Reversing camera

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Reversing camera

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:19 am

Surely a look down position is better for judging proximity to cars and obstacles when reversing? Do you lose your rear view mirror with those mirror mounted monitors?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:39 am

Hi
Mike...
It IS a mirror...it just turns into a screen when a signal is applied!, otherwise it functions as a mirror...The 2nd screen is merely for overtaking, and not always needed.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:00 am

I've always preferred high level mounting as with the height you can see the distance directly as its more of a "plan" view rather then trying to judge the distance from movement.

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 am

Hi
Geoff...
That's where mine is, but I need to upgrade the camera. Where did you get yours?....I got my internal cam from America...A bit pricey :roll:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:20 am

I've gone thru several cameras, I like the bullet ones myself, but much more difficult to get hold of now, using one like this at present,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Car-12V- ... 20fd93c505
but have also bought a much more rugged one as it started playing up but turned out to be the co-ax power socket that was the problem the central pin was making good contact, so I have the replacement tucked away in the van for when it does finally give up!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:45 pm

g8dhe wrote:I've gone thru several cameras, I like the bullet ones myself, but much more difficult to get hold of now, using one like this at present,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Car-12V- ... 20fd93c505
but have also bought a much more rugged one as it started playing up but turned out to be the co-ax power socket that was the problem the central pin was making good contact, so I have the replacement tucked away in the van for when it does finally give up!
Jeebers Geoff, the one in the pic looks more like one of those high powered anti-aircraft lasers they've been testing by mounting them on 747s. Are you planning to avoid the car behind or just vaporise it (now there IS a thought) :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:48 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike...
It IS a mirror...it just turns into a screen when a signal is applied!, otherwise it functions as a mirror...The 2nd screen is merely for overtaking, and not always needed.
Cheers
Helen
Helen. you is well cunning wiv da mirror fing innit =D>
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:26 pm

I did put a small laser in one of those cases for comm's links many years ago it was 3w IR one as I recall! 12 mile range no problem, but alignment was um "fiddly" it being mounted on my aerial mast which has Az/El control but not really fine enough for the job!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:01 pm

g8dhe wrote:I did put a small laser in one of those cases for comm's links many years ago it was 3w IR one as I recall! 12 mile range no problem, but alignment was um "fiddly" it being mounted on my aerial mast which has Az/El control but not really fine enough for the job!
Noooo #-o When Helen sees that, next thing you know she'll be fitting one to her Bongo :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:20 pm

Oh a radome on the Bongo is easy for the aerials;
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 pm

g8dhe wrote:Oh a radome on the Bongo is easy for the aerials;
Ohhhhhhh yes, now that I like - a Bongo with balls :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:31 am

Hi
Geoff...
Yes, I like the bullet cams...As I said, the one in the front has focusing and zoom, and all bells and whistles...I need it for overtaking, and the only place I could find a telephoto or zoom was America, but Tony says (quite rightly), don't put anything too desirable on the back or someone might well 'oist it... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Perhaps I might consider putting it inside???....but I have factory black glass (C/O Bongospares) With film tint, it's easy to cut a hole in the tint! Meanwhile, thanks for the tip on the cam. Is it any good in comparison to others, as it looks similar to my current one?
Cheers
Helen
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:35 am

On all our previous vehicles I had the cameras inside, but the Bongo rear door doesn't lend itself to well for that, but there is a rear CarCam now dead centre so if anyone nicks the external camera I will have them full frame :-) It also runs 24/7 1 frame per second so doesn't require any shock or vibration to trigger it :-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi Geoff
Kool :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi Mike
Lazer....mmmm now there's an idea!...lazer sighted rear-mounted missile ...(great for tailgaters)...with a capsule of grinding paste and old engine oil bursting onto the windscreen....when they turn the wipers on....instant frosted glass!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”