closer I could probably do it for you.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Just an update, I wrapped the 2 headlamp panels so it followed the bonnet line and grill line a bit better, I think it works.
It's addictive this wrapping thing.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”