Wood burning stove and USB charger

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Muffatt
Bongonaut

Wood burning stove and USB charger

Post by Muffatt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:26 am

Oooh I definitely need one of these for Betty Bongo!

This would be perfect for heating up the awning, boiling the kettle and charging my phone and iPod and it's eco friendly too :)

And not a bad price either and just the right size to pack away under the R&R bed :)

http://www.outbacktrading.co.uk/product ... tAodEIoMDw

That'll be going on my Christmas wish list this year!
Celeste
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Wood burning stove and USB charger

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 am

Looks a neat idea but if you can get one a lot cheaper without the USB then I would go for that. The USB is just a gimmick. 2W of power at maximum output will struggle to charge a smartphone, a lot like the iPhone won't even start to charge with such a small amount. Most modern phones need around 25W+ to charge at a normal rate.
Andyf
Bongonaut

Post by Andyf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 am

Like the look of that a lot.

Love how if you get the kettle as well the stove fits inside the kettle for storage.

All I need to know is how long will it take to charge my leisure battery :shock: :lol:
www.bongodecals.com
Manufacturer of quality replacement decals for Mazda Bongo's and Ford Freda's
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:37 am

Hi
MMMMM.....stick an "ECO" label on anything and it sells for a bundle of sausage'n'mash...I think you'd just about have enough power in one of those to warm the toilet tent on a cold night...but heat an awning??????...The heat measured is the flame for boiling a kettle, and you'd almost certainly get similar heat off a hurricane lamp with a lot less phaffing about :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am

£108, you've got to be joking!!
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 am

Try a Lidl Solar phone charger. £11.99. Plus a cheap space heater from Towsure to go on a gas stove burner. Be aware of ventilation issues and do not leave on in the Bongo or a sealed tent. Far more effective for a fracton of the price.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Yikes! Make sure it doesn't fall over and incinerate the phone #-o
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Definetly don't use in an awning, carbon monoxide.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:46 pm

make your own ------- come on, its easy, and a lot cheaper. add one old bean tin and a metal cup and old computer fan to one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/12151572 ... 108&ff19=0.

i made one of these out of the same unit. ----- for about a fiver.

http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/Ecofan_ ... wwodfcoKJw.

if your really fruggle you can rip the bits out of one of these, they contain all you need.

http://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/waec ... tAodnRkKzQ.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) . :)

look on youtube for peltier unit.
Muffatt
Bongonaut

Post by Muffatt » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:32 am

Wowsers never realised sharing something so simple would get so many opinionated replies ;)

I get it, most of you think this is a waste of time, a waste of money and it won'y do what it says on the tin.

But I happen to like the idea, its neat, its innovative and yes its eco friendly... which is exactly what I want, I happen to be an organic business so anything I can use on my camping trips that reduces waste, packaging etc gets a thumbs up from me, I try to do things that offsets the fact I am driving a rather un-environmentally friendly vehicle at the end of the day!

I have a Cobb BBQ too which I use at every opportunity, they also are very expensive to buy, best part of £250 but it gets used every week at home and away, yes I can use a camping stove with gas cannisters but I don't want to so if I can find other gadgets to use on my weekends away that make my life simple then great.

In fact my Cobb does a great job of taking the chill off in my little awning once dinner has been cooked, and of course we're not stupid enough to ever use that in a confined space without adequate ventilation :)
Celeste
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 am

Muffatt wrote:Wowsers never realised sharing something so simple would get so many opinionated replies ;)

I get it, most of you think this is a waste of time, a waste of money and it won'y do what it says on the tin.

But I happen to like the idea, its neat, its innovative and yes its eco friendly... which is exactly what I want, I happen to be an organic business so anything I can use on my camping trips that reduces waste, packaging etc gets a thumbs up from me, I try to do things that offsets the fact I am driving a rather un-environmentally friendly vehicle at the end of the day!

I have a Cobb BBQ too which I use at every opportunity, they also are very expensive to buy, best part of £250 but it gets used every week at home and away, yes I can use a camping stove with gas cannisters but I don't want to so if I can find other gadgets to use on my weekends away that make my life simple then great.

In fact my Cobb does a great job of taking the chill off in my little awning once dinner has been cooked, and of course we're not stupid enough to ever use that in a confined space without adequate ventilation :)
Oh yes you'll get lots of opinions on here! But really there are diamonds and pearls (and some good humour) amongst the opinions and I found I got used to it after a while, and then to love it. People on here are really keen to help, which is great. A lot of them know their stuff too.

