microwave and inverter for my bongo

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

chrisb57
Junior Bongonaut

microwave and inverter for my bongo

Post by chrisb57 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi chaps just bought my first bongo last week, I spent 4nights in it whilst at work. I live in York and travel to widnes. It's cheaper than bed and breakfast. I have bought a 2000watt inverter and microwave combo, guaranteed to work. My problem is the supplied cable is only 0.5 meter long I'm going to need at least 2 meter at least to reach the back of my seat from the leisure battery to my gas hob were I'm planning on sitting the microwave. Does anyone else use on and if so what's size cable do I need thanks for you're time.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: microwave and inverter for my bongo

Post by Gasy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 pm

Think it's best to just use the 12v cable length supplied ( fit the inverta as close to battery as poss)
It should fit under / above the glove box fixed to the metal rail there
And then use a 240v extension lead to put 240v into back where you want it
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:14 pm

If it takes 2000 Watts=2Kw that is going to be a current from the LB of 2000/12=167 Amps .....
If its a 100AmpHr battery then it will last just a few minutes before being a dead LB ;-)
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
chrisb57
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chrisb57 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks for the replies, it's only got a half meter cable supplied. I'm
The microwave has a peak power input off 1150 watts but I doubled the output wattage of the inverter because on startup it can draw double that potentially. My leisure battery is the largest Halfords supply it's a 115ah leisure battery.
The inverter is big I would struggle to put it in the glovebox, am I under batteried I was going to run the engine whilst using the microwave. Am I in need of a second LB.
Does anyone else use a microwave in their bongo not on hook up.
Thanks
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:53 pm

As said, keep the low volatge cable as short as possible - even drill new holes through the bulkhead to keep it as short as possible. Then extend the mains 240 cable with a regular extension cable. Do NOT be tempted to extend the 12v cable.

Low voltage travels much less efficiently than high voltage. It's why power cables are 10's of thousands of volts - so it can travel far. In the olden days the 1st domestic power lines were low voltage (like 12volts) but would only reach a few houses from each power distribution unit. That's why they switched to 240 volts.

Long 12v cable = power loss (and heat if the cable is not thick enough). For your needs you'd need a massive cable to extend your 12v leads another 2 metres.

People are referring to putting the inverter behind the glove box, not in it.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
chrisb57
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chrisb57 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Ok I'm with you on that, I'm no DIY drill holes in bulkhead kinda person :)
I reckon I'm gonna need an auto electrician to get me sorted.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Do you really need a uWave ? I don't know of anyone with a Bongo who uses one from the battery, possibly there might be some who use one on EHU but haven't personally met them yet!

A small twin gas hob unit is normally enough for people.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Here's where we have one of the 300w inverters fitted under the glove box on our Bongo:-

For the 100 amps or so you are drawing, you'll need a very hefty 12 volt cable, like the sort that goes to the starter motor.
Even with the engine running, you'll still be draining the leisure battery given the alternator puts out a little less than 100 amps.
Might be cheaper to get a lower powered microwave.

You probably know this but you have to take care with inverters. 240 volts can be lethal, whether it's from the mains or from your LB and, as an earth is impractical, you have to make sure what you plug in is in good order. The earth breakers you can use in the home to protect yourself won't work in a vehicle.

Good luck with what you're doing. I'd love a microwave in our Bongo but our inverter isn't big enough.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi, I'm afraid that your very miss guided about what you intend to do. I'm an ex electrical mechanical engineer & I have also worked as a motor home technician. I would never attempt or advise anyone to do or what you are trying to do. The current your trying to draw from your leisure battery will be high and if you don't use the correct rating of cable you will have the potential to melt wires, blow fuses or even cause an electrical fire.
If you really want to run a microwave get you're self a generator it would be a lot safer. Effectively you are going to try and get over kilowatt of power out of a 115 amp hour battery. 1000w divided by 12v equals 83 amps. Your going to flaten the battery in minutes and need seriously thick cables.
Take my advise and find an alternative way to cook, or get a petrol geny.
Be safe, not ill informed.
Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:43 pm

I also think that stepping 12v to 240v via an inverter is going to waste a huge amount of power. You would be better off buying a dedicated 12v microwave which has a built-in inverter which is properly matched to the size of the unit. Even then, you would be advised to run the engine whilst cooking. The WaveBox is one of the better and less expensive models: http://12vmicrowave.com/
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:26 am

Hi
I sincerely hope you'll listen to the advice, and not try using a microwave and HUGE inverter. Inverters that size are for boats with a bank of VERY large capacity heavy duty batteries backed up with a generator. When we run the emergency backup genny, I wouldn't use a microwave on it unless it was only running small equipment, and we'd normally run 3 freezers, a fridge, home entertainment, 'puters and lighting, but if using a microwave, we'd pull a few of the freezers off line....Attempting an inverter that size off a little 110 amp leisure battery and using a large microwave is like sticking a lump of metal across the terminals and waiting for the bang!....Please try and use a small hob / grill, and use a microwave at work!
There are a few people over the years who have used the Bongo as a B&B whilst at work, so it can be done, and a couple of folk have lived in one for months on end, so anything's possible!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:05 am

I agree with the above.
You need a 12v microwave, the 240v one will just flatten the battery if the inverter even runs.
Why a microwave? I would just eat out or at work.
How are you going to heat the Bongo?
chrisb57
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chrisb57 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:08 am

I appreciate all the comments,and will keep the microwave as a spare and send back the inverter.
The Bongo has a night heater in the back I tried running it but it would not kick in, it just turned off after 45 secs or so. It did work with the engine running, I was hoping it would run by itself another problem.
I'm basically working down Widnes for 5days at a time and staying in a carpark obviously with no electric hook up.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 am

You need a Carbon monoxide alarm.
why not look for a cheap camp site near by? or look for a storage place with a hook up?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:46 am

Hi
With spring / summer coming up, you might do well to use a winter sleeping bag which has a high rating, and for sitting inside, just cook inside....If it's a long-term situation, you could save for an Eberspacher diesel heater, or I prefer the Propex gas heater.
Good luck!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”