External improvements - lots of questions

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Ignis
Bongonaut

External improvements - lots of questions

Post by Ignis » Mon May 11, 2015 10:44 pm

Now that we've done our first France tour in our recently bought Bongo we're seriously thinking of the following.

1. Roof racks and box. We have an opening roof with fitted skylight and vent, but I still think that roofbox may not be a bad idea. Two issues bother me: how much more fuel will my Bongo consume? And how will I get up to there? On the positive side, I really hope I'll be able to declutter the inside, as too much stuff goes in there... Would a plastic or fabric box work better? Or should I forget this idea?

2. Bike rear rack for two bikes. Which one?

3. Awning: drive-away or pull-out one?

Any ideas/comments/recommendations are appreciated!
silage
Bongolier

Re: External improvements - lots of questions

Post by silage » Tue May 12, 2015 7:48 am

Easy and cheapest answer.............take less stuff! :D ............fuel on the Bongo is poor anyway, slim down to racing snake size nipper :lol:
" The harder you work, the richer you die"
97 4WD 2.5 TD
G0JZW
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue May 12, 2015 9:04 am

silage wrote:Easy and cheapest answer.............take less stuff! :D ............fuel on the Bongo is poor anyway, slim down to racing snake size nipper :lol:
:D :D Say it to my wife about taking less stuff please! :roll:
Spencer54
Bongolier

Post by Spencer54 » Tue May 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Get the bike rack by Fiamma and then you can use it to carry a back box.
Depending on your budget you can either buy the Fiamma one or get an ex military Laycorn box.

One is £300 other is £50

Two birds one stone :)
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue May 12, 2015 5:13 pm

I think drive away awnings are better for having a base to return to at night
Store stuff hence de cluttering bongo when on holiday as you can go out for the day and leave bedding chairs etc in awning

But wind out will be better for wild camping / 1 nights top touring holidays

Some people have a box on there towbars
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 12, 2015 6:48 pm

Ignis wrote:Now that we've done our first France tour in our recently bought Bongo we're seriously thinking of the following.

1. Roof racks and box. We have an opening roof with fitted skylight and vent, but I still think that roofbox may not be a bad idea. Two issues bother me: how much more fuel will my Bongo consume? And how will I get up to there? On the positive side, I really hope I'll be able to declutter the inside, as too much stuff goes in there... Would a plastic or fabric box work better? Or should I forget this idea?

2. Bike rear rack for two bikes. Which one?

3. Awning: drive-away or pull-out one?

Any ideas/comments/recommendations are appreciated!
Less drag if load carried behind tailgate than on the roof. Is yours a tintop or an AFT (or aftermarket lifting roof). I recall one person fitting a roof box to a tintop and positioning so they could reach through the opening Sun roof, open the roof box and put stuff in/take stuff out from inside the Bongo.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue May 12, 2015 7:03 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Less drag if load carried behind tailgate than on the roof. Is yours a tintop or an AFT (or aftermarket lifting roof). I recall one person fitting a roof box to a tintop and positioning so they could reach through the opening Sun roof, open the roof box and put stuff in/take stuff out from inside the Bongo.
mine is AFT and unfortunately our skylight cannot be open fully - an old-style one.

Yes, probably, I'll have to fit something behind tailgate, though I hate the idea that the car will be even longer than now..
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue May 12, 2015 7:04 pm

Gasy wrote:I think drive away awnings are better for having a base to return to at night
Store stuff hence de cluttering bongo when on holiday as you can go out for the day and leave bedding chairs etc in awning

Thank you. Probably you are right about drive-away awnings, they seem to be more versatile. Hope that with practice it won't take too long to set them up.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Tue May 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Spencer54 wrote:Get the bike rack by Fiamma and then you can use it to carry a back box.
Depending on your budget you can either buy the Fiamma one or get an ex military Laycorn box.

One is £300 other is £50

You would not know the exact model of those Fiamma racks please, would you? Seems like there are quite a few of them, but no mention of Bongos on their website.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Ignis wrote:
Gasy wrote:I think drive away awnings are better for having a base to return to at night

Thank you. Probably you are right about drive-away awnings, they seem to be more versatile. Hope that with practice it won't take too long to set them up.
Gasy is right, and for what you'd end up spending sorting out roof box /back box you could get a Khyam Motordome 2nd hand off ebay good condition for £250 with luck, and they go up very quickly ( bit like an umbrella) and handle extreme weather very well. Even quicker is a Quecha pop up tent but then it doesn't 'seal' on to the Bongo to provide a dry enclosure and learning how to put it away is something that takes more practice than a Khyam Motordome. :roll:
Spencer54
Bongolier

Post by Spencer54 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:40 pm

Ignis wrote:
Spencer54 wrote:Get the bike rack by Fiamma and then you can use it to carry a back box.

One is £300 other is £50

You would not know the exact model of those Fiamma racks please, would you? Seems like there are quite a few of them, but no mention of Bongos on their website.
I think its the Fiamma 935

Simon is your boy for this, he has the Altea Strada I believe and the following - which if budget is no problem undoubtedly the best solution.
No weight on the tailgate, all on the ball hitch.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed May 13, 2015 6:51 pm

It's a good rack and works well with the Thule Backup box (with a few modifications):

philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Thu May 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Nice set up Simon,does the weight of 3 bikes or a full box affect handling much?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu May 14, 2015 6:39 pm

The tow bars will only take a max of 85kg
So it's only like having a bloke standing on the back
Doubt it's to bad to worry about
Think Simon has those airbags inside to rear springs which would help
But if you don't go over 85kg should be no prob
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu May 14, 2015 7:24 pm

I've got rear spring assistors which help to stiffen the rear end up a bit. We tend to try to keep the weight fairly low in the box so it tends to be things like sleeping bags, groundsheet, levelling blocks rather than bags of clothes or awning. You need a good sturdy towbar like the one from A1 which I believe Ian sells in the club shop. I've also made a small bracing piece that connects to the rear ladder to help stabilise it and reduce any 'bounce'.

This was the mk1 version using modified Thule Easy base and a cut down Kari Tek sliding roof bar system. It worked ok but was a bit to bulky for my liking.

It could left in the extended position if you wanted to keep the tailgate open.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”