Reversing camera

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

sotal
Supreme Being

Reversing camera

Post by sotal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:53 pm

One more question for tonight...!

Has anyone fitted a reversing camera? If so what type did you go for - where did it fit, what did you connect it to?

Thanks
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Reversing camera

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 am

sotal wrote:One more question for tonight...!

Has anyone fitted a reversing camera? If so what type did you go for - where did it fit, what did you connect it to?

Thanks
Been done by many. Neatest I'm aware of had camera fitted in spoiler, camera looking down and back. Display unit was a double DIN unit on the dash that also played DVDs, had radio etc.

Personally I just fitted a pair of wired in reversing sensors for £14 off ebay and that seems to work fine for me (didn't need 4 as my towbar and mounted step are my middle two sensors :lol: The reversing mirror is also effective esp for monitoring the middle section of the bumper.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:21 am

Fitted several over the years the cheap cameras on Ebay are effective
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Car-Rear- ... 4ab4bc31b3
Currently using that style, with the cable brought out under the high level break light, and cabled back to a display in the front.
Make sure you get a PAL version and not an NTSC otherwise the display might not be happy!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Britdragon
Bongonaut

Post by Britdragon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I got a car single din stereo which could play dvds, has a TV tuner etc, that the screen comes out from. I fitted a camera in the rear bumper and got power locally for it. The stereo has an input that you connect to from when reverse is selected, so as soon as you put it in reverse the screen comes out and switches to the camera. I got it all from ebay about 5 years ago. The camera is not coming on at the mo, I don't think it is much, probably corroded jack plug. Well recommend. If you need more info I will take my stereo out to get details. As I am sure there is a newer better version. All came from China
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks for the replies - I'm hoping to put a double din stereo/satnav/video etc player in.

I think I'll go for just a cheapy - is it easy to feed a wire through for a hardwired camera? I take it you go through the boot hinge, then down the drivers side?
Britdragon
Bongonaut

Post by Britdragon » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:47 pm

I fitted mine in the middle of the bumper, so across to the side from underneath, then along side panel above, back across behind front seat, along past gear lever and bobs your uncle
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:28 pm

sotal wrote:is it easy to feed a wire through for a hardwired camera? I take it you go through the boot hinge, then down the drivers side?
That's the route I used not that difficult, helps to use a mouse for some corners.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ahead
Bongonaut

Post by Ahead » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:10 pm

Have a search on EBay for rear view mirror monitor. I went for the slimmer model which clips neatly over the standard rear view mirror. Works well. Reversing cameras are especially good at night if you go for a camera with IR light. In the day I can park to within 1/2" too. The mirror monitors are only around £15 from China.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm going to go with just a cheap wired camera.

I've just put the original stereo back in the car we are getting rid of, and the one that has come out has a little screen and can play DVDs (it is just a single DIN) - it isn't very good but should do to start with and then I'll upgrade it to a double din when we have some spare pennies!

My biggest concern is where to mount the camera in the neatest way. I'm not sure whether to go high up pointing down, or above the number plate.

Could the camera fix in place where the mirror fixes on the rear? I don't mind taking the mirror off if I'm putting a camera in its place. The one I am buying has a spoiler at the top of the rear door.
spud350
Bongolier

Post by spud350 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:17 pm

This is where I put mine. Made a small bracket to pick up on the 2 bolts under there. Went for the wireless with power from the side lights. I don't need anything to help me reverse but I do tow a trailer and motorbike and like to know if it's fallen off when driving along so couldn't wire it to the reversing light for obvious reasons. :shock:

winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:49 pm

I mad a console for the 7" screen, will be ok one covered in fabric

The cameras under the rear spoiler
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi
'Scuse the dirty Bongo / photo, but the rear view mirror automatically switches to a TV screen when reverse is engaged, and shows a view from the rear-view cam just under the spoiler. I think the number-plate mount would be better. The other screen is for a forward-view cam for continental driving (I live in Europe)...telephoto / wide angle / focusing. It was foot-switch operated, but it's now a full-time cam.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:29 pm

I must own up I stole the idea from Helen!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:47 am

Hi
No stealing involved...It's a most logical place...and an easy fit....It was just as hard squeezing wires for the rear-view mirror/ screen....to be fair, it took longer thinking about it rather than doing it, and waiting 'till summer time to do the moulding...
Did you get around to re-fitting the interior lamp....I was driving around with mine under the seat for a while :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:14 am

Yes I did, its fitted underneath just cut a hols the same as was in the roof and it clips in, I replaced the bulbs wit two LEDs much brighter

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”