Getting back on topic, is the device that eco friendly if it is an inefficient way of generating electricity? The eco-cost of the components etc. has to be factored in too before a full assessment can be made. Also, I think there are many ways to look at the eco-friendliness of Bongoing. For example, is keeping a car going for 20+ years more eco-friendly than changing it every 5 years for a new(er) one. And is campervanning in the UK more eco-friendly than jetting away on holiday (avgas is I believe subsidised in ways our Bongo fuel is not). And in taking kids camping, are they learning more about eco-friendly pursuits. Etc etc. I don't know the answers,but these are questions worth keeping in mind as they are the less visible aspects of eco-friendliness.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 am

Hi
Labelling things "eco-friendly" is a bete-noir for me,when there's clearly no basis for the statement. Lumbering round in a van that's consuming large quantities of a finite resource isn't eco-friendly . I happen to like it, but I don't attempt to sugar-coat it, and burning "waste" wood is not friendly, because wood covers the woodland floor and encourages insect and animal growth...fine...have a fire, but don't con people into thinking it's good for the sake of selling a product.
I was walking the dogs t'other day, and what was meadow-land a couple of years ago, and untouched for nearly a generation, is now cultivated, and walking along the path at the edge of the field, it's visible that although fallow, there is no covering of natural species, and only a different variety of weed that doesn't support wildlife, because on one side you can hear insects buzzing, where the Solar Park is plonked on wild grassland, and on the previously cultivated land it's devoid of sound...PLUS, the wild grassland is supporting bees, mice, rats, hares, martens, and the surrounding area has pheasant, and a huge variety of birds.
To add insult to injury, a lot of the oil produced from the crops that have de-natured many of the fields is used in the manufacture of bio-fuel, taking away a piece of land that if it must be cultivated should be used to grow food for an already over-populated world that we can't apparently feed adequately. We drain the seas of fish to feed the world, and now we burn crops in our vehicles, or add food oil to the fuel to make it cheaper....
I mention the buzzing of bees...well, apparently, in our eco-rush, we're killing off the bees who pollinate the very things we need ...and sit back and wonder what we're going to destroy next in our "i'm all right jack pull up the ladder world"!
An ecologically- correct world is something we clearly haven't got, and I've yet to see one in my life-span....."Consumer-Friendly" is far more apt...because that is precisely what we do...we consume the planet's resources , and wipe our feet on what we've just destroyed!....
Yup....I like camping, but I don't try to con myself into thinking it's n eco-friendly pass-time, as I don't walk there / cycle there, and pitch / sleep and consume little
To round off, in the apparent fuel crisis that never was (1973 from memory...I still have the ration book), everybody was pointing fingers at other people's pass-times and shouting "fuel-waster"....Motor racing was cited as being the "nasty" , but one of the motoring organisations researched across the board to see what pass-time wasted the most fuel....guess what????....that good old eco-frindly pass-time of fishing, because of the huge mileage people do to find a spot to drown worms :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...when a walk to the corner chippy does the job!
have fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:06 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Labelling things "eco-friendly" is a bete-noir for me,when there's clearly no basis for the statement. Lumbering round in a van that's consuming large quantities of a finite resource isn't eco-friendly . I happen to like it, but I don't attempt to sugar-coat it, and burning "waste" wood is not friendly, because wood covers the woodland floor and encourages insect and animal growth...fine...have a fire, but don't con people into thinking it's good for the sake of selling a product.
I was walking the dogs t'other day, and what was meadow-land a couple of years ago, and untouched for nearly a generation, is now cultivated, and walking along the path at the edge of the field, it's visible that although fallow, there is no covering of natural species, and only a different variety of weed that doesn't support wildlife, because on one side you can hear insects buzzing, where the Solar Park is plonked on wild grassland, and on the previously cultivated land it's devoid of sound...PLUS, the wild grassland is supporting bees, mice, rats, hares, martens, and the surrounding area has pheasant, and a huge variety of birds.
To add insult to injury, a lot of the oil produced from the crops that have de-natured many of the fields is used in the manufacture of bio-fuel, taking away a piece of land that if it must be cultivated should be used to grow food for an already over-populated world that we can't apparently feed adequately. We drain the seas of fish to feed the world, and now we burn crops in our vehicles. or add food oil to the fuel to make it cheaper....
I mention the buzzing of bees...well, apparently, in our eco-rush, we're killing off the bees who pollinate the very things we need ...and sit back and wonder what we're going to destroy next in our "i'm all right jack pull up the ladder world"!
An ecologically- correct world is something we clearly haven't got, and I've yet to see one in my life-span....."Consumer-Friendly" is far more apt...because that is precisely what we do...we consume the planet's resources , and wipe our feet on what we've just destroyed!....
Yup....I like camping, but I don't try to con myself into thinking it's n eco-friendly pass-time, as I don't walk there / cycle there, and pitch / sleep and consume little
To round off, in the apparent fuel crisis that never was (1973 from memory...I still have the ration book), everybody was pointing fingers at other people's pass-times and shouting "fuel-waster"....Motor racing was cited as being the "nasty" , but oneof the motoring organisations researched across the board to see what pass-time wasted the most fuel....guess what????....that good old eco-frindly pass-time of fishing, because of the huge mileage people do to find a spot to drown worms :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...when a walk to the corner chippy does the job!
have fun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Love the fishing story! The whole eco topic is an interesting one. I can only think that:

