European Road Trip !

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

martinc
Bongonaut

Re: European Road Trip !

Post by martinc » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:32 am

dvisor wrote:For Prague, we found this site to be ideal for us: http://www.pensioncampprague.com/. It cost 760.00 crowns per night (family of 4), which works out at about £20. We then took public transport in to the city. Very friendly site owners, who couldn't be more helpful.

Here are my notes about the public transport: "A 90 minute pass for the buses and trams can be purchased from the campsite at 32 Crowns (about 85 pence), half price for children under 15. The bus leaves from the end of the road, and 2 stops (or 3 minutes) later you are at the Metro station Opatov, where Line C takes you to the "Muzeum" stop near Wenceslas Square in 9 stops (17 minutes). On boarding the bus, you need to insert your ticket in the yellow machine to be stamped with the date and time. Your 90 minutes starts from this point. You need to catch the Metro in the direction of Letnany. When returning, you need to stamp your ticket at the entrance to the platform and catch a Line C Metro in the direction of Háje. The relevant buses taking you back to the campsite are 165, 326, 327 or 385. Ensure that you press the "Stop" button on the bus to warn the driver in advance that you wish to get off."

The weather wasn't brilliant when we were there, but if you are interested in the site, there's some dashcam footage at https://youtu.be/ba-6ighdlBA, showing the residential area around the site, and the campsite itself, which was literally someone's back garden.
That place looks nice how long did you stay ?, i have just downloaded the ACSI app with all maps . I also checked out that place on there and we might stop at that exact one , plus i loved to video of the dash cam very nice. Did you need to buy any extra toll tickets before you went to europe??
Martin
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:46 pm

martinc wrote:That place looks nice how long did you stay ?, i have just downloaded the ACSI app with all maps . I also checked out that place on there and we might stop at that exact one , plus i loved to video of the dash cam very nice. Did you need to buy any extra toll tickets before you went to europe??
Only two days, but would have liked to have stayed longer. ACSI have a couple of Apps in the store which appear to do similar things, and it's a bit confusing which one to get. The one I have is called "ACSI Campsites Europe" on Android, not the one called "CampingCard ACSI Campsites", which lists fewer sites, and only those that accept the ACSI CampingCard. As we travel during the height of the season the CampingCard doesn't really offer any benefit.

I haven't checked the prices recently, but last time we passed through Czech Republic a 10 day motorway vignette cost a little over €11, a 10 day Austria vignette cost €8,50, and an annual Swiss vignette around €40. You can sometimes get them cheaper by buying at a service station before the border, rather than at the border itself. Some roads in Hungary require a vignette, but you may be lucky - you may be able to avoid these roads when you go to Orségi National Park. If you pass through Slovenia on the way to Croatia, you may need a motorway vignette - a 7 day pass was around €15.

Best to Google each country you're visiting so you are aware of the different vignette options,and whether you need one. http://www.tolltickets.com/ has some useful information on each country, but I wouldn't actually purchase from them. Like I say, best to buy from a service station before hitting the border. Be careful you are not stung for currency conversions, if you do so, though - it's easily done when travelling between eurozone and countries with their own currency.

Generally speaking, I'm happy to pay the vignette prices to use their roads, its fair and much easier than faffing around with toll booths; but I begrudge having to pay for annual pass for Switzerland so I try to avoid it now.
Two tonne tin drum
martinc
Bongonaut

Post by martinc » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:21 pm

dvisor wrote:
martinc wrote:That place looks nice how long did you stay ?, i have just downloaded the ACSI app with all maps . I also checked out that place on there and we might stop at that exact one , plus i loved to video of the dash cam very nice. Did you need to buy any extra toll tickets before you went to europe??
Only two days, but would have liked to have stayed longer. ACSI have a couple of Apps in the store which appear to do similar things, and it's a bit confusing which one to get. The one I have is called "ACSI Campsites Europe" on Android, not the one called "CampingCard ACSI Campsites", which lists fewer sites, and only those that accept the ACSI CampingCard. As we travel during the height of the season the CampingCard doesn't really offer any benefit.

