lowered suspension

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ignis
Bongonaut

lowered suspension

Post by Ignis » Tue May 19, 2015 6:28 pm

jumping fro one part of the forum to another as learning more about my recently bought bongo...

I have an issue with my suspension, as it seems to have been lowered recently. The mechanics say it is all almost brand new, but the down-side is that it is seem significantly lower than an average Bongo (but it is just my guess). All the speed bumps in the city are mine, I constantly scratch the bottom and the front bumper. Really annoying and disappointing. Today, in the garage they managed to increase the front part for an inch or so (which helped slightly as I could see on my way back from the garage), but they cannot adjust rear bits, so new ones need to go in.

The question is whether scratching the car bottom is a common issue with Bongos and so whether changing the rear springs etc can help at all. They are not cheap (parts only around £440...), so have to think carefully.

Thank you for your comments/recommendations.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: lowered suspension

Post by Gasy » Tue May 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Sounds like yours has been lowered
There's someone on here who has been after a set of lowering springs
Carnt remember name at mo tho
You would be able to sell them /swap them with someone for a standard set
Put a pic up sounds like yours has been lowered real low if you grounding out

Used to lower our air cooled vw 's years ago
We got a vw square back so low it woundnt go over a coke can laying sidewards
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue May 19, 2015 6:57 pm

Puma931 was after a set of lowering springs etc
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:34 am

Can you tell me the space between the top of the tyre and wheel arch (both F & R), as I might be interested in them. Do you have any pictures, and are they custom springs or originals that have been cut down?

I found a place that will make springs (60mm drop) at a cost of £45 each + VAT and P&P and I am sure they could make other sizes including standard if required.
Ignis wrote:jumping fro one part of the forum to another as learning more about my recently bought bongo...

I have an issue with my suspension, as it seems to have been lowered recently. The mechanics say it is all almost brand new, but the down-side is that it is seem significantly lower than an average Bongo (but it is just my guess). All the speed bumps in the city are mine, I constantly scratch the bottom and the front bumper. Really annoying and disappointing. Today, in the garage they managed to increase the front part for an inch or so (which helped slightly as I could see on my way back from the garage), but they cannot adjust rear bits, so new ones need to go in.

The question is whether scratching the car bottom is a common issue with Bongos and so whether changing the rear springs etc can help at all. They are not cheap (parts only around £440...), so have to think carefully.

Thank you for your comments/recommendations.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Puma931 wrote:Can you tell me the space between the top of the tyre and wheel arch (both F & R), as I might be interested in them. Do you have any pictures, and are they custom springs or originals that have been cut down?

I found a place that will make springs (60mm drop) at a cost of £45 each + VAT and P&P and I am sure they could make other sizes including standard if required.
Hi,
These are the pictures of the wheels. The space between the top of the tyre and wheel arch is between 4 and 6cm at rear and 7-8cm at front (this after adjusting the springs for 1in).

Unfortunately, I have no idea whether they are custom or originals. Mechanics said that they are all new, but that's it.

Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu May 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Looking nice dumped down like that tho
Got any pics full side on
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Thu May 21, 2015 9:15 pm

If you do decide to get rid of the springs I'd be interested in having them off you.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Mon May 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Mark Elvin wrote:If you do decide to get rid of the springs I'd be interested in having them off you.
I am actually considering to change the rear ones as I like when a car is higher. Or would you be only interested in the whole set?
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Thu May 28, 2015 1:44 am

What you need to know is the standard spring rate, you can then calculate the spring rate of the shorter spring, and you only need a few measurements to do this.
You do need to keep the front to rear rates close to the standard as a percentage as possible.
http://www.reliablespring.co.uk/calculator.htm
:wink:

To infinity and beyond
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:16 pm

I have finally changed my rear springs - it feels so much nicer now!!

If anyone is after shorter rear springs happy to sell them. I am going to attend Bongo Bash (Sat/Sun morning) and can take them with me.

Return to “Techie Stuff”