Glenshee

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

the.sasquatch
Bongolier

Glenshee

Post by the.sasquatch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Had the Freda up to Glenshee today for a day at the slopes :) makes such a difference to have a van to get changed in and have a chillout after. Saw a bongo up there too looked awesome 8)

Stopped on the way home to take a photo

the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Glenshee

Post by the laird » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 pm

Great pic awesome area
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Nice picture, looks like you could do with a bit more snow though :wink:
all the same but different
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:41 am

Half a chance and mulshy would be of with the mutt in tow! :D :D :D
the.sasquatch
Bongolier

Post by the.sasquatch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 pm

I do love it up there, if i hadn't had to work today i would have stayed for the night! Shame there wasn't more snow, the slopes were a tad icy in places was still great fun though
clutha
Bongolier

Post by clutha » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Last week I had a snow adventure too, the famous A83 that frequently has closures due to mud/Rock slides.
Set off to Strachur in fairly heavy snow but only some slush on the climb up, different story on the way back about 10pm, snowing heavily all the way home to Helensburgh. Climb up to the Rest and Be Thankfull was exciting, roads covered, white lines vanished, howling gale and blizzard. Freda steady as a rock. Only fly in the ointment was two followers on my bumper, closer than was wise on a dry road, what is it with some drivers. I stopped and made them overtake, then they crawled along at a snails pace.
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:52 am

Hi
Don't start me off on tailgaters in bad driving conditions :lol: ...I tend to stay at home in bad snow , as over here someone will be tailgating . I understand that it's their right to have an accident , but I just hope they naff off and do it with someone else! :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:48 am

the.sasquatch wrote:I do love it up there, if i hadn't had to work today i would have stayed for the night! Shame there wasn't more snow, the slopes were a tad icy in places was still great fun though
We stayed for a couple of nights there last year in February.
They actually have six hook ups (perhaps more now) for a fiver a night. Need to get there early to bag one though.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:12 pm

clutha wrote:Last week I had a snow adventure too, the famous A83 that frequently has closures due to mud/Rock slides.
Set off to Strachur in fairly heavy snow but only some slush on the climb up, different story on the way back about 10pm, snowing heavily all the way home to Helensburgh. Climb up to the Rest and Be Thankfull was exciting, roads covered, white lines vanished, howling gale and blizzard. Freda steady as a rock. Only fly in the ointment was two followers on my bumper, closer than was wise on a dry road, what is it with some drivers. I stopped and made them overtake, then they crawled along at a snails pace.
Using you like a guide dog.
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:02 am

the laird wrote:Half a chance and mulshy would be of with the mutt in tow! :D :D :D
More like the dog with me in tow :lol: :lol:
the.sasquatch wrote:I do love it up there, if i hadn't had to WORK today i would have stayed for the night!
"the curse of the drinking classes"
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:44 pm

mulshy... can I be nosey a minute??

We are looking at places for wild camping and saw your avatar pic thing. It looks amazing. Whereabouts was it taken and did you stay the night there??

Thanks in advance.
:)
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:40 pm

stewby wrote:mulshy... can I be nosey a minute??

We are looking at places for wild camping and saw your avatar pic thing. It looks amazing. Whereabouts was it taken and did you stay the night there??

Thanks in advance.
:)
Our avatar pic was taken down in Glen Etive on our first night of Bongo ownership :D
We did stay the night and have stayed there numerous times before we got our Freda and lots of times since.
It's a fantastic place although a bit popular these days so if you were to head over there for a wild camp
be sure to have a plan B as the spaces can fill up quickly(the Red Squirrel campsite is just down the next glen)
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:01 pm

I had one of my best wild camps ever in Glen Etive many years ago long before I got my Bongo. In a Saab 900 and with a small traditional ridge tent I wild camped about a mile down the glen on the left side from Glencoe on the banks of the River Etive. Spent next morning eating a leisurely breakfast while watching a pair of otters swimming up and down the river oblivious to my presence.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
stewby
Bongolier

Post by stewby » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks very much. Away to see if I can track it down on googlemaps.

Thank you.
:D

edit: I think this is where it is?? (the blue dot).
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... ScpqsXOPl0
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:45 pm

stewby wrote:
edit: I think this is where it is?? (the blue dot).
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... ScpqsXOPl0
Not sure where that spot is,looks a bit close to the estate and a house for us.
If you go down the glen it's worth driving down as far as you can go where they
have built a small car park with a board telling the story of Deirdre of the sorrows,
a Celtic princess from that area.Our avatar spot is just before the car park which
wasn't there then :wink:
MountainGoat wrote:I had one of my best wild camps ever in Glen Etive many years ago long before I got my Bongo. In a Saab 900 and with a small traditional ridge tent I wild camped about a mile down the glen on the left side from Glencoe on the banks of the River Etive. Spent next morning eating a leisurely breakfast while watching a pair of otters swimming up and down the river oblivious to my presence.
Tony sounds idyllic,we were down last year tent camping by the river,just me and the dog,
couldn't have a leisurely breakfast due to the midges though!

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”