Bike rack storage box

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

JohnD
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bike rack storage box

Post by JohnD » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Yippeee, found the solution to my drive away awning dilemma – which is, if I take the awning on a trip and don’t want to use it for a one night stay I have too, as if I don’t I haven’t got room to pull the bed out!

I have a Fiamma bike rack rated to a max weight of 60kilo and my Outwell Paradise Road awning weighs 19kilo… Solution, fix a storage box onto the bike rack.

Question, what is the best box to use please (without paying £300plus for a Fiamma one)? Ideally it would be handy to stick chairs, leads etc into the box as well so as big as possible would be useful.

Has anybody done similar and happy to give some advice please?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Bike rack storage box

Post by helen&tony » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi
Here you are:
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... iUJRlw.jpg
It's a Fiamma accessory
Just the jobbie
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
JohnD
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JohnD » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Thank you Helen,

Yes, seen those on the Fiamma website but wasn't sure about security or how waterproof they would be?

John
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Hi John
There are lockable rack boxes available to do the same thing, but they add to the weight. Regarding water-proofing, I get the same problem with a trailer, but I wrap everything in binbags, & seal them with tape. Security...well, it's only whilst you're sleeping on a stopover, and there's often a loop on a good alarm system, where you can wrap a wire round cargo, and if broken, it'll sound off!....no tealeaf will hang around!...especially with a bulky awning!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”