Filling and painting roof

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Filling and painting roof

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:42 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Remember that black absorbs heat more than any other colour and matt black is worse than gloss. Everything connected with that will have that much harder a time.
It had to say it crossed my mind when I saw hippy's (though his van is black afterall I guess), could get toasty in the summer. I am going to try and keep the same basic boring grey. These jobs always turn out more work that you initially think. Just a small area of spraying is now dictating my Bongo use over the next days as I don't want to re-mask and of course the moment I want to spray the wind picked up !

And I also notice surrounding chips/rust spots in the same area which means another day I will need to do some spot touch ups as well. Keeps us busy.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Been thinking about the spraying a bit. #-o

Going to be honest I am not keen on the finish from roller-ing. On the other hand not keen on the massive labour/logistics involved in 3 coats of spraying (sand, prime, top coat, lacquer) Primer leaves a rough grey surface, I wonder if that would be ok to just lacquer over or not without sanding, that would be a kind of textured coat. Anyone know?

It seems primer is just acrylic matt grey paint. Is that a fair assumption ? A silky smooth finish on the roof is not essential, I don't feel the desire to sand it down after the priming.

:?:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:05 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Been thinking about the spraying a bit. #-o

Going to be honest I am not keen on the finish from roller-ing. On the other hand not keen on the massive labour/logistics involved in 3 coats of spraying (sand, prime, top coat, lacquer) Primer leaves a rough grey surface, I wonder if that would be ok to just lacquer over or not without sanding, that would be a kind of textured coat. Anyone know?

It seems primer is just acrylic matt grey paint. Is that a fair assumption ? A silky smooth finish on the roof is not essential, I don't feel the desire to sand it down after the priming.

Primer and 2 pack lacquer would probably give you a perfectly acceptable and durable finish. Primer on its own is a no-no I think: too porous. A good 2 pack (gloss) lacquer should leave the finish looking wet high gloss with no need to wet and dry I reckon. See what Stuc says.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:41 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
BongoBongo123 wrote:Been thinking about the spraying a bit. #-o

Primer and 2 pack lacquer would probably give you a perfectly acceptable and durable finish. Primer on its own is a no-no I think: too porous. A good 2 pack (gloss) lacquer should leave the finish looking wet high gloss with no need to wet and dry I reckon. See what Stuc says.
That might be a bit pricey but I do understand the logic of what you are saying Mike. At leasta very decent quality normal lacquer I wonder if I can buy the Hicote "Body Shop" UV resistant lacquer more cheaply in bulk. I will investigate.

You can get the Hicote Bodyshop for £5.99 a can when bought in packs of 6. Will check for lower cost 2 pack options.

Have to watch out a bit buying "2K".... check the red print:

"ATTENTION PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS 2K LACQUER WITH AIR DRYING 1K CONVERTOR NOT CHEMICAL DRYING ACTIVATOR

AND IS NOT PETROL RESISTANT
"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB-Body-496-2 ... 9145&rt=nc
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:05 am

Before I proceed with the whole roof I will try and do a spot on the back of the roof to test the finish out.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”