Got bongo!! Now need to fit kayaks on roof somehow!

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

Toni321
Junior Bongonaut

Got bongo!! Now need to fit kayaks on roof somehow!

Post by Toni321 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:03 am

Just purchased a bongo for the first time & drove it yesterday ! Fantastic drive, not picked it up from seller yet tho.......

It's a 1998 2.5 d 2wd with a JAL mushroom roof.... Kids gonna love it thanks for all the replies I got over past few weeks in advice regarding dealers etc much appreciated

I am now looking to purchase a roof rack system for some kayaks to go on top, I've seen a few posts, Simons included, regarding the Kari tek LRR. My problem may be the depth of the mushroom roof & whether this type of setup would work. Once I pick up bongo I can work out the measurements etc...

Anyone out there have this type of system?

Cheers
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Re: Got bongo!! Now need to fit kayaks on roof somehow!

Post by Mark Elvin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:26 am

Toni321 wrote:Just purchased a bongo for the first time & drove it yesterday ! Fantastic drive, not picked it up from seller yet tho.......

It's a 1998 2.5 d 2wd with a JAL mushroom roof.... Kids gonna love it thanks for all the replies I got over past few weeks in advice regarding dealers etc much appreciated

I am now looking to purchase a roof rack system for some kayaks to go on top, I've seen a few posts, Simons included, regarding the Kari tek LRR. My problem may be the depth of the mushroom roof & whether this type of setup would work. Once I pick up bongo I can work out the measurements etc...

Anyone out there have this type of system?

Cheers
Can I ask where you got it from as you are in Bristol?
Last edited by Mark Elvin on Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:33 am

Congrats on the new Bongo. With regard JAL roof, I don't think they have any mounting points so you will need to fix the rack to the gutters which means you won't be able to raise the roof without removing the rack first :(.
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:43 am

Yep, i looked into this as mine will have a JAL mushroom. Looks like it is the gutter mounted rack I'm afraid.
Toni321
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Toni321 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:17 pm

Yes, having read some posts I will be looking to fit rack to gutters. Any recommendations on makes models etc.....
Cheers
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:15 pm

There's one of those Kari tec canoe roof racks
Just gone up on eBay
£5
Item number
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”