I haven't checked the prices recently, but last time we passed through Czech Republic a 10 day motorway vignette cost a little over €11, a 10 day Austria vignette cost €8,50, and an annual Swiss vignette around €40. You can sometimes get them cheaper by buying at a service station before the border, rather than at the border itself. Some roads in Hungary require a vignette, but you may be lucky - you may be able to avoid these roads when you go to Orségi National Park. If you pass through Slovenia on the way to Croatia, you may need a motorway vignette - a 7 day pass was around €15.

yeah i agree that a year pass is a bit to much really , however my hand may be forced as the wife wants to visit Switzerland . so you would recommend getting the vignettes when we are there and not before we leave??
lastly i have the fully paid up version of the ACSI app on android , so every campsite is listed however i was looking at the camping card as we will be over there in the beginning of September , and am i right in thinking that the close season is the end of august ??

cheers

Best to Google each country you're visiting so you are aware of the different vignette options,and whether you need one. http://www.tolltickets.com/ has some useful information on each country, but I wouldn't actually purchase from them. Like I say, best to buy from a service station before hitting the border. Be careful you are not stung for currency conversions, if you do so, though - it's easily done when travelling between eurozone and countries with their own currency.

Generally speaking, I'm happy to pay the vignette prices to use their roads, its fair and much easier than faffing around with toll booths; but I begrudge having to pay for annual pass for Switzerland so I try to avoid it now.
Martin
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:55 pm

yeah i agree that a year pass is a bit to much really , however my hand may be forced as the wife wants to visit Switzerland . so you would recommend getting the vignettes when we are there and not before we leave??
I like the flexibility of being able to change our plans at the drop of a hat, for example, heading in a different direction if the weather is bad. So I wouldn't buy in advance in case I never ended up passing through the country. Also, some passes are limited to say 3, 7 or 10 days, and I couldn't be sure I would reach the destination according to a schedule. Buying in advance isn't for me, and not really necessary - it's easy to get the passes out there (as long as you know you need them)
- but some might feel easier having everything already organized.
lastly i have the fully paid up version of the ACSI app on android , so every campsite is listed however i was looking at the camping card as we will be over there in the beginning of September , and am i right in thinking that the close season is the end of august ??
Yes, if you are going in September it could well be worth your while getting the CampingCard. We have managed to get a discount on the odd occasion at the very end of August in previous years, and you should be luckier in September. Remember, though, that not all ACSI listed sites participate in the discount scheme. For the sake of a tenner (if that's what it still is) I would definitely get one if travelling in September. You should get your money back pretty quickly. You also get the printed copies of the ACSI guide, a bit bulky, and doesn't include reviews (which is the main advantage of the app), but could be useful if you have the space to take them. If you decide to get one, don't leave it too late, as i think it took mine 2 or 3 weeks to come through when I last signed up.
Two tonne tin drum
martinc
Bongonaut

Post by martinc » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:52 am

Yes, if you are going in September it could well be worth your while getting the CampingCard. We have managed to get a discount on the odd occasion at the very end of August in previous years, and you should be luckier in September. Remember, though, that not all ACSI listed sites participate in the discount scheme. For the sake of a tenner (if that's what it still is) I would definitely get one if travelling in September. You should get your money back pretty quickly. You also get the printed copies of the ACSI guide, a bit bulky, and doesn't include reviews (which is the main advantage of the app), but could be useful if you have the space to take them. If you decide to get one, don't leave it too late, as i think it took mine 2 or 3 weeks to come through when I last signed up.[/quote]

i looked into the camping card , ive just checked on the website and they are out of stock of English versions !! typical . i am also going to take your advice and wait till we need a vignette and see if we are going to cross into that country.
Martin
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:34 pm

As an aside, on the subject of crazy schedules, in my pre-Bongo life I did this in a week :shock:

