Mystery Switch

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

garethjr
Junior Bongonaut

Mystery Switch

Post by garethjr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Good evening fellow Bongonauts,
While messing around with other stuff on the Bongo this evening I noticed a small round black switch on the panel below the steering column. Does anyone know what this is? I thought it may be a cut out switch, but the engine started with it in both positions.

I'll post a picture when I work out how!

Thanks,
Gareth
Gareth

1999 2.5V6 AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Mystery Switch

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:24 pm

Its likely to be an after market rear fog light.

Try it with the headlights on. :wink:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:28 pm

It could be anything really. Try it with the lights on to see if anything changes. If its a rear foglight then it should be an illuminated switch. Alternatively, have a look to see where the wiring goes

EDIT: what he said :)

How to post a picture: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =42&t=9285
garethjr
Junior Bongonaut

Post by garethjr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Well now I'm confused. I tried it with the foglights, but it had no effect (separate switch), so I switched it again to see what would happen - the headlights dimmed?!?!
I thought perhaps it cut the feed to the headlights, but when I looked a bit closer they are still on, but the power to them seems to be reduced, so that they are significantly dimmed.
I thought it may be to do with the main beam, but that is different again. Has anyone seen this before?
I think I need to invest in the translated owners manual, as I keep finding new things.....

Thanks as well for the link to posting pictures. I'll have a look then post a picture of the switch.
Gareth
Gareth

1999 2.5V6 AFT
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 pm

This sounds like an after market Dim/Dip system.

The idea is for town use where side (parking) lights are insufficient but head lights are thought too bright.

There was a plan to introduce them in the UK back in the eighties but our EU friends took us to court over it. :roll:

I'm guessing a previous owner liked gadgets. :)
garethjr
Junior Bongonaut

Post by garethjr » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi Bob,
Looks like you're right. It was a fresh import when I got it, so I wonder what other exciting gadgets have been hidden away for me to discover later by its previous owner!

Thanks,
Gareth

:lol:
Gareth

1999 2.5V6 AFT
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:26 pm

garethjr wrote:Well now I'm confused. I tried it with the foglights, but it had no effect (separate switch), so I switched it again to see what would happen - the headlights dimmed?!?!
I thought perhaps it cut the feed to the headlights, but when I looked a bit closer they are still on, but the power to them seems to be reduced, so that they are significantly dimmed.
I thought it may be to do with the main beam, but that is different again. Has anyone seen this before?
I think I need to invest in the translated owners manual, as I keep finding new things.....

Thanks as well for the link to posting pictures. I'll have a look then post a picture of the switch.
Gareth
Did you try it with the fogLIGHT, ie,the small red one at the rear of the Bongo,usually dangles below the rear bumper,works only when lights are on.

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:52 pm

garethjr wrote:Hi Bob,
Looks like you're right. It was a fresh import when I got it, so I wonder what other exciting gadgets have been hidden away for me to discover later by its previous owner!

Thanks,
Gareth

:lol:
Have you found the jack handle / spare wheel winder .. the sun censer for the A/C .. interior temp censer fan .. one swipe windscreen wipe ......??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:05 am

...adjusting the rear fan speed from the front controls.....
bongoroy63
Bongolier

Post by bongoroy63 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:10 am

Mike, sun sensor for the A/C? ....interior temp sensor fan?...... Where are those??? It was only the other day after you mentioned it that I found the one swipe wiper! I can't wait to find out what else Ive not discovered yet. I've had my Bongo nearly a year and still learning!
I can, I do, I did.
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Steering wheel adjuster.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
garethjr
Junior Bongonaut

Post by garethjr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi Brian,
I tried it with the foglights, one switch works both the front and the dangly rear on mine.

That list reminds me to check the spare (I know it's there, I looked), but I haven't tried removing it yet, which is a bit of an essential requirement for a spare tyre - looks like a spacesaver so I may replace with a full size, as it's probably pretty old.

Not sure about any of the other things listed - they sound made up - which usually means that they exist in Bongoland!

One thing I have seen mentioned is the button to wind the mirrors in - I can't see one, but that doesn't mean it isn't there - where would I find it?

Thanks,
Gareth

:mrgreen:
Gareth

1999 2.5V6 AFT
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:03 pm

garethjr wrote:One thing I have seen mentioned is the button to wind the mirrors in - I can't see one, but that doesn't mean it isn't there - where would I find it?

Thanks,
Gareth

:mrgreen:
The switch for retracting the mirrors should be next to the electric controls for adjusting the mirrors
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:27 pm

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Electrically retractable mirrors are very common but not fitted to all Bongos.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”