ANOTHER tyre thread

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

meek.tv
Bongolier

ANOTHER tyre thread

Post by meek.tv » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:46 am

What size would you recommend for 16 inch wheels if they are staggered 7j front and 8j rear?
This is for a 4wd so I need to keep the rolling diameter the same, does rim width effect the tyre diameter?
.......... cycling more.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: ANOTHER tyre thread

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:13 am

Hi
The idea of wide tyres on the back, narrow on the front has that nice "Hot-rod" look...ideally MUCH bigger on the rear...unfortunately not possible with the sliding door, as you'd need wider arches for super-wide wheels, but your width may fit O.K.
With wider wheels on a 4x4 Bongo, you have another issue...damage to the viscous coupling, as with a larger tyre width for the wider wheels, there will be more resistance with more tread width on the road...albeit a small difference, but apparently the VC is very fussy about the smallest difference. As the 4x4 Bongo is in 2 wheel drive most of the time, your scenario may make little difference, but when the VC does "lock", the difference may cause problems in a cumulative way. I would try to get matching wheels
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
meek.tv
Bongolier

Re: ANOTHER tyre thread

Post by meek.tv » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 am

A swift ebayer has put me out of my misery and bought them already
.......... cycling more.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”