France, Spain, Portugal, Gibraltar, Morocco, Andorra, Monaco, Italy & Switzerland. I was pressing on too hard at one point and had a frustrating delay in Portugal while I awaited an extraction team to remove my car from a ditch :oops: :lol:

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:15 pm

Verily Muz, thou art an complete fruitcake! :lol: 8)
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Honoured, m'Lud :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Honoured, m'Lud :D
I suppose you could call that pic 'Motoring off the beaten track'. :lol:

Get thee to a nunnery Muz, try and try and behave when you get there, and say (not do) 10 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Marys as penance for your trans-European transgressions and to atone for your sins in endangering all those European peasants just because you were in a hurry. :shock: [-X

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:24 pm

You'll be pleased to know that since we've had a Bongo, unlikely as it may sound, we've settled down. How about 2,225 miles in a '62 Land-Rover in 5 days? :lol:

Katielhenderson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Katielhenderson » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:45 am

Any problems with the French toll tag working? Mine tells me to stick it in the shaded area on the windscreen. My Bongo doesn't have a shaded area and it tells me that UV protection in the windscreen may prevent it from working! Help! Off to France tonight so any speedy replies with experience would be greatly appreciated!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:03 am

Welcome aboard, Katie.

Can't answer your question, sorry, but good luck and have a great trip. :D

Could be worth starting a new thread with your question. 8)
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:32 am

martinc wrote:just to give everyone a rough idea of what we are undertaking , i have done this plan . any helpful ideas and tips would be great , cheers.

Day 1
Oswestry – Dover
Dover – Calais (ferry)
Calais – Lille
Day 2
Lille – Brussels
Brussels – (via Antwerp) Eindhoven
Day 3
Eindhoven – Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf – Frankfurt
Day 4
Frankfurt – Wurzburg
Wurzburg – Nuremburg
Day 5
Nuremburg – Prague
Day 6
Prague – Vienna
Day 7
Vienna – Orsegi national park
Day 8
Orsegi – Zagreb
Day 9
Zagreb – Venice
Day 10
Venice – (via Verona) Milan
Day 11
Milan – genoa
Day 12
Genoa – Monaco
Day 13
Monaco – Turin
Day 14
Turin – Chamonix
Chamonix – Geneva
Day 15
Geneva – Basel
Day 16
Basel – Strasbourg
Day 17
Strasbourg – Luxembourg
Day 18
Luxembourg – lens
Day 19
Lens – Calais
Calais – Dover (ferry)
Dover – Oswestry

Thanks for looking any advice on European travel insurance , regulations in the different regions , and anything really would really really help ! [-o<
I recently did a 5,000 mile road trip round Europe for 5 weeks in a tin top so don't see anything beyond possible with your plan.

Some quick thoughts on your itinerary;

If you like driving hairpin roads then when in Zagreb take a trip up the Bliznec Road (or Sljemenska Cesta to give it its proper name) passed the big bear. Great driving and on a clear day a nice place to stop with good views over the city.

Going from Zagreb to Venice, consider visiting Plitvice Lakes National Park, you'll be blown away at the beauty of the place. You'd also pass through Rastoke which is a village built in a limestone ravine sitting atop a whole load of water falls.

It might be a bit off your return route but if you can fit in the Grimsel and Furka passes you will not be disappointed. Head up via Brig and you enter the valley with the two passes in front of you. Head up the Furka pass first then at the top of the Grimsel pass is a small road controlled by traffic lights that takes you to the Oberalsee where you can wild camp in peace.

After Basel I went up and wild camped at the top of le Grand Ballon( excellent views across France on a clear day) and onto Metz which is a gorgeous city to wander or cycle round, again free camping in the city centre in some dedicated camping car spaces just outside the main campsite.

In Luxembourg city, you can in the P+R for free (but still validate your ticket in the machine on your return) and the whole city has great free wifi. Another beautiful city with lots of places to explore.

I'll get back to this thread later today with some practical info that might be of use.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:32 am

We just positioned ours to the left of the rear-view mirror looking from inside (on the passenger side) at high level, worked fine every time.

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”