Bought A Teardrop Camper

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Bought A Teardrop Camper

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:26 am

As an addition to the Bongo, we have purchased a teardrop camper, as somewhere more comfy to sleep.

When collected it was basically a shell, uninsulated.

So the insulation work has started. 25mm Celotex bonded to the aluminium skin using PU adhesive, had to stop with a single sheet left to pop in as it was getting a little cramped & one wrong move resulted in the whole lot crashing down around me like some kind of crazed domino rally.

The Celotex was slotted on the back face to enable it to form to the inside curvature of the teardrop.

The next stage is to carpet, then get some flexy ply & line the roof, covering in carpet.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bought A Teardrop Camper

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:38 am

Look great. :D
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 am

That looks great. I really look forward t seeing the finished article. Remember to fit a vapor barrier between the ply and the insulation before you line. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:40 pm

What a neat looking thing. What do those cost then?
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:55 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:What a neat looking thing. What do those cost then?
Was on ebay for £1750 buy it now, offered £1500, which was accepted. I'd guess £350-400 to fit it out.
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:57 pm

between 5 and 9 grand new mike but thats kitted out already so good price there at 1500
mike, jo and emma
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Mark Elvin wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:What a neat looking thing. What do those cost then?
Was on ebay for £1750 buy it now, offered £1500, which was accepted. I'd guess £350-400 to fit it out.
Nice deal that, should make a great little home :-)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:29 pm

dreamwarrioruk wrote:between 5 and 9 grand new mike but thats kitted out already so good price there at 1500
Yes I looked on fleabay, some really stupid prices from have-a-go make and sell people there. Simple thing to make once you have a few skills and a bit of equipment - I have neither ha ha!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 pm

I occasionally wonder about a folding caravan. Anybody had any experience of them?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Ha...
Strange co-incidence, this thread....we have been looking at small caravans this last week....rather smitten with the Go Pod : http://www.go-pods.co.uk/ We may re-locate if we sell here, and they would be ideal to tow behind the Bongo....we were going to retire the Bongo, and get another vehicle, but Tony knows how much I like the Bongo...so it's a reprieve and get a mini-caravan, as he doesn't want another large one after the hassles getting here :roll: ...we looked at folding caravans, folding campers, and all sorts...but all we need is sleeping arrangements for a few weeks, and thousands of miles!...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 am

The work on the TD carries on at a pace, when I returned from work yesterday I carpeted the floor. They are only cheap, self adhesive tiles from Ebay, but the seam OK for the money, even if a little irregular in shape, requiring much trimming during fitting to ensure even joint lines.

The end needs finishing, but I'll wait until the floor baton the retains the roof panels is fitted before laying that part.

The porthole window is perfectly concentric in it's surround by the way, looks awful in the photo however :shock:

There's also currently a debate between the wife & I about the bulkhead. She likes the sparkly laminate, I want to carpet in in light grey to match the colour the roof will be.

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 am

mikeonb4c wrote:I occasionally wonder about a folding caravan. Anybody had any experience of them?
Due to rarity they tend to go for high prices compared to 'Regular' caravans.

Check out caravan storage, it works out far less than I thought, then you could have a full size jobby for less money.

Also doesn't advertise when you are away.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:53 am

Hi
Bob...
You're right on the money regarding people noticing a caravan missing off your property...even loading the car with camping gear can be an indicator...My Aunt was burgled just after she was seen loading cases into a taxi, and the police reckoned it was someone who'd been watching.....it just shows how we have to be conscious of these things...sad world!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:43 am

Managed a little more progress last night.

There are some unsightly bolts holding the mudguards on, so these had to be covered as in my opinion they look sore.

Off the B&Q to buy some very small height skirting, routed out two slots to clear the bolt tails, job done.

The skirting will be covered in camper van lining carpet one the ceiling panels are in once I'm 100% happy with the fit.

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:05 am

Bob wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I occasionally wonder about a folding caravan. Anybody had any experience of them?
Due to rarity they tend to go for high prices compared to 'Regular' caravans.

Check out caravan storage, it works out far less than I thought, then you could have a full size jobby for less money.

Also doesn't advertise when you are away.
Looking good Mark.

Good advice Bob, hadn't put my lateral thinking hat on. Folding caravans on ebay didn't look stupidly expensive but I wonder if they require more TLC than a conventional caravan. I'd be hoping to keep it in the garage so not so obvious if we're away, but then again the garage would be u/s as a workshop if I did that so......its only a pipe dream anyway.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”