Hardknott Pass in the snow

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Hardknott Pass in the snow

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:53 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:WOW is all I have to say... 4 x 4 I presume. Great job and did someone say no winter tyres ? GULP That is incredible but looks really dangerous as well.

Hats off to the Bongo !

I am not sure my humble 2WD would fair as well.
I'd leave it to the Northern Nutters to do this kind of crazy stuff. With modern technology you can enjoy the ride by proxy and not have to change your trousers afterwards :lol: :lol: :lol:
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:11 pm

All season Mud + Snow tyres could possibly done the job almost just as well as winter tyres.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:31 pm

When I were't lad... :lol:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:06 pm

It looks incredible... I think I might have to drive here en route to Scotland when we visit.

And just to confirm you have a 4WD Bongo right ?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Ours was in that video, and with a limited slip diff on the back axle.

You'll be fine in the summer :lol:
Garry W
Bongonaut

Post by Garry W » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:14 am

Muzorewa wrote:
Wotcha.

I took a ride over both passes back in September of 2009 . . . . . .five weeks later and some blind motorist almost took off my left leg :evil:

Ah well, I suppose some good came of it . . . . .because of the accident I can't get in and out of a tent . . . so I bought a Bongo :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvelo28P4QM
G.W.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:41 am

Muzorewa wrote:Ours was in that video, and with a limited slip diff on the back axle.

Cool video, a great winter evening watch... BONGO TV, now there is an idea.
cptsideways
Bongonaut

Post by cptsideways » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:57 pm

We might have done it in a Mazda2 on Toyo Snowproxes earlier in the year cough whilst the road was closed cough Just drove up & down all the ice & snow like it wasn't there :) Can't beat decent snow tyres :twisted:

Here it is, we toured the entire UK in this little thing over 7 weeks, we named it the snowmobile

I have to say 4wd Bongo's on good snow tyres are truly epic in snow, so next question is anybody got a set of wheels & snow tyres going - I need some for my new purchase
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:08 am

cptsideways wrote:We might have done it in a Mazda2 on Toyo Snowproxes earlier in the year cough whilst the road was closed cough Just drove up & down all the ice & snow like it wasn't there :) Can't beat decent snow tyres :twisted:

Here it is, we toured the entire UK in this little thing over 7 weeks, we named it the snowmobile

I have to say 4wd Bongo's on good snow tyres are truly epic in snow, so next question is anybody got a set of wheels & snow tyres going - I need some for my new purchase
You might never need them again with all this climate change malarky - 18 degrees locally predicted tomorrow :shock:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:14 am

Hi Tony
I have all season M&S tyres on the Jeep, but I still change for proper winter tyres on another set of wheels. The grip on the winters is better when the temperature really drops. Both cars get winter tyres on from November.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:33 pm

cptsideways wrote:We might have done it in a Mazda2 on Toyo Snowproxes earlier in the year cough whilst the road was closed cough Just drove up & down all the ice & snow like it wasn't there :) Can't beat decent snow tyres :twisted:

Bad cough that. :roll:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:02 am

Lovely snow scene, must be great having snow tyres in snow where you get the benefits. Must make you feel a lot safer. 8)
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:23 am

15C in Sussex, nearly Xmas: had Avon Ice Tourers on our 4WD for 4 years, not needed them once :( :( (Although they are great tyres in any weather).

However, heading up to Leeds for Xmas: it has been known to snow a bit up there. :D

Derek
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Could have done with some in Dec 2009!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:15C in Sussex, nearly Xmas: had Avon Ice Tourers on our 4WD for 4 years, not needed them once :( :( (Although they are great tyres in any weather).

However, heading up to Leeds for Xmas: it has been known to snow a bit up there. :D

Derek
Ha yes just up the road from you here. Blowy and a bit cooler at 11C today, a little cooler than the last week which has been very strangely mild as you say.

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”