Carpet Dye

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

cookan
Bongolier

Carpet Dye

Post by cookan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 am

anyone got any experience to know how much carpet dye is needed to pretty up an old 1995 carpet ? Allans Vehicle Services suggests Autosmart Midnight on his website but wasn't sure if 1L-2L was sufficient to make a dent or not...don't want to spend 40 quid on 5L if 2L would be enough !

thanks,
Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Carpet Dye

Post by helen&tony » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:56 am

Hi
I used 3/4 gallon on mine!...it also gives you a bit of spare for fading.
It takes 2 coats to get a reasonable finish, 3 in some areas, as the carpets are different textures in different areas, or so it seemed!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks Helen, so 5L it is !

any tips on application ? did you just use a spray bottle ?

.I have the rear carpet out atm as the van's in the shop for the wheel arches so wanted to do a few things whilst it's in pieces anyway..will take a look at how to get the front carpets out when I get her back. Also got to re-apply the foam backing and put some new felt underlay on as I dried the carpet out in the potting shed and the original glue turned into not-glue and all the bits fell off ! Hope I can figure out which way they went back on otherwise I'll be posting for a picture of the back of someones carpet ;-)

thanks,
Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 am

helen&tony wrote:I used 3/4 gallon on mine!
Gallons in Bulgaria, Helen?

How many Ducats did that cost?

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 am

Hi
Frank
No gallons here...I imported it! :lol: ...BUT...although everything is metric, they still use imperial for water-pipe fittings...I don't think water-supply technology ever got this far :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and DON'T think I'm joking...only 50 years ago, they got water from the village well in containers!
Cookan....
I used a selection of disposable brushes...and latex gloves!....
I shouldn't say this, but I have dyed a car carpet with blackboard paint and matt black paint in the past...the carpet looks good, but a bit crispy until it's been walked on a bit!...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Fri May 01, 2015 6:16 pm

photo doesn't do it justice but after a serious vacuum followed by 12 sessions with the VAX using valet grade cleaner in the VAX as well as to spot treat (spot, as in the whole thing!) then 3 coats of Midnight black it looks excellent !

out with the front seats and carpets tomorrow and it's back to bare metal inside for a decent clean.

After all of that btw...the vacuum and brush are still bringing sand to the surface...but I give in now..at least on that bit of carpet ;-)

Ant.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri May 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Looking good Ant! The smell goes after a few days. ;)
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Fri May 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Dyed mine about 15 months ago used supplied spray bottle and a small brush for parts near trim areas to reduce over spray (dyed mine with carpets in place) .
I also spayed with Scotch Guard once dry, still looks OK could do with a bit of touching up in the more used floor areas
like Helen used about 3/4 of the 5 litre container so still have 1/4 left to do the touching up.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Fri May 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Doone wrote:Looking good Ant! The smell goes after a few days. ;)
thanks! Don't tell the missus, carpets won't be in for a few days yet...Got jobs to do :-) New arches done so plan to waxoyl whilst I have the sidellining out (assuming I can find some waxoyl tomorrow am!) Then there's the front carpets makeover plus vaxing of the seats, USB socket in the back for the kids, second layer of mirror film on one of the side Windows to hide the contents of the pantry, then refitting everything....smell will have long gone by that time ! But it'll be nice to know 20 years of grime under the carpets and behind 'the trim is no longer...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat May 02, 2015 4:13 am

Hi
I used a steam cleaner for upholstery, and for trim panels, then a wet'n'dry vacuum is handy afterwards . I just do it on a hot day and leave the doors wide open. For carpets, I use a pressure-washer , and leave them in the sun...I cleaned ours that way before using dye...ours are still good after a few years.
Cheers
Helen
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat May 02, 2015 10:14 am

I have a valeting machine and gave up with the carpet, took it out sprayed it with Autosmart G101 and jet washed it, came up like new
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Sat May 02, 2015 11:14 am

Used a Bissell cleaner to clean mine (like a mini rug doctor :!: )
I always seem to do damage when I use a jet wash :oops:
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Sat May 02, 2015 11:44 am

these next....

Ant.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat May 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Hi Ant...
Jet wash them!...If you haven't got one, take them to the local carwash guys!
Cheers
Helen
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Sat May 02, 2015 12:19 pm

i've started now ;-) found that banging them is 100 times more efficient than the Dyson actually...all the sand fell out whereas with the dyson, the suction tends to pull the pile together and just trap the sand in..even brushing with a stiff brush wasn't releasing as much sand as banging the living daylights out of them ! ....valet liquid next up...

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”