* There's an overburden of humans and thats causing the problem, but really we're stuck with that
* Passing time (pastimes) is what we need to do in a less energy consuming way rather than encouraging the whole world to our dinosaur old First World addictions
* Bio machines such as the human body are the most efficient and eco-friendly energy converters. Lets use (gently and naturally) rather than watch them become an expensive social liability through inactivity etc.
* Very little is what it seems. The marketeers know 'eco magic' sells stuff and they use it to shift product, but often the most eco-friendly things are very mundane and get overlooked. For example, if you drive a 20 year Bongo, use its 8 seats to lift-share kids to school, and then drive to a field and then spend 3 days walking or reading a book, then the carbon footprint is probably much less than buying a new 60mpg 5-seat car, driving around a lot because you like being in its newness, and then jetting to Italy and spending 3 days doing coach tours.

The big challenge in the First World is re-educating our minds and our wants. I do know that I have been capable of enjoying nothing more than reading a book or spending days making something in wood, or playing guitar. Cooking (a la campervan even) would be another great pastime in that respect. So simple pleasures can become the best. As I get oldish, I notice that my biggest pleasure is good company, peace, and a landscape to gaze at or walk in for as much as I am able.

Woops, we're wayyyy off thread again :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:02 pm

Hi
Mike
*An overburden of humans...well...in yesteryear the answer was simple...cannibalism...of a sort...if you ever watched the film "Soylent Green" it's the same thing...(I never liked the acting in that dreary film)
*Dinosaur First World addictions....well....I haven't yet seen the latest Jurassic Epic, but I have high hopes for a spot of enjoyment from it! :lol: ...I must agree on the topic of finding energy- saving fun and frolics that folk can enjoy
*The Human body as a bio-machine...I agree wholeheartedly...it looks as though the world's population in the West has taken it too literally and taken on the mantle of Human waste-disposal units consuming huge shovelfuls of indescribable rubbish from fast-food chains , and becoming an obese population (I'm an ex-fatso...just as bad as an ex-smoker :lol: )
*Very little is what it seems...most definitely so ...I agree that new cars are a bit of a sore point in terms of wasting valuable energy in the manufacture...perhaps there should be a points system awarded, so people would have to earn a new bolide....but sure as politicians and jounalists hatch from an egg, someone would find a loophole in that one!......jetting off on holiday....oh, HELL...don't start me off on that one....YEWK....fat slimy bodies baking on sandy beaches......YUKKKK
Oh, yess...I like making things, sitting in the country and enjoying the quiet and the scenery, or playing a musical instrument, or just a bit of solitude and thinking
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Isn't it weird how those with money like to dine on expensive food then spend money going to the gym (in cars) to stay fit. Why don't they take exercise by doing something useful? I have a business idea: open a gym whose USP is that it will take all the energy expended by those on the exercise devices, to generate electricity that can be fed back into the National Grid to great cash that helps reduce the cost of gym membership :lol:

So I thought I'd google that and it looks like it has already been done:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... break.html

Ya gotta larf :lol